Alaska

Scotspea

Just back home after Christmas and New Year on Shadow followed by time in NZ and HK. Best Silversea cruise yet with superb crew and food. In fact, the food in the MDR was so good we cancelled our Le Champ. bookings!

Thinking of booking Vancouver to Tokyo September 2013 but a bit concerned that the weather in Alaska may be way past its best. I would be grateful for any advice.

Thanks

We went to Alaska early in September in 2008, we started from Vancouver, went up the Inside passage and came back down to San Francisco.

It was a fantastic voyage and the weather was fine on the whole, It was very foggy the first day out, and I have a recollection that it was wet and somewhat foggy in Ketchikan and I think on the White Pass railway but generally it was fine for sightseeing.

Actually, Ketchikan was great for us because we went to bear watch at Neets Bay which was the most amazing experience, with the bear only 20 feet away at times. That was the most amazing afternoon. That same day, however, some friends went to Misty Fjords which certainly lived up to their name, as our friends didn't see a thing.

I think we may have been lucky with the weather but I would certainly not be put off going again at that time, although the next trip for us would be earlier in the season to compare and contrast.

The cruising season was winding down and there was a certain " getting ready for hibernation" feel to some of the towns but there were still a lot of ships in Skagway and Ketchikan, rather too many for my liking but we managed to avoid most of the crowds and, I gather, these places are even fuller in the high season.

We have been to Alaska twice (with Princess) - once in early May (one of the first cruises of the season) and then in mid June. The scenery and wildlife is fantastic.

We had wonderful weather both months. In fact, when we went the second time in June, the weather was so good that i got sun-burned and the local schools let out early for the summer break.

We loved Alaska so much we are going again, this time in July (I want to see salmon and bears up close this time!) with Silversea next year.

I think you're doing what is basically a repositioning cruise. It's the end of the Alaska season so you may not see bears catching salmon, for example. Or even bears at all. The weather may not be so great but at least it's the end of summer, so the ship should be able to get into passages and sounds that may have been blocked by ice etc earlier in the season. But it depends on what you're going for. We love the wildlife so that's our draw card.

Scotspea,

There are five of us already booked on that cruise. Prices were too good to pass up. Weather in Alaska can always be dicey, between rain, early/late snows, cold and such; but, the only part we're concerned about are the sea days crossing the Straits. That is more about sea condition than actual temperatures though. One thing I might offer is that this cruise may be a candidate to forego a balcony if you normally get one.

Greg

Scotspea,

There are five of us already booked on that cruise. Prices were too good to pass up. Weather in Alaska can always be dicey, between rain, early/late snows, cold and such; but, the only part we're concerned about are the sea days crossing the Straits. That is more about sea condition than actual temperatures though. One thing I might offer is that this cruise may be a candidate to forego a balcony if you normally get one.

Greg

We also booked because of the price, (fully realising it was repositioning), which we thought was too good to be true and expected a correction! One always takes a chance with weather, only the odds change. We will keep our fingers crossed.

Holey moley, I have just checked out the price for this cruise and my eyes almost fell out of my head!

We are already booked on the 11 day Alaska cruise out of Vancouver in July 2013 but we are seriously considering transferring our booking to this longer and cheaper cruise! Especially because we've not spent any time at all in Japan, there's an added Russian port and we also get to go back to Alaska.

My only concern is that I really, really, really wanted to see bears up close this third time to Alaska. But if we switch from July to Spetember, we might not get that oppotunity.

But... 16 days! For less than 11. And... Japanese ports too...

Decisions, decisions...

We, too, are booked on this Vancouver to Tokyo cruise and stay aboard through to Shanghai. This will be our first time in Alaska and we're looking forward to returning to Japan and China. It looks like we could get a good roll call going nearer the time!

This will be our first with Silversea, having been with Cunard, Regent and, later this year, Seabourn. We are looking forward to the experience and to picking up lots of tips from the Silversea regulars.

K.

• 7 months later...

Thinking of booking Vancouver to Tokyo September 2013 but a bit concerned that the weather in Alaska may be way past its best. I would be grateful for any advice.

Thanks

I posted this in February but would be interested to know if any of the posters just back from this years cruise could add anything. Jennifer and SS, with hindsight, would you do the same cruise at this time of the year or is the chance of bad weather too great.

Thanks

Thinking of booking Vancouver to Tokyo September 2013 but a bit concerned that the weather in Alaska may be way past its best. I would be grateful for any advice. Thanks

I posted this in February but would be interested to know if any of the posters just back from this years cruise could add anything. Jennifer and SS, with hindsight, would you do the same cruise at this time of the year or is the chance of bad weather too great. Thanks

Scotspea

I wouldn't do the cruise again because I've now done it and crossed it off my bucket list.

It really is in the lap of the gods as to the weather. Vancouver was fabulous, the morning of Ketchikan was lovely and then it was overcast in the pm, Juneau was sunny for awhile but in the pm it was raining lightly & cold, Skagway was overcast but cold, Kodiak for bloody cold, windy & raining lightly. The week before we arrived, Alaska was having very warm temps so u just never know.

HOWEVER, my idea of cold would not be the same as yours since u live in the UK and are used to much colder weather than I am.

I would say that if u definitely wanted warm weather in Alaska, go right in the peak of the season - but even then, it isn't guaranteed.

One other thing, the highlight for me was Petropavlovsk - it was so unexpected and so beautiful plus we had the best weather that day.

Hope that helps.

Cheers

Jennifer

Agree with Jennifer, but would add that the day we crossed into the Bering Sea and the day after that were both pretty rough. This was the first time that I have ever seen one of SS's ships festooned with sick bags. They were everywhere in the public spaces, in the lifts and all up and down the stairs. Didn't see one get used apart from the joker who put one over a piece of art. The art owners were definitely NOT amused.

If you take this voyage you should be prepared for some rough weather and also be prepared for it to be cold. The outside of the ship was effectively unusable on some days, either too cold or just too wet.

Would I do it again, yes at some point.

And one final comment, on the 2013 voyage SS are advertising Gentleman Hosts, there were none on this voyage, and I don't understand why. There were 23 solo travellers with a number of single women and they had no one to dance with.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there, first time cruiser going to be taking the Alaska experience in followed by the repositioning cruise to Tokyo that follows. This will be the second major cruise for DW, as she will be slumming it with her MIL in July on the Silver Whisper going to St. Petersburg!

I cannot tell you how much I am looking forward to the voyage and the weather will be whatever it will be.

Archived