How Much Cash do you Take for Western Caribbean Shore Purchases?

hwfiv

We're traveling on the Allure next week, stopping in Labadee, Falmouth and Cozumel.

We understand from reading the boards that American dollars are accepted by vendors. We're not looking to make a lot of major purchases, but if there are t-shirts that we like or gifts that would be nice for friends/family at home, etc., we want to be sure we have cash on hand to make the purchases while on the shore excursions.

But none of us have been to the Caribbean and have NO idea how much cash to have on hand for various shore purchases. And we're guessing there won't be a lot of ATM's available (or if there are, the fees will be outrageous!).

Would love to hear what others have done in terms of carrying cash for miscellaneous gift purchases... And have you all just carried American dollars?

Thanks!

If all you're looking for is some tees/souveniers, bring about $150 (American!!!)....you may not spend it all, but you'll have it if you need it. Try to bring some $10's and $20....you don't want huge bills for a smaller purchase, or you may get local money as change...you don't want that!

You're right....no sense in paying to access your own money...just bring cash on the cruise...you'll have a safe to store it in!

I spend conservatively on shore and don't anticipate purchasing more than a few small trinkets to bring home so I generally don't carry more than $50 or $60 when I go on land. Most of that money goes to local food and drinks and whatever is left goes to shopping if I see something I really like. The only time I carry more money than that is if I have to pay cash for a shore excursion.

I do carry American bills and haven't had a problem with them being accepted, and I do carry it in smaller denominations. I try not to carry a lot of cash because I tend to lose things while traveling and I don't want to carry any amount of money I'd REALLY be upset about losing if it did happen!

Will you be pre-paying for excursions? We plan to bring enough cash for taxis, lunch and local snacks. In Labadee bring 1s and 5s so you can bargain anything you want. Tee shirts will be about the same you pay when you go to the beach with the kids. You can find $30 shirts and you can find the ones that are 3 for $10.

Don't overdo the shirts! You'll be back. Have FUN!

Will you be pre-paying for excursions? We plan to bring enough cash for taxis, lunch and local snacks. In Labadee bring 1s and 5s so you can bargain anything you want. Tee shirts will be about the same you pay when you go to the beach with the kids. You can find $30 shirts and you can find the ones that are 3 for $10.

Don't overdo the shirts! You'll be back. Have FUN!

Yes, we prepaid for everything on our shore excursions right through RCI - we figured it was easiest that way and even if it did cost more money than booking independently, we have zero stress about what to do and where to go - and it's up to them to get us back on time.

Great comment about the t-shirts! SO easy to buy every one you see (in my case, it's for the nephew and niece who love them - but even still... they can add up!)

Thank you everyone for the GREAT help!!

I want to carry enough cash, but also since it can get lost or pickpocketed, etc., I don't want to go overboard...

I must say, this is my first Royal Caribbean trip, but if the people ON board are as nice as you guys have been with giving tips and advice, then it's bound to be a very very fun and nice trip!!

Another similar question, are Credit cards accepted on these three islands and if so are their random fees thrown in?

I for one wouldn't use a credit card in Mexico or the Islands. Too much of a risk with identity theft. That is just me though. We always pay in cash when we are off the ship.

Archived