Bedwetters

bunchesofun

My son had the same problem and all of those ways of helping did not help him either until I did a little web surfing and found a bedwetting alarm. It worked miracles!! Within a month he was able to wake himself up and use the restroom. All it was was that his brain had no clue what his bladder was telling him, and this helped get the message to it. You can find it on amazon or ebay and it is called: malem ultimate bedwetting alarm

Works brilliantly for some. For others- woke me up but he remained deeply asleep. Certainly worth trying.

give her a large plastic ziplock bag and a plastic bag. Tell her to bring her tote into the bathroom with her. Her friends may be more aware of it than she realizes and will not say anything. Other brands may be more "silent". And let her know that the time will come when it is not an issue. And yes you may be right about girls. But all the encouragement she can get will help.

Thanks for your advice, but I have tried it all!

I have told her about the ziploc idea, but her fear of anybody finding out overshadows that idea..."What if they see it".

Her friends wouldn't know about her problem because she has never had or done a sleepover because of her fear of them finding out. She is very well "aware" of her problem. Trust me having 4 kids, I am the queen of encouragement, but in this situation it doesn't help.

I have tried other brands, but Good Nights seems to fit her small frame the best with no leakage. I can't hear anything, but of course she can. I think it is more in her head.

Thanks for your advice, but I have tried it all!

I have told her about the ziploc idea, but her fear of anybody finding out overshadows that idea..."What if they see it".

Her friends wouldn't know about her problem because she has never had or done a sleepover because of her fear of them finding out. She is very well "aware" of her problem. Trust me having 4 kids, I am the queen of encouragement, but in this situation it doesn't help.

I have tried other brands, but Good Nights seems to fit her small frame the best with no leakage. I can't hear anything, but of course she can. I think it is more in her head.

The day will come when the appeal of the event will overcome the fear of discovery. Don't give up. Of course it is mostly in her head. And her friends must wonder why she doesn't do the sleepovers- but I found that the boys at least were astonishingly kind about it all. Of course, my son had other issues so they already knew something was up. The time will come. In the meantime- you have my sympathy- I know how hard it is as a mom.

When my older daughter was about 12, she was still wetting the bed. The Dr. told us it was very common because the bladder is one of the last organs in the body to fully develop and it will go away on it's own.

We used Good Nights until it did stop.

I really feel sorry for kids going through this. :(

The day will come when the appeal of the event will overcome the fear of discovery. Don't give up. Of course it is mostly in her head. And her friends must wonder why she doesn't do the sleepovers- but I found that the boys at least were astonishingly kind about it all. Of course, my son had other issues so they already knew something was up. The time will come. In the meantime- you have my sympathy- I know how hard it is as a mom.

When my older daughter was about 12, she was still wetting the bed. The Dr. told us it was very common because the bladder is one of the last organs in the body to fully develop and it will go away on it's own.

We used Good Nights until it did stop.

I really feel sorry for kids going through this. :(

Thank you both for the inspiration, sometimes it's helpful just hearing about other people's experiences and that we are not the only ones going through this and that one day it will end. :)

Tonit964 what you said about the bladder is what our daughter's doctor has also told us. It wouldn't be a real surprise. Our daughter didn't sit up, walk or crawl until she was around 3 and didn't talk until she was 5. So we will just have to patiently wait for this to happen and then, when it does, we will have to celebrate with a No Good Night cruise! :D

My second youngest son wet the bed until he was 14. He was so embarrasserd about it. But around age 8 when it suddenly came back we went to see our general practitioner and she gave him an alarm.... that didn't work. So she then put him on DDAVP (Generic: Desmopressin) which is a synthetic form of vasopressin, which is the hormone that reduces urine production. And the medicine worked... but wasn't making it go away in the long run. Like every night he used it... it worked, but not always when he didn't use it. We then went to see a urologist and he prescribed Oxybutinin, which blocks acetylcholine to relieve urinary and bladder difficulties.

Our DD had a bedwetting problem back in the day.... We got the prescription and that was the first thing that ever worked for her. It is a natural hormone that our bodies make. Some kids don't have enough of the hormone, and that is a common cause of bedwetting. We had done the Goodnights and the alarm. Neither helped in her situation. I highly recommend the prescription.

Different things work for different kids. Nothing worked for my son but time. The most difficult thing in many ways. Just waiting it out. But if he could outgrown it, almost all kids can and will. I still have to remind him to stop in a restroom when he has the chance or he forgets and then there is an emergency.

These are things that you aren't thinking of when you have kids. You never know what life is going ot throw at you.

Different things work for different kids. Nothing worked for my son but time. The most difficult thing in many ways. Just waiting it out. But if he could outgrown it, almost all kids can and will. I still have to remind him to stop in a restroom when he has the chance or he forgets and then there is an emergency.

These are things that you aren't thinking of when you have kids. You never know what life is going ot throw at you.

Very well said!

Thanks.

One more thing- it is like childbirth (so they say- I did mine the easy way and adopted all 3)- you forget the pain after a while. This thread has reminded me of the days when this was a constant issue. And how nice it is not to worry about it every day and every night. I need to remember to count my blessings.

My son needed goodnights until he was 11, and my daughter is 8 and still uses them too. Their dad also wet the bed until he was about 12, so it is highly hereditary.

I've never made an issue of it, and my kids aren't afraid to tell their close friends about it....they sleep over all the time (no overnight camps yet, for my daughter but definitely friends' houses).

I think Carnival would have a mattress cover if you call ahead - they would deal with this often, I would think. Its much more common than people realize because many don't talk about it.

My son just outgrew it eventually and my daughter at 8 is about 40% dry nights through the week....not enough to go without the Good nights, but we're getting there :)

Good luck!!

Someone needs to work with the young man to help him understand that depends (do NOT call them diapers) are a better option than wetting a bed. Sounds like everyone wants to pretend it doesn't happen.

actually, the experts say the opposite.

waking and hiding masks the triggers.

op....ask for a mattress cover.

Not to get off topic, Just a helpful tip I wanted to pass along to my cc friends. My sister's daughter age 10 is a betwetter & very self conscious about it, wont sleep at anyone's house. My sister brought her to a urologist, everything was fine. The dr. put her on these pills and the bedwetting stopped. The dr said he would slowly wean her off the pills, but you can definitely see a change in her self esteem & self confidence. Dr said many children have this. Just passing this along no need to have a child suffer silently when this issue can be fixed in a day. PS. My son's friend had same issue into his teens, took these pills & it stopped.

My daughter took the same medication (wish I could remember the name of it) and WOW what a difference. Immediately upon taking the first pill, the first night, she never wet the bed again. I only wish they would have had that same pill when I was a kid :)

Yep, he'll be 16 on the trip so pull ups are probably not gonna be something he wants to do even with the adult ones. And he's a BIG guy. I'll call Carnival, but just thought someone might have had some experience with this already. Kinda didn't want to have to mention it if I didn't have to.

Mentioning this might be quite embarrassing to the young man. Why not talk with his mom in regards to the adult diapers and have her suggest them to him, tell him he can be discreet and no one else has to know about them. She might be able to take care of the situation and prevent some embarrassment.

Ok ... for the original issue ...

Talk to the mother of the boy - find out what he ordinarily does when he stays at hotels - she and he probably already have this covered. Whether the solution is depends or chux pads, or something else. Advise her to also pack a roll of bathroom wastebasket sized trash bags so he can easily dispose of them without anyone seeing what is inside the bag or smelling anything.

Ask the room steward to cover ALL the beds with a liner - "in case of spills - you know how kids can be!" Then no one is singled out, and every bed is protected, so the kids can choose their beds without anyone being embarrased.

You know the kid - if you feel he would be comfortable, just mention it to him privately that you know about his situation and if he ever needs anything to let you know - like if the bed needs changing - just let him know that it is ok if he wants to just pull the cover up and tell you and you will let the steward know ... that sort of thing.

Hopefully it won't be an issue. I would guess by 16 they have worked out a situation of Depends or some other undergarment so he is able to stay away from home without worrying about it.

Archived