Mini-Suite vs. Balcony on Crown

Sassy's Mom

Last year we sailed on the Crown and though we had booked a guaranteed room at a balcony level (can't recall which one) but were upgraded to a mini-suite (AB class on Dolphin deck - port).

We tried the same strategy this time and booked balcony (BD) and were hoping for an upgrade. Since we sail in early March and have been assigned a balcony (BD on Baja deck - starboard), I am doubtful that we will get bumped at this stage of the game.

My question is this....will we be disappointed with this room? From what I see on the Princess website, it would cost us approximately $1,000 to upgrade to a mini-suite (AD class). Though I hate to spend that kind of money this late in the game, being in a room that we feel is too small will damper the trip.

We did spend a fair amount of time in our room and on our balcony each day.

Personally I think $1000 is an awful lot for a sofa and larger bathroom. You are still going to have a balcony no matter which room you choose.

I would take the balcony and use the $1000 towards a nice piece of jewelry! But that's just me.....:D

First, chances are very slim you'd be upgraded to an AD from a standard balcony cabin at any time. These are among the first cabins to be sold. The vast majority of so-called upgrades are the exact same cabin type in a different location so the chances of being upgraded from a balcony to a mini-suite are slim. The default for all bookings is that you would accept an upgrade. The only passengers not eligible are those who specifically mark their cabins, "No upgrade." So, this should not be a strategy because you're bound to be disappointed. :(

It's up to you to decide whether it's worth paying $1,000 additional for a mini. Most would say, "No", me included.

Pam is right, they usually upgrade only within categories. I personally do not care for the open balconies on the Dolphin deck, my preference is balcony caribe deck. The only discomfort is the smaller bathroom but I enjoy the larger balcony that is partially covered.

Archived