Wow - hard to book a family on millennium

LouMonika

Has anyone else experienced this. Third party booking sites list fv gty aft staterooms available for two adults and two children on millennium Alaska, but discussions and reviews indicate the risk is getting a smaller non suite concierge class. Checking celebritys site directly shows fv unvailable, but sky suites with suite amenities available for two adults and two children but direct you to call as these suites though not sold out can only be booked by calling. When I called the supervisor said that is incorrect as all sky suites on millennium are only double or triple but no quad occupancy ever even though line agent I spoke with first said quad occupancy is potentially available but not now because revenue dept hadn't released them yet. So I can't book a specific fv directly with celebrity, if I book that on a third party site I risk getting "upgraded" to a smaller cabin that does not have suite amenities, and the sky suite is indicated available if I call on celebrity's website but the agents say thats not available now and contradict each other on whether it ever may become available. Seems like it should be easier to spend 10-15k in this economy (all in with flights excursions and cabin chrges)! Anyone else figured out how to get this done. Maybe I'm not made for fit with celebrity but I wanted an upgraded experience and am not a fan of the mouse. Please any suggestions would be appreciated help. Thanks

Has anyone else experienced this. Third party booking sites list fv gty aft staterooms available for two adults and two children on millennium Alaska, but discussions and reviews indicate the risk is getting a smaller non suite concierge class. Checking celebritys site directly shows fv unvailable, but sky suites with suite amenities available for two adults and two children but direct you to call as these suites though not sold out can only be booked by calling. When I called the supervisor said that is incorrect as all sky suites on millennium are only double or triple but no quad occupancy ever even though line agent I spoke with first said quad occupancy is potentially available but not now because revenue dept hadn't released them yet. So I can't book a specific fv directly with celebrity, if I book that on a third party site I risk getting "upgraded" to a smaller cabin that does not have suite amenities, and the sky suite is indicated available if I call on celebrity's website but the agents say thats not available now and contradict each other on whether it ever may become available. Seems like it should be easier to spend 10-15k in this economy (all in with flights excursions and cabin chrges)! Anyone else figured out how to get this done. Maybe I'm not made for fit with celebrity but I wanted an upgraded experience and am not a fan of the mouse. Please any suggestions would be appreciated help. Thanks

Wow, this is giving me a headache trying to figure out what you want.

If you're looking to book a FOV, my understanding is that can only be done by phone with Celebrity. From what I've read on the boards, they originally reserve them for parties of 5. You don't say what month you're looking to cruise and I don't know how far out they release them for smaller parties.

I think that if this is what you're looking to do, your best bet would be to keep calling Celebrity. Or get a travel agent to work on it. You can talk to Celebrity ten times and get ten different answers. So be persistent if this is what you want.

Thanks Linda. Celebrity supv said he'd call me back. So I think I'm headed to what you advise. I just thought it odd celebrity made family suites available on third party booking sites but not directly and indicates sky suites are available on their own site for a quad family but only if call and when call supv and agent say not available but contradict each other about whether ever will be. I agree with your advice and am headed that way with celebrity, but am also interested in any comments n this or other cruise lines from this forum's experts. Appreciate your response very much. Thanks.

Wow, this is giving me a headache trying to figure out what you want.

If you're looking to book a FOV, my understanding is that can only be done by phone with Celebrity. From what I've read on the boards, they originally reserve them for parties of 5. You don't say what month you're looking to cruise and I don't know how far out they release them for smaller parties.

I think that if this is what you're looking to do, your best bet would be to keep calling Celebrity. Or get a travel agent to work on it. You can talk to Celebrity ten times and get ten different answers. So be persistent if this is what you want.

Hi LouMonika,

My understanding is the same as HAPPY CRUISER 6143's... it seems by reading your post that you are just a family of 4 people... so that is certainly going to be part of "the issue" you may be running up against.

Unless, as noted, you are within the timeframe prior to sailing when Celebrity would wave the Requirement for a Family of 5 for a FV Category Stateroom.

Perhaps if you told us when you were sailing, we'd be better able to "guesstimate" what the issue is you are coming up against.

Cheers!

Hi LouMonika,

My understanding is the same as HAPPY CRUISER 6143's... it seems by reading your post that you are just a family of 4 people... so that is certainly going to be part of "the issue" you may be running up against.

Unless, as noted, you are within the timeframe prior to sailing when Celebrity would wave the Requirement for a Family of 5 for a FV Category Stateroom.

Perhaps if you told us when you were sailing, we'd be better able to "guesstimate" what the issue is you are coming up against.

Cheers!

Just curious - How are you going to "guesstimate" what the issue is they are coming up against?

I did test bookings on Celebrity's site, and another travel site, using 2 adults and 2 children on 8/24/12 sailing of the Millennium. Both sites showed NO FV available, and NO SS available. The SS category becomes available when you change the booking to 2 adults.

Not sure what standing policy is in force regarding 2 adults and 2 children in each category of cabin. Obviously some cabins do not have the sleeping facilities for more than two people.

Aug 24, 2012 was first choice. Thanks!

Just curious - How are you going to "guesstimate" what the issue is they are coming up against?

Hi LouMonika,

As HAPPY CRUISER 6143 has said your posting is a bit difficult to follow along on...

So I am going to have to take a "guesstimate" at what you are saying & trying to achieve.

First Off, Family Oceanview Cabins are just Standard Cabins that happen to have a bit more room to them... they are not in any way "upgraded"... so not part of the Concierge Class - Aqua Class - or Suites grouping.

So there will be no extra amenities to these cabins (an issue that sometimes get some postings here... example, why so little furniture in a bigger stateroom, why no footstools / loungers on a bigger balcony etc)

FVs are just a "convenience" that Celebrity offers to families of 5.

They have to be booked with Celebrity by phone... be that direct, or thru a Travel Agent...

By all accounts...

FVs seem to never come up as available for parties less than 5 unless it is close to the cruise date (typically near to or after FINAL PAYMENT based on what I've read here in the past on the CC CELEBRITY BOARD)

If the date you are looking at is August 24, 2012 ... then that is "probably" part of the reason you cannot book them... that dates means you are still almost 7 Months in advance of that cruise date (and aprox 4+ Months in advance of the FINAL PAYMENT Date)

Celebrity will not release them typically this early to the "general population" (those less than 5 in their party) in that they are truly hoping that they can get full price for them (ie the payment of 5 fares not 2, 3 or 4)

If you are looking for comfort... and amenities then a Suite is the way to go.

Wanting to book 4 into a Suite...

Sorry, I don't have any info on this... but it was always my understanding that Suites could accommodate 4 people (except for the NEW AquaClass Suites that will be debuting on The Reflection. Aqua Class has traditionally always been only for 2 people per room)...

I've always been under the assumption that ALL Suites came with a full pull-out sofa-bed from what I've read (vs a couch, trundle or upper berth that is found in other Classes).

If a Suite is what you want (space, comfort and amenities) then I'd call Celebrity again directly and get further clarification on this...

Hope this is (somewhat) helpful,

Cheers!

EDIT - Just did a quick look at the Stateroom Info for Sky Suites on the M-Class Ships (using one of the Celebrity Brochures) ... and it states

That "some" Suites comes with a Sofa Bed (so not all)...

This might be another reason you can't get your booking to go thru... the Sky Suite you are considering isn't set up for 4... or perhaps all the ones for 4 persons are already sold out.

The SS will be a bit tight for four folks, while the FV is about 20-30 square feet larger in the cabin, and has a much larger balcony. My limited research indicates that four folks could qualify for the FV, while it is questionable whether four would be allowed in an SS. Anyhoo, if it were me an FV would be my only choice.

LouMonika: Are the children teens or young children. If they are older then you might also want to consider two adjoining cabins so you'll have two bathrooms and a little privacy for you two. If they are old enough you can even consider rooms that are next to each other, but not connecting, or across the hall. A standard veranda and inside across the hall might be comparable in price to the FV cabins.

We just booked an FV on Infinity a few weeks ago for an August 10th sailing. We are a family of 5, and I thought the kids were a little too young for their own room, so this was the only option for us. I called Celebrity and was checking 3 different summer dates for corner aft FVs and they had at least one available on all of the dates I was looking, so I think they have them and are just not releasing them. Btw, the first Celebrity agent I spoke with told me that FVs were 170 sq. ft and we would all drive each other crazy, which is incorrect. They are larger.

So, not sure how early they will release them for a family of 4, but you might just call celebrity and ask them what your options are. It looks like some of the sky suites could fit 4. The aft CC cabins on decks 7, 8 and 9 look like they will hold 4, and are almost as large as the FV cabins. If your kids are older, you could also consider connecting rooms or a balcony right across from and inside. I priced them all and balcony across from inside was slightly less than the FV, 2 connecting balconies slightly more than an FV.

I think you.can book with Celevrity then switch your booking to.a TA within 90 days.

Thanks one and all for the kind and helpful replies. I was this close to booking owners suite for a little more on sapphire princess when the celebrity agent called me back. She offered the family verandah on millennium 8166 on our date. My kids are too young for their own room as they are 8 and 10. The agent was very nice but unable to answer my questions why the websites indicate potential availability for sky suite for our quad family as she said they all have double or triple but no quad configuration. I'm not sure that's right or if it's just a question that they haven't been released for such bookings yet but either way we decided to give up the suite search and take this cabin. The agent helpfully pointed out it's between but not adjacent to public decks and faces right which is better for quiet and views on northbound route. I added prepaid gratuities to get select dining and plan to add premium beverages packages so it's like we'll have some suite like amenities even if not all. The cabin with it's partition and huge balcony was too good to pass up. Only other suite option on this sailing was royal at almost double the price. Sapphire princess hAd an owners suite for 2k more than we paid but it didn't have a separate room or butler so not directly comparable. In the end we went for the balcony and the price and size of the family verandah. I would not have booked gty family through third party as I would bet you end up with a smaller concierge cabin rather than the family verandah as you can't pick and assign the actual cabin itself. Not a risk I would take as the concierge class has neither concierge lounge nor concierge in reality. Anyhow, very much appreciate the help of the kind responders and now I have to other out how to spend the suite upchrge savings on shore excursions! :-)

Thanks one and all for the kind and helpful replies. I was this close to booking owners suite for a little more on sapphire princess when the celebrity agent called me back. She offered the family verandah on millennium 8166 on our date. My kids are too young for their own room as they are 8 and 10. The agent was very nice but unable to answer my questions why the websites indicate potential availability for sky suite for our quad family as she said they all have double or triple but no quad configuration. I'm not sure that's right or if it's just a question that they haven't been released for such bookings yet but either way we decided to give up the suite search and take this cabin. The agent helpfully pointed out it's between but not adjacent to public decks and faces right which is better for quiet and views on northbound route. I added prepaid gratuities to get select dining and plan to add premium beverages packages so it's like we'll have some suite like amenities even if not all. The cabin with it's partition and huge balcony was too good to pass up. Only other suite option on this sailing was royal at almost double the price. Sapphire princess hAd an owners suite for 2k more than we paid but it didn't have a separate room or butler so not directly comparable. In the end we went for the balcony and the price and size of the family verandah. I would not have booked gty family through third party as I would bet you end up with a smaller concierge cabin rather than the family verandah as you can't pick and assign the actual cabin itself. Not a risk I would take as the concierge class has neither concierge lounge nor concierge in reality. Anyhow, very much appreciate the help of the kind responders and now I have to other out how to spend the suite upchrge savings on shore excursions! :-)

Hi LouMonika,

Glad to hear it all worked out for you to your liking.

Do note though... that the Family Ocean View Staterooms with Verandas, are still just regular cabins... no real perks to them (and NO BUTLER)

Mind you they have a lot of room at aprox 195 Sq Feet on the Millenium vs 175 for a regular cabin.

Maybe some one here on the CC CELEBRITY BOARD who has stayed in one in the past will post some pics for you.

Personally, we like the Concierge Class Cabins... BECAUSE of their perks... like the Welcome Bottle of Sparkling etc.

Mind you many of those same perks are available from Celebrity for an upcharge (you can order the Bon Voyage Package on-line and get the same effect)

A FV and purchasing some "perks" is going to end up being a lot cheaper for you in the long run than 2 seperate cabins or a Suite.

Just bear in mind that the Family Suite is pretty basic stuff when it comes to Celebrity.

Hope this is helpful,

Cheers!

Hi LouMonika,

Do note though... that the Family Ocean View Staterooms with Verandas, are still just regular cabins... no real perks to them (and NO BUTLER)

Mind you they have a lot of room at aprox 195 Sq Feet on the Millenium vs 175 for a regular cabin.

Maybe some one here on the CC CELEBRITY BOARD who has stayed in one in the past will post some pics for you.

Personally, we like the Concierge Class Cabins... BECAUSE of their perks... like the Welcome Bottle of Sparkling etc.

Mind you many of those same perks are available from Celebrity for an upcharge (you can order the Bon Voyage Package on-line and get the same effect)

A FV and purchasing some "perks" is going to end up being a lot cheaper for you in the long run than 2 seperate cabins or a Suite.

Just bear in mind that the Family Suite is pretty basic stuff when it comes to Celebrity.

Hope this is helpful,

Cheers!

Please note:

There are two slightly different plans for the Family Ocean View Veranda (FV) staterooms.

FV's such as 8168 are 271 sq. ft., with an additional balcony area of 242 sq. ft., and they are sandwiched between two other cabins, and have a clear plexi balcony railing.

The other two FV's (on each of the three decks that have FV's), such as FV 8166, are at the outside corners of the each deck, and at 292 sq. ft. are larger because they have an additional little "foyer" area at the door, (which I understand is handy when you have children). You will see the jog if you look at the deck plan. These larger FV's have full metal balconies at the front and corner, and more open railing balconies on the sides (see Larry's photos, at the link below).

I believe there is a slight variation in depth (and therefore the size) of each of these corner verandas, depending on which deck they are located on, as I believe the veranda on each lower deck is slightly longer than the veranda above.

For comparison, a Concierge Class state room on the M-class ships is 191 sq. , with a balcony of 41 sq. ft.

A standard Deluxe Ocean View Veranda stateroom is 170 sq. ft., with a balcony of 38 sq. ft.

So although the Family View stateroom does not have many additional amenities like the Concierge Class and AquaClass staterooms or the Suites (FV's do have 2 TV's, and four/five sun loungers), I think it's hardly accurate to say that the FV is just "a regular cabin" or "pretty basic stuff". On cruise ships, real estate matters. :)

On the website of Larry and Susie Simon (see link below), you will find some great photos of the starboard corner FV 7202 on the Millennium. (I believe this is the longest of the FV balconies, but FV 8166 is pretty close). These photos were taken on the March 15, 2010 sailing, after the renovation of these cabins in 2009. I don't know what kind of additional interior refurbishing will be done during the "solsticization" in April 2012. Hopefully you will get the new veranda furniture from the Solstice class ships.

Here is the link to Larry and Susie's great photos:

http://simon-pics.smugmug.com/Cruises/Cruise-Ship-Rooms-and-Features/FV-Family-View-Aft-Cabins/11677184_XdX2v#!i=823869767&k=gJx3o

There is a photo on the Celebrity website (see link below) of a FV on the solsticed Constellation that has the updated "solsticized" decor.

http://www.celebritycruises.com/explore/ships/detail.do?shipCode=ML#staterooms/explore/ships/stateroomDetails.do%3FcabinType=DO&cabincls=B&shipCode=ML

Thanks one and all for the kind and helpful replies. I was this close to booking owners suite for a little more on sapphire princess when the celebrity agent called me back. She offered the family verandah on millennium 8166 on our date. My kids are too young for their own room as they are 8 and 10. The agent was very nice but unable to answer my questions why the websites indicate potential availability for sky suite for our quad family as she said they all have double or triple but no quad configuration. I'm not sure that's right or if it's just a question that they haven't been released for such bookings yet but either way we decided to give up the suite search and take this cabin. The agent helpfully pointed out it's between but not adjacent to public

decks and faces right which is better for quiet and views on northbound route. I added prepaid gratuities to get select dining and plan to add premium beverages packages so it's like we'll have some suite like amenities even if not all. The cabin with it's partition and huge balcony was too good to pass up. Only other suite option on this sailing was royal at almost double the price. Sapphire princess hAd an owners suite for 2k more than we paid but it didn't have a separate room or butler so not directly comparable. In the end we went for the balcony and the price and size of the family verandah. I would not have booked gty family through third party as I would bet you end up with a smaller concierge cabin rather than the family verandah as you can't pick and assign the actual cabin itself. Not a risk I would take as the concierge class has neither concierge lounge nor concierge in reality. Anyhow, very much appreciate the help of the kind responders and now I have to other out how to spend the suite upchrge savings on shore excursions! :-)

Thank you so much for coming back and letting us know that it worked out for you.

Unfortunately, as far as 3rd party websites are concerned, there are frequently errors on them as to the details of what is offered or available, and realistically, I don't know Celebrity could keep on top of that. I have never seen or heard of a quad Sky Suite, as all of the ones I have stayed in have had a small loveseat that folds out to a single bed.

As Larry and Sue Simon's pictures will show, the bedroom in a FV isn't a fully separate room, and there is no butler service provided to the FV's. In terms of the hierarchy of cabin class, the FV's fall just below the Concierge Class cabins, and above the rest of the veranda cabins. They have somewhat more amenities than standard cabins, and really, are in a class of their own.

I have never heard of anyone that didn't enjoy their FV cabin so I'm hoping that you will have a wonderful cruise.

You might consider taking some of your savings and looking at the purchase of beverage packages, which will make your cruise feel more "all-inclusive". The packages were on sale at a 10% discount until January 31st. You might want to call Celebrity and make the case that you would have purchased them by January 31st if they had sold you the FV cabin when you first began to enquire. Celebrity is pretty good about those kind of things (if at first you don't succeed, ask to speak with a supervisor--they are the ones that make this kind of decision anyhow). Since there are four of you, a 10% discount would add up. I can highly recommend the premium non-alcoholic package. I am not much of a drinker, but I can totally get my money back on the fresh-sqeezed orange juice, the specialty coffees, the fancy frozen or mixed drinks like the non-alcoholic sparkling citrus lemonade (SO refreshing) and the bottled water. The sale price for that package was $16.20 per day, with an additional 15% for gratuities.

Enjoy your trip!!

Aug 24, 2012 was first choice. Thanks!

She offered the family verandah on millennium 8166 on our date.

Hi LouMonika,

Ken and I will be on your sailing also, and just down the hall from you and your family. We're really looking forward to seeing Alaska, and I'm busy planning excursions. We're on the 13 day cruisetour, with 6 days inland after our cruise. We're traveling with our friends from England, and are spending several days in Vancouver pre-cruise.

Glad you got the stateroom you wanted, and happy it all worked out for you. See you over on the roll call forum.

Brenda

I'm glad to hear you were able to get a FV booked.

For anyone else reading this post I just wanted to let you know:

FV cabins are often available for 2-4 people many months in advance. You just have to keep on checking. We have seen this more than once. For our Alaska cruise the end of July had 9197 available 9 months prior for 2 people. We grabbed it but I kept looking because the location under the 10th deck smoking wasn't ideal. Then the beginning of January two more FV opened up. We were able to switch to 7199.

With the price drops this week we considered switching to a Celebrity Suite for $2000 but decided that the balcony on the FV is too good to pass up. We have friends sailing in an inside cabin and will be on our balcony a lot.

Ths is the fourth year in a row that (DH and me)will be sailing on the Constellation in an FV room. They are fabulous. Consisting of two rooms (and corner ones have additional hallway) and a very large veranda.

We booked them at various times. Once, as far as 9 months ahead. More recently we booked in December for our April cruise.

Keep checking the website. They pop up and can be claimed for two as long as they are showing on the website. Then, call your TA and tell him/her you won't accept an "upgrade"....so they don't try to bump you for a family later on.

Hi LouMonika,

Hope this is helpful,

Cheers!

I beg to disagree. Hope you can get a chance to tour one of these cabins on an M class ship some time. You will see what a perfect solution they are for this family of 4. They are quite large and have a wonderful veranda.

To the OP--I'm glad this worked out for you. Enjoy your cruise! I doubt you need a butler and you can purchase your own flowers if you want them. If you're really into sparkling wine, you can purchase that as well, or even bring a good quality champagne aboard with you. Based on the FOVs I've seen, I think you will love this cabin.

... the celebrity agent called me back. She offered the family verandah on millennium 8166 on our date...

...and plan to add premium beverages packages so it's like we'll have some suite like amenities even if not all....

This is great news. 8166 is a fantastic cabin. Someone mentioned that the veranda is smaller than 7202 and while this is true the fact is that without a tape measure you'd probably never notice the difference. Personally, I think I'd prefer 8166 as it is a little higher up.

I see someone already directed you to my photo site where I have several photos of the M Class FV cabins as well as a nice photo of the aft of the ship with the cabins all numbered. Let me know if you can't find these.

I also wouldn't concern myself with the differences in amenities between the FV cabins and the CC cabins. The CC amenities are so minor we've never given them a second thought these rare times when we've had the option of switching from an aft CC cabin to an FV cabin.

You mentioned in your post above about planning on buying the premium beverage package so you'll have some "suite like amenities". I just wanted to point out that the unlimited beverage packages do not include any room service or mini-bar beverages so they'll give you no benefit in your stateroom. The only way you can have beverages in your stateroom which are covered by the packages is to go to the bar and bring them back yourself - obtaining them one, per package purchased and card presented, at a time from one of the ship's bars.

• 4 weeks later...

We are on the Infinity this May & for the 2nd year in a row have snagged one of the corner FV rooms. There are only the 2 of us. We were able to do this through an Internet agency. Seems there are not enough families able to travel in May.

These are the best rooms. An earlier blog on this thread posted great pictures. Someone commented that there were not two seperate rooms in the cabin. That is not so. It is just in the picture, the sliding door between the 2 rooms was not closed.

They have the incredible balcony & the very strange, long private hallway. Luckily you have a doorbell since you have 2 front doors !

These rooms have more square footage than a junior suite & I am sure the balcony is double the size.

I think the only reason they cannot put these rooms in the suite catagory is that they have a regular bathroom.......thus the guarantee problem.....they are in the balcony catagory. If you take an FV guarantee.....you can get 'upgraded' to a high catagory balcony room. That is something I would not take. We make sure we get an actual room assignment when we book.

• 2 months later...
If you take an FV guarantee.....you can get 'upgraded' to a high catagory balcony room. That is something I would not take. We make sure we get an actual room assignment when we book.

Hi, I'm a little confused here... I am looking to book an FV guarantee for 4 people... are you saying that I could be placed in another (i.e. smaller) balcony cabin? The FV guarantee is more expensive than the highest grade balcony available and shows the only available cabin categories above it to be the Royal or P/H Suite. All of the balcony cabins are listed below the FV, so how could we be "upgraded" to one of those?? Are you just saying that if there were 2 people in an FV then you could be upgraded to CC or Aqua?? :confused:

Any guarantee is for that category or above. 'Above' is generally defined by the standard pricing, which means yes, two people in an FV could get 'upgraded' to a CC or AQ.

As respects those booking FV directly for two people, truthfully I am not sure putting a 'no upgrade' would hold your cabin for sure if they wanted to move you. Has anyone been upgraded after a no upgrade comment? Just wondering. My understanding is that they have the right to change your cabin if they need to as long as it is the same category or higher. I doubt they often do this, but I am not sure requesting no upgrade would guarantee it. What have people experienced with this situation?

Archived