Norovirus in full swing

jc4me

People who stayed on for the back-to-back reported that the restrictions were lifted during the next week-

-when the salt and pepper shakers returned to the tables and the staff did not serve everything in the buffet.

Ah yes...first thing the cruise lines do.....provide food server people at the Lido buffet.. :)

And why is that?

Because when the general public handle the Lido serving tongs

that's how it spreads! ;)

See that big guy four people in front of you, in the line?

Maybe he didn't wash his hands 'after' --that's all it takes!

You just handled the same serving tongs he did, not to mention the folks between you and him.

Consequently, my wife and I try real hard to avoid the Lido buffet.

We eat in the Dining Rooms every single Breakfast and Dinner

and would eat there for Lunch too, if we could!

You'd be well advised to do the same -if you can handle a Dining room (not everyone can)

There currently is a noro outbreak on the Princess Ruby. Some folks have been quarantined and they are reporting back on the Princess board. New cases are still popping up onboard. I am following it because we are on her at the end of March. It doesn't sound good for that trip happening right now.

if they mean locally, that's the same stuff we suffered as as kids, and called it stomach flu. hits schools, hospitals, or any place people congregate.

only difference on a cruise ship is it has to be reported at a certain % of affected individuals. and it can only get onto a cruise ship if an infected person takes it on board.

if it were reported in schools and hospitals, it would take up half the daily newspaper all winter long.

Ok. You asked what ship. I was just clarifying that the OP wasn't talking about a ship.

:eek:

It has hit this area hard too, there have been entire schools shut down because of it, I know it would suck to cancel a cruise because you are sick but I hope anyone that becomes ill stays home, that would be an awful way to spend a vacation!!!

I don't know if it's norovirus but an intestinal bug has been going around my daughter's sorority house (she lives there and had it a couple of weeks ago). I was considering going to visit her this weekend but we sail on Feb. 11th. I don't think I'll chance it. She was home just last weekend anyway so it's not like I haven't seen her in a while.

Nope, that's why I used the word "locally". Was interested to see if health questionnaires are still required since the virus is hitting hard in some areas of the country...including my own.

then you should be doing everything in your power to make sure your group does not introduce it to the ship.

Yesterday I heard an English doctor "The Naked Scientist" (BBC) say that if you start squirting from both ends (sorry) stay home, don't eat, drink plenty of fluids, illness will subside within 24hrs--do not go to the doctor's because all that does is spread it, stay home until you feel better. I'm sure this advice would not hold true for infants and the elderly, but for most people it's probably good advice. He said it's really easily spread even if you wash hands fastidiously.

So strangely when my young daughter puked at camp on Princess and a few hours later a ship's nurse called us and asked us to come see the doctor (by then all 3 of us had symptoms), maybe all that did is spread the virus faster. Maybe she should have said don't eat, stay in your cabin, room service will drop off electrolyte packets, broth, paracetamol, bottles of water, and whatever you do, do not leave your cabin. I know not everyone would comply, but it's better advice than come see the doctor now it seems.

Gastro-instestinal viruses are really hard to manage anywhere, apparently the Paris area and the island of Guernsey are heavily affected this week (early Feb 2012).

Yesterday I heard an English doctor "The Naked Scientist" (BBC) say that if you start squirting from both ends (sorry) stay home, don't eat, drink plenty of fluids, illness will subside within 24hrs--do not go to the doctor's because all that does is spread it, stay home until you feel better. I'm sure this advice would not hold true for infants and the elderly, but for most people it's probably good advice. He said it's really easily spread even if you wash hands fastidiously.

So strangely when my young daughter puked at camp on Princess and a few hours later a ship's nurse called us and asked us to come see the doctor (by then all 3 of us had symptoms), maybe all that did is spread the virus faster. Maybe she should have said don't eat, stay in your cabin, room service will drop off electrolyte packets, broth, paracetamol, bottles of water, and whatever you do, do not leave your cabin. I know not everyone would comply, but it's better advice than come see the doctor now it seems.

Gastro-instestinal viruses are really hard to manage anywhere, apparently the Paris area and the island of Guernsey are heavily affected this week (early Feb 2012).

I agree, it does seem strange that they would ask you to walk through the ship knowing you were sick. Our daughter-in-law, who is 6 months pregnant had to go to the hospital yesterday for IV fluids but aside from that all of our sick family members have stayed in. They also know to wipe everything down with a bleach mixture to kill the virus, once they are better.

I'm starting to think I'll take a container of Clorox wipes with me on vacation!

From FoxNews "

National Interest - US

2 Florida bound cruise ship liners hit by fast spreading virus

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/02/04/2-florida-bound-cruise-ship-liners-hit-by-fast-spreading-virus/?test=latestnews#ixzz1lQtkF3J1

Glad I'm not sailing either of these ships next week.

Guest LoveMyBoxer
According to the CDC since 2008 Holland A. is leading the way with infected ships:

2008-2012

Holland 19 times

Prince 9

Celb 7

Norw 6

RC 3

Carnival 2 times

2011:

Prince 4

Holland 3

Celeb 3

Norw 1

RC 1

Carn 0

http://www.cdc.gov/nceh/vsp/surv/GIlist.htm

Anyone else notice that these are ships with mostly an "older" crowd??? Hmm!

Disney is also not listed and yet there have definitely been outbreaks on their ships. I've read of people that got Noro on their ships and my son and husband got it on the Disney Dream the week after Thanksgiving. Maybe it's not being reported for some reason?

Disney is also not listed and yet there have definitely been outbreaks on their ships. I've read of people that got Noro on their ships and my son and husband got it on the Disney Dream the week after Thanksgiving. Maybe it's not being reported for some reason?

Reporting is based upon the percentage of people on the ship that get sick. I guess that they don't report it if they don't reach that percentage.

Anyone else notice that these are ships with mostly an "older" crowd??? Hmm!
You and I might get flamed for this but yes, it does seem to be an Older Crowd thing.

Do some over-70s slacken up on personal hygiene? Who knows.

We will when we get there in a few yrs. time, lol.

Some years ago I was following an English cruise forum

when the same Noro-problem came up...in Winter

At that time it was the Fred.Olsen cruise line that had Noro-virus rampant

and this very same factor sprang to the fore --that it was older folk cruise lines who obviously get Noro more, and worse.

More reason for me to stay with Carnival, where the age demographic is decidedly younger.

Perhaps when you're older your immune system isn't as good as it was before? (e.g. why youngsters and the elderly are usually hit hardest with flus/epidemics, etc)? May be just a function of old age and not being able to 'fight' off some of those germs?

I'm also in NC (central/western) and we had a huge outbreak here at a local restaurant. Some good friends of mine got VERY sick. Spoke to another friend at public health who did the education sessions with the restaurant staff, and evidently they couldn't understand WHY they should not come to work when they were deathly ill. This virus was running rampant among their staff (my friends who got sick said all the waitresses were complaining about how sick they were!) and they were still cooking and serving food. :eek: What is wrong with people - I know you have families to support, but you can't be putting your hands on plates and spatulas and dishes when you have this illness - come on! And, by the way, my PH friend told me the virus "sheds" for FIVE DAYS after you are feeling better and think you are completely recovered.

Archived