Seabourn Legend: Singapore to Bali

smoothcruiser

After a disappointing cruise aboard the Seabourn Spirit in May 2011, my wife and I decided to put our toes in the water once again.

We flew to Singapore from London aboard a Qantas A380 aircraft with excellent service, staff and time-keeping.

We were unsure what to expect this voyage - there have been so many mixed reviews, and so we both had open minds.

I have received some comments in the past about being picky, it depends how you think, and in truth, I think I am a bit old fashioned and particular.

We needn't have worried. The resulting cruise experience was definitely the best from all our Seabourn voyages.

The Master was Captain Pedder, Cruise Director - Rachel Vago and the Hotel Manager - Guillaume Coles, and the Maitre D - Michael Simon.

The service from our room stewardess who had only been on the vessel four weeks was top class. She was efficient in every way, keeping the fridge full, room in tip top condition, all the things you expect, without chasing.

Captain Pedder, always out and about and chatting to the guests. Coincidentally we had boarded the ship a day after the Costa Concordia incident, and on our second day at sea, the Seabourn Legend came to a complete halt at around 6.45 in the morning. No power and no lights - just a complete airyness. Within a couple of minutes the Captain was on the tannoy explaining that we had a generator failure and informing us how much water was underneath us and where the nearest land was and detailing that we were in no danger. He continued with these reports until we got under way again around 90 minutes later.

The hotel Manager was really on the ball. He was everywhere. He would appear at Dinner most nights, observing and guiding. He attended virtually every function I can remember, and his attention to detail was spot on.

In the past I have complained bitterly about the Dinner service. This time, I have nothing to remark or complain about. Our sparkling water was always served ice cold where ever we dined. (One of our peculiarities) The service in the restaurant was always correct and unhurried, but not slow. Michael the Maitre d was excellent, and again he was everywhere. The food was always served hot and on hot plates. Virtually perfection.

It was hot on deck, very hot, and you just had to get a place in the shade, but we never had a problem. Why on earth dont they provide some decent matresses for those uncomfortable sunbeds!!

Low key enetertainment as usual but we did have a fantastic opera singer on board from Manchester - Phillippa Healey - she performed twice to completely full audiences with standing ovations.

Not overkeen on the Cruise Director, Rachel. JUst seemed to talk to people in a very condescending manner.

Bar staff - top class, never an empty glass. Wines - no complaints from us. I personally enjoyed a Wingspan Sauvignon Blanc. However I do wish they would change the Champagne.

Interesting itinerary, with a couple of ports new to the Seabourn Legend where we received fantastic arrival ceremonies.

This time I did put down a deposit for another Seabourn voyage. It will definitely be aboard one of the smaller vessels, where it appears to us the service has gone back to what we expect and has always been in the past.

DIsembarked in Bali, with the Captain shaking hands with all guests - I do think this is a class touch.

My faith has been completely restored in Seabourn.

Good report. For whatever reason (management, refurbishment, staff, etc.), the Legend still appears to be the most consistent of the triplets.

I agree!

We found the Legend in excellent condition, Staff and Management were excellent as well...save and except running rug rats, pot smoking heatens and half naked Grandpa! LOL:D

Seabourntraveler,

I am convinced that Seabourn actually booked the rug rats, pot smokers and naked grandpa as entertainment. Just think how much less interesting your cruise would have been without them!

Now there is a thought...suppose the next catalogue will show this kind of amusement??? :eek:

I agree!

We found the Legend in excellent condition, Staff and Management were excellent as well...save and except running rug rats, pot smoking heatens and half naked Grandpa! LOL:D

Also found the Legend in excellent condition and the staff outstanding recently, as we have come to expect. No rug rats or half naked grandpas, thankfully. But, as far as heatens, wouldn't know if I saw one...What's a heaten???

Archived