"Silly" Doumentation Question - JUST Pasport?

AmativeDame

I am not quite a first time cruiser anymore, so I know some things but I am hoping you lovely people can offer me some security in knowing I am reading things the right way.

I am hoping to cruise with my partner this summer in a closed loop cruise. (We're booking last minute because we can only vacation during union strike so I can't add any specific locations into this but I know that makes a difference - but that's not what I worried about at the moment.)

Said partner does not have a drivers license and no longer holds a state id. He does have a passport. (This is what he has been using as a form of id and it is current.)

I've looked on various cruise line and official websites and they all seem to say that technically all he needs is his passport to board. Can anyone tell me if this is true from experience? I used my drivers license and BC last time I cruised because I did not have a passport so I am weary about just accepting that it is enough. I do realize that if he looses his passport and we have no other identification we'd be in major trouble here (something tells me getting a replacement passport without even a state id would be impossibly hard) but if you all could help me out with the technical basic here it would be awesome.

A passport is all that is required.

A DL or other government picture ID is handy for when you do not want to be carrying your passport with you, such in ports.

Of course you need a credit card to set up your ship board account.

Passport is all he needs. We went on a closed loop cruise last summer. I showed my passport. They did not ask for my DL or BC.

Awesome guys, thank you so much! We had a hiccup at the counter last time (Mom had passport but not marriage certificate) and I didn't want to risk something like that again if we go the cruise route.

Thanks so much!

A passport is sufficient to cruise. However, in most ports, you need to show photo ID to get back intp the secure area around the ship to approach the ship for boarding - this is where a DL comes in handy because it's easy to carry off the ship. Your partner will have to bring his passport ashore. Can he get a govt issued non-driver's license? Our local DMV issues this to non-drivers for about $20

A passport is sufficient to cruise. However, in most ports, you need to show photo ID to get back intp the secure area around the ship to approach the ship for boarding - this is where a DL comes in handy because it's easy to carry off the ship. Your partner will have to bring his passport ashore. Can he get a govt issued non-driver's license? Our local DMV issues this to non-drivers for about $20

He can DonnaK, but he's put off doing so for ages (KY also requires A LOT of identification to do so.) Needing the photo id to get back to the ship was what I remembered and was why I was really questioning if he could do it with just a passport. I couldn't remember if they needed to see more then that.

Sadly its complicated, but if we do cruise I hope that he would have one by the time we go.

Passport trumps drivers license, always.

Suggestion: Many states offer a state ID in lieu of drivers license. Not everyone drives and not everyone can have a license but we are all entitled to ID. Our state offers official ID which resembles a drivers license and serves the same purpose for ID. Perhaps your state also offers that.

That would be more handy for your partner to carry on an everyday basis than a passport. If I write a check, the store often asks for a license. The alternate ID would work fine. When buying liquor, some places have no common sense and despite a person appearing to be 50, they still ask for ID.

It is often stated or suggested in the daily ship newspapers to take some form of id, such as a driver's license, off the ship while in port, especially in the Caribbean or Mexico.

So, we always have ours along, but I cannot remember that we ever actually had to show it--maybe once, in Mexico. Of course, you need your cruise card and I'm sure a passport would work instead of the DL, but we normally don't take our passports ashore.

It's very doubtful that authorities in a port would not let you back on board without a DL, but why take the chance? Just make sure he gets the darn ID!

Yes, the passport can serve as photo ID for local port authority to allow you to approach the ship for boarding.

Some ports that require it: St. Thomas, Grand Cayman, Nassau, Cozumel, St. Maarten, Ocho Rios.

It is often stated or suggested in the daily ship newspapers to take some form of id, such as a driver's license, off the ship while in port, especially in the Caribbean or Mexico.

So, we always have ours along, but I cannot remember that we ever actually had to show it--maybe once, in Mexico. Of course, you need your cruise card and I'm sure a passport would work instead of the DL, but we normally don't take our passports ashore.

It's very doubtful that authorities in a port would not let you back on board without a DL, but why take the chance? Just make sure he gets the darn ID!

In over 80 cruises, we have never, not ever, reboarded a ship in port and NOT shown a photo ID. You need a government issued photo ID and your ship's ID to enter port area and to reboard ship.

A passport works fine in every port...... that and ship's ID and passenger can board.

In over 80 cruises, we have never, not ever, reboarded a ship in port and NOT shown a photo ID. You need a government issued photo ID and your ship's ID to enter port area and to reboard ship.

A passport works fine in every port...... that and ship's ID and passenger can board.

Really? We haven't had 80 cruises--lucky you!--only around 25, but really, we seldom if ever are asked for a photo ID--maybe a couple of times. We usually just have to show our ship card.

Or, if he doesn't want to get his state's ID, he can get a passport card & use that as his picture ID. I don't drive so I had my state's ID. My previous passport (book) was due to expire so when I was getting it renewed I also got a passport card. That's what I carry around in my daily existence as a photo ID. Keeping In mind however, that the card cannot be used to fly back to the states if necessary.

Or, if he doesn't want to get his state's ID, he can get a passport card & use that as his picture ID. I don't drive so I had my state's ID. My previous passport (book) was due to expire so when I was getting it renewed I also got a passport card. That's what I carry around in my daily existence as a photo ID. Keeping In mind however, that the card cannot be used to fly back to the states if necessary.

I never really thought about the passport card! I might have to see how easy that would be to get. Id card is just complicated right now because he doesn't have any of the identification necessary to get one (lost or stolen.)

We have had to show our ID almost every time getting back on the ship. There is usually an attendant right off the gangway. Show your ID and seapass card then get on and have your seapass scanned.

Really? We haven't had 80 cruises--lucky you!--only around 25, but really, we seldom if ever are asked for a photo ID--maybe a couple of times. We usually just have to show our ship card.

The ship only requires the ship card to reboard.

At some ports - the ones I remember best are San Juan and St Thomas, but there were probably others - the port security requires you to show not only the ship card (to prove you "belong to" one of the ships) but also the government-issued photo ID (to prove you are the person on the ship card) before they'll let you back into the dock area.

I remember vividly one stop at Havensight in St Thomas, where there were people who were outside the port fence, calling out to their friends on the inside of the fence, handing them their ship cards so the friends could go to the people's cabins and retrieve their ID and pass both cards back through the fence so the people could get back in.

Archived