Rome "Closed" Today as State of Alarm Declared

euro cruiser

Due to unusual snow in Rome, the city is under a "state of alarm" and all city offices are closed, except for emergency services. The Colosseum, Forum, Palatine Hill, etc. are all closed.

Article (in Italian, but with pictures) here: http://www.ansa.it/web/notizie/rubriche/speciali/2012/01/29/visualizza_new.html_71964911.html

While looking at some of the Italian newspapers about this weather situation we noticed that the unions are calling for a major transporatation strike on March 1! Its nice to kinow that Italy never changes :)

Hank

The snow is causing a state of emergency thoughout much of Italy. Check out this photo of the famous leaning tower in the snow:

http://www.google.com/imgres?hl=en&biw=1024&bih=626&gbv=2&tbm=isch&tbnid=r8mwcOCpdIqKmM:&imgrefurl=http://focus-fen.net/%3Fid%3Dn269911&docid=Vrfu9-CsTv0XEM&imgurl=http://images.focus-news.net/b259936ef06d52d9592dd63c8ee7e35b.jpg&w=512&h=341&ei=TQksT--zJsyftwfggI3lDw&zoom=1&iact=rc&dur=390&sig=101306022126080553586&page=5&tbnh=111&tbnw=167&start=78&ndsp=20&ved=1t:429,r:15,s:78&tx=119&ty=58

I guess that is why I received an email this morning with "airfare specials" to Rome for winter travel. ;)

Any good deals? Share!!!!

Any good deals? Share!!!!

I get emails from airfarewatchdog:

http://www.airfarewatchdog.com/cheap-flights/to-rome-italy/1201/?airport_code=fco

We can't travel in the winter due to my husband's business, so we are not able to take advantage of the specials offered.

Not that I would want to be in Rome in the snow. Perhaps we can visit Italy in the the Spring someday when we are retired.

We spent the month of January in Italy in 2010--wow! Was it cold!! One thing to live there and go from your warm house to your car to your warm office--another thing entirely to be exploring on foot all day! We had a wonderful time but enjoyed it so much more even in November. We spent February that year in France--also freezing. So yes, rethink that 'winter in Europe' idea!

We are taking our kids to Italy (Venice,Florence,Rome) for their first visit March 3. It's their college spring break time. I've been watching the weather all winter! I was hoping for temps in the mid 50's but now to see the freezing temps and snow arriving and it is making me really nervous!!I am a true believer that any vacation is wonderful and go happily with the flow. If we have to bundle up and go we will do it and be thrilled to be there but....please keep fingers crossed that this weather pattern breaks and my dream of touring in sweaters (and any jackets that aren't big heavy snow coats)will come true!! Thanks-Kade

Kade, we're going to be in Italy the same week for spring break, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed right along with you. I've been to Italy almost every winter for the past decade and it's generally pretty temperate, so let's hope that this is a freak weather pattern that will be well gone by the time we get there.

Euro cruiser-I looked and can see as far as Feb.20 and the temperature in Venice and Rome are predicted to be around 58 F. My fingers are crossed that we can all experience the temperate weather that you have had in the past. We are doing a very action packed week starting in Venice then hitting Florence and Rome. We will be with Dd-21 and Ds-24. I am so excited for them to see the wonderful Italian sites ( and food) that my husband and I have fallen in love with over the years! Are you traveling with college aged kids? Where will you be visiting?-Kade

Our trip will be much slower and easier! Just me and the 22-year-old, his last spring break before graduation and being commissioned as a Naval officer. We'll be in Naples all week, with one night in Rome before heading home.

It's hard to believe that it's been 20 years since he and I took our first trip, just the two of us, for his second birthday. How did so much time go by so fast?

I really know what you mean!! We just had both kids home this weekend for a family wedding.I loved it! My daughter will turn 21 in less than 3 weeks. When I picture her in my mind ,she is around 12 years old ,then this beautiful young women walks in our door! Dh and I were married at the age our son is now and I can't believe he's this old!!

Congratulations on all the wonderful events upcoming in your son's life! You must be so proud of him!!!! Enjoy tour trip and special time away with him.

I will keep my fingers crossed for beautiful weather for both of us!!-Kade

Euro cruiser, you are making me feel wistful and my son isn't even grown yet. He's been my travel buddy since he was four years old. He'll be turning 15 while we fly over the Atlantic Ocean on our way to France and Italy this summer. I wish you a wonderful, memorable trip with your son. I know that in a few short years, that will be us. I treasure every experience knowing that he will be grown and gone (as he should) soon enough.

congratulations on his commission, please wish him G-dspeed from us.

Have fun in Italy!!!!

Archived