No More Dubai?

Ok, I'll bite. ??? :confused:

I can't remember where, but recently I read that Dubai won't be having any women in their port at the controls of a ship. After all, women aren't even permitted to drive cars in Dubai, or so I read. Rather than move Capt. Karin and buckle to Dubai law, it appears they are changing the itinerary.

This is just my guess. I know nothing about RCI's own explanation for this sudden change.

Gina

I can't remember where, but recently I read that Dubai won't be having any women in their port at the controls of a ship. After all, women aren't even permitted to drive cars in Dubai, or so I read. Rather than move Capt. Karin and buckle to Dubai law, it appears they are changing the itinerary.

This is just my guess. I know nothing about RCI's own explanation for this sudden change.

Gina

I have read that women can drive in Dubai so am a little confused.

I have read that women can drive in Dubai so am a little confused.

All I know is I read this somewhere in the past week about Captain Karin and also the part about driving. I wish I could remember where. I am admitting to only repeating what I read. I have no knowledge of Dubai law. It would be interesting to know the real reason behind these changes.

It was probably on CC (for what that's worth :rolleyes: ) where I read this about Capt. Karin. And it would have been a quick read as I was on a ship for the last 8 days. I wouldn't have been surfing the net either so it's likely on some thread somewhere - I used tapatalk so it would have been a brief blip for me. I might have even read it in the car by 3G between ships.

Gina

I see that the Serenade of the Seas has it's Dubai cruises next winter replaced with more cruises in Europe... there has been no official announcement, but is Dubai done now?

I don't know what you see, but I see Serenade in Dubai in 2013: http://www.royalcaribbean.com/findacruise/search/vacationSearchResult.do?pagename=homepage_redesign_hasbooking_us&actionType=&cruiseType=CO&includeAdjascentPorts=Y&eventSource=port&dest=&date=&port=DXB&ship=

They have been known to just make these changes month by month - depending on whatever. Check just December's itinerary. It had included Dubai but now those cruises are listed as N/A with the new itinerary prices showing.

The whole thing seems a bit odd especially if it does include accommodating a Captain. Not that I think Capt. Karin should have to be moved either. It could be a touching situation....could be. Who knows what it really is?

Gina

Will be interesting to hear if anyone gets the scoop first-hand. Not sure the rumors are quite right about - Dubai is quite tolerant of Western ways. On the otherhand, nothing surprises me coming out of that end of the world! I think apples and oranges are getting mixed up with speculation. (IMHO)

My guess is that it would have more to do with the political situation than the captain.

As far as ladies driving in Dubai, indeed they can. There is a taxi company that employs only female drivers and caters to ladies and families.

I corrected myself by posting the link where I read it. It wasn't Dubai specifically - just some places in the middle east. So I wonder if it had anything to do with some of the OTHER port stops and woman - NOT Dubai.

As with many things RCI does, we may never know the reason behind the change.

Gina

They have been known to just make these changes month by month - depending on whatever. Check just December's itinerary. It had included Dubai but now those cruises are listed as N/A with the new itinerary prices showing.

You're right - Jan. 14, 2013 is the new date of the Barcelona to Dubai repo cruise:http://www.royalcaribbean.com/findacruise/search/vacationSearchResult.do?actionType=&promoType=&location=&portOfCall=&eventSource=date&pageType=SR&dest=DUBAI&date=201201&state=NA&port=&duration=&price=&includeAdjascentPorts=Y&cruiseType=CO&userPreferences=N&sortBy=1&exp=true#%2Ffindacruise%2Fsearch%2FvacationSearchResult.do%3FactionType%3D%26promoType%3D%26location%3D%26portOfCall%3D%26eventSource%3Dship%26pageType%3DSR%26dest%3D%26date%3D201211%26date%3D201300%26state%3DNA%26port%3D%26duration%3D%26price%3D%26includeAdjascentPorts%3DY%26cruiseType%3DCO%26ship%3DSR%26userPreferences%3DN%26sortBy%3D1%26exp%3Dtrue I am booked on the April 2013 Dubai to Barcelona cruise, but I have my doubts about keeping it.

You're right - Jan. 14, 2013 is the new date of the Barcelona to Dubai repo cruise:http://www.royalcaribbean.com/findacruise/search/vacationSearchResult.do?actionType=&promoType=&location=&portOfCall=&eventSource=date&pageType=SR&dest=DUBAI&date=201201&state=NA&port=&duration=&price=&includeAdjascentPorts=Y&cruiseType=CO&userPreferences=N&sortBy=1&exp=true#%2Ffindacruise%2Fsearch%2FvacationSearchResult.do%3FactionType%3D%26promoType%3D%26location%3D%26portOfCall%3D%26eventSource%3Dship%26pageType%3DSR%26dest%3D%26date%3D201211%26date%3D201300%26state%3DNA%26port%3D%26duration%3D%26price%3D%26includeAdjascentPorts%3DY%26cruiseType%3DCO%26ship%3DSR%26userPreferences%3DN%26sortBy%3D1%26exp%3Dtrue I am booked on the April 2013 Dubai to Barcelona cruise, but I have my doubts about keeping it.

And I'm thinking of booking this cruise for this coming April on the Brilliance.

We have just had our 24th December Dubai cruise cancelled and the explanation was that the revitalisation was going to take longer than expected and the cruises would re-commence in January 2013- very disappointed but nothing we can do about it.:(

Then why are there different itineraries scheduled for the same time? I don't buy that it will take longer. If anything it will take less time as I've heard it's not likely they will be doing overkill like they did to Radiance. RCI is very aware they added too many restaurants to a ship of this size. And they know the damage done to Windjammer seating and the poor layout of some additions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gina

Of course women can drive in Dubai....:rolleyes:

Personally I am very surprised they don't have a ship there for a far longer season. Ideal climate.

Of course women can drive in Dubai....:rolleyes:

Personally I am very surprised they don't have a ship there for a far longer season. Ideal climate.

It seems no one reads the entire thread before responding. :rolleyes:

I later posted a link to the thread where the dubai cruises were mentioned and Capt. Karin was brought up as being a possible issue. It was the

middle east where some women can't drive. NOT Dubai.

I wish people would read on before replying to ONE post. :rolleyes:

Gina

The Dubai sailings are back on the schedule for the Serenade. It looks like the Serenade will be sailing from Barcelona to Dubai on January 14, 2013, instead of the previouly planned sailing from Malaga on December 2, 2012. She will then do the series of 7 day sailings out of Dubai until April 15, 2013, when she goes back to Barcelona.

The Dubai sailings are back on the schedule for the Serenade. It looks like the Serenade will be sailing from Barcelona to Dubai on January 14, 2013, instead of the previouly planned sailing from Malaga on December 2, 2012. She will then do the series of 7 day sailings out of Dubai until April 15, 2013, when she goes back to Barcelona.

Opppss, I wanted to add that there aren't any India sailings like this year on the Brilliance, but, lots of Dubai.

It is just a shame it doesn't stay there longer four months is not long. I wonder why they are not doing India?

Archived