Solo to Europe 2013...advice please

Uri1961

Hello all!!. my hubby chickened out on cruising b/c of the recent ship incident. I've to cancel cruises before because he is afraid of getting seasick and now he says he will never get on a cruise ship!!.

I am tired of cancelling vacations because of his fears so I have decided to go on my own. Since I am Platinum on RCCL. I am waiting for the 2013 rates to come out and will book the 12 day Med Venice out of Barcelona. I took that cruise back in 2007 and loved it.

What cabin should I choose so I can feel "safe", aft, inside, midship?

I just don't want to miss any more fun on cruises, its the only way to vacation.

Just book the cabin you want/can afford and go for it. The itinerary is so very busy that the cabin you're in really isn't that big a deal. As long as you're happy, that's all that matters.

BTW, good for you!!!!!!!

thank you!!!

I used to travel with my kids, but now they are grown and have a life of their own. I know 2013 is still a way to go, but I booked my cruise back in 2007 over a year in advanced and saved a ton!!!

I am a planner and want to make sure I have everything paid in full and don't like to come back from a vacation I still haven't paid form.

I know the rates will probably come out sometime in march.

Hi,:) I agree with Darcie and book the cabin that is most

affordable for you. I am going on my first cruise to the Med in

May and I always sail solo.

I would suggest seeing if there is a roll call started for your cruise

and if there is not? Start one up as it is really a good way to meet

other people!

My sailing has a great roll call. People are friendly, courteous and

we are doing lots of private tours together:)...that makes things

even better because it keeps the prices lower:)

This will be my 30something solo cruise.....it is the only way

I sail. Sorry your husband decided against going with you.....

he will miss out on some fabulous places.

Oh, mid ship is usually a good spot to book though. I was very

lucky and prices dropped so much I was able to upgrade my window

to a balcony for only 100 bucks!:D

Hope you have a wonderful cruise:D

Check the Royal site daily to see when the prices are released. The first few days there are often great deals with low solo supplement.

I travel solo a lot and have met many ladies who travel solo because their husbands don't want to travel or can't get the time away etc.

You may find you can do private tours with people on the roll call for your sailing.

• 2 weeks later...

I am a 60+ widow and spent 5 weeks in Europe between a 19 day TA and a

14 day Baltic with a few days in London after. All solo. My concession to being a lady alone was doing ship tours instead of going off on my own. I just felt safer that way. I did wander around London on my own but at least I spoke the language.

14 day Baltic with a few days in London after. All solo. My concession to being a lady alone was doing ship tours instead of going off on my own. I just felt safer that way. I did wander around London on my own but at least I spoke the language.

You are my hero. I am a 56 yr old widow and I love Europe. The air fare is a killer, and I am concerned about the excursion costs on top of that.

Hi,:) I am going solo in May to the Med. My roll call is extremely

friendly and we have many private tours booked of which I am a

part of:D.....I would have probably gone on ship tours but this

makes it even better....less $ and folks who have been chatting

for many months now:)...oh I am in my mid 50s......

You are my hero. I am a 56 yr old widow and I love Europe. The air fare is a killer, and I am concerned about the excursion costs on top of that.

Hi:) having a friendly roll call helps with that....I having been

cruising solo for 8 years now (I am in my 50s too). I am going

on my first cruise to the Med in May:Dand am on a great roll

call. Many of us are doing private tours together which make

it even better......less $ and going with folks who have been

chatting together for many months:)

I cruised solo New York to Quebec City last October on MSC Poesia. I'm female -63-.........staff was good...............2 of 3 good tablemates.

Had booked excursions on my own----easy, as again it was all in English, except Quebec where I disembarked--- -- Met lots of people....

Am thinking on TA in Nov/12 from Europe to MIA......

Air fare ?? Charter to England and then cheaper airline to port of departure. Enjoy !!

I am a 71 yo recent widow and am scheduled for my third solo next fall - a TA from Barcelona to New Orleans. The first two were while DH was alive but unable to travel and living in a nursing home (he was 88 when he died last year).

I've done short solo land trips that were adjunct to other trips with people - a couple of days in Edinburgh and three days driving in the Scottish highlands and that sort of thing. I also left a tour group and wandered around Istanbul alone for a day in 2008.

Now, pre-cruise next fall, I'm flying to Barcelona and going by train to Provence where I'll sight see alone before returning for the cruise. I may rent a car once in Provence.

Like Lois, once on the ship I am glad to have been on an active roll call and to have private tours planned and also to have made plans to sit at a table for others on roll call at dinner.

Hello all!!. my hubby chickened out on cruising b/c of the recent ship incident. I've to cancel cruises before because he is afraid of getting seasick and now he says he will never get on a cruise ship!!.

I am tired of cancelling vacations because of his fears so I have decided to go on my own. Since I am Platinum on RCCL. I am waiting for the 2013 rates to come out and will book the 12 day Med Venice out of Barcelona. I took that cruise back in 2007 and loved it.

I just don't want to miss any more fun on cruises, its the only way to vacation.

Hi:

I was on a Caribbean cruise (solo) when the recent January 2012 ship disaster occurred. The reaction which most of us had while in the middle of the Ocean was a slight shrug of the shoulders...we were horrified, of course, by that occurence, but it had little effect on the remainder of our fun-filled cruise. As for seasickness, I've (and my husband on past trips) always taken seasick pills (twice daily) and they always work. We also have wine, martinis, etc. with no problems whatsover.

I've always preferred midship, but my Caribbean cruise was in the next-to-the last aft balcony cabin, and that was fine also, but I still prefer MIDSHIP.

My husband planned our very 1st cruise despite indicating all kinds of creative negatives prior to the experience. I appreciated his bravado because after that he became hooked. However, after approx. 10 cruises, he's "cruised out" and along with some health problems, will no longer cruise...so it's up to me, and in May, I'll be doing my 3rd solo cruise, which will be my 1st solo transatlantic one (we both have done 2 prior to this together).

I know you'll love your solo time. Through Cruise Critic and it's individual cruise thread sites, you'll make wonderful friends!

Joann

NCLs EPIC has 128 single inside cabins with a lounge just for the singles who book those cabins. It is going to the Mediteranian and back this year. They also usually have the best shows at sea. (with shirtless boy dancers) Circe style shows, Blue Man Group. Bowling alleys!

If I was going back to cruise on RCCI, I'd check and see when the ship was going to dock in Venice and when it was going to leave. I picked this cruise especially because it said overnight in Venice. Well, it was but we didn't get into Venice till 1pm by the time you get your tour of Venice it's 3pm and then we never went down the Grand Canal, because this boat was to big. But nothing was said about that. It was too dark to see anything by 5pm and being on my own I was not able to get off the boat and go walk around in the dark. So I went back to the ship. Next day the ship left Venice at 12:30pm. So you just had the morning to get around a few hours and be back on aboard. Also, Solstice charges you I believe $22. to take the little boat to Venice Pier, or $34. for the two days the ship is docked. I still enjoyed my cruise, but was disappointed. Thank God, I had a lovely cabin with Balcony. I prefer Balcony cabins. Midship is best for those who might get a bit sick. But I have no problems that way. However, we did have an outbreak of the Norovirus. But it was just a bit awkward when you had to cue up for salt and Pepper, Coffee, Tea and Sugar etc.

June 10, I'm taking a transatlantic cruise on the Queen Mary 2. First time I'm going to be at sea for 7 days. I'm going to treat it like a Spa Boat. Plus I don't have to worry about excursions this time or being disappointed. Just relax, use the gym, Sauna, walk around the deck a few times and just enjoy what ever the ship has to offer that is FREE! Tell your Husband, he's got nothing to fear on these ships. That accident happened because The Captain of that ship was a fool.

Lilyrose 123

Hello all!!. my hubby chickened out on cruising b/c of the recent ship incident. .... now he says he will never get on a cruise ship!! I just don't want to miss any more fun on cruises, its the only way to vacation.

So sorry to hear of your husband's decision, but happy to see you are taking your leisure time to spend the way you want-even if going it alone. But I can say, as have others here, that Cruise Critic Roll Call, if it is active, is a great way to meet people BEFORE sailing and arrange dinners, lunches, excursions, etc. When I've done this, it's made all the difference in how quickly I connected with like minded people, both singles and couples.

What I love about single cruising: I can do what I want, when I want with who I want, and still always be around happy, mostly contented people enjoying their favourite thing-cruising. There is always something to be learned from other passengers and I always come back with a notebook brimming with tips, ideas, ships try, places and countries to visit, and people I've befriended and vise versa; I have learned to accept exploring on my own, as when one is in port with other ships, you are never ALONE.

On my January 2012 cruises in the Caribbean, nearly every port had 10,000 people on tours, private and cruise related, and shoppers, walkers, beachcombers, and those taking taxis in small, impromptu groups to a desired destination. I never felt frightened, bored, or depressed that I was on my own. And I never left a port without sampling a local flavour of ice-cream or a local delicacy like conch, alligator, or special drink!

My preferences: Balcony if I can swing it....where on the ship is of no importance to me-each section has its own ups and downs! :-); bed and pillow quality is very important....and I love the speciality restaurants....

Alone or with a loved one or friend, the CRUISING LIFE is one I intend to pursue for many years to come....

• 3 months later...

Go and enjoy it! At the moment I am booked for Alaska in 2013, BUT if DCL gets off their behinds and releases the rest of 2013 for the Magic, and the WBTA is there - I will switch to that.

As it's not a real cruise yet, I have no idea where it would start, but Barcelona is a good guess. I'd fly over a couple of days early.

Some of the best advice is to join in the roll call for your cruise. Helps to sort of know a few people. In my case, if the WBTA does happen I know several people who will go a few days early, including another solo. (there is a roll call on another board for this "maybe" cruise that already has over 100+ people on it!)

There will be people on a roll call who have gone before and know where the better and safer areas are in Barcelona for hotels, and what areas to avoid, especially at night. The same thing would apply to areas that are safe for a solo person to walk around, etc.

There probably will be people who you'd get to know a bit so you could do excursions with if they arrange private ones. If not, I'm sure RCCL has tons of excursions and they'd be fine solo. I've done excursions solo before and ended up having a good time talking to my bus/ferry boat seat companions, etc.

As for cabins and feeling safe, I think the advice choosing what you can afford is the best advice. RCCL is a major, well-known cruiseline, so it would be just the usual advice any solo person should follow anywhere (not just on a cruise).

Have done a bunch of them.Cabins a minor concern; no lowest deck or bows. Save $ w. Insides.Leave the tropical FL wear at home. Europeans tend to cover up more and dress well (they will be on ship en mass.) Prefer Celebrity. Princess also acceptable, though food, service,lectures not as good.Have you considered using your RCL status to do Elite on X? It will surpass any benefits on RCLEven laundry. I am going also in 13. I believe X has 5 ships crossing. Enjoy.

Forgot to add unlimited cocktails nitely.Always a bunch of enjoyable folks. On TAs, usually held in upper Sky Bar with its vast views.But do bring a diverse selection of both warm/cold weather clothes.

Archived