Anything of interest to see near tender dock?

karen327

We will be doing a snorkel tour through Nativerways in early march that will drop us off at 7 mile beach afterwards. We plan to take the bus back to the tender dock. Is there anything of interest to see before going back to the ship in that area besides shopping? We decided not to do a bus land tour because I am not that interested in going to "hell" or seeing a turtle farm. I would like to see what some of the island looks like though.

Last visit there was a newer jewelry store selling gorgeous mens and womens rings, etc with black coral insets. Black coral is common there but this was exquisite jewelry that was very nice. One store (more like a dealer) and this may have been one artists line

We like stopping at Hammerheads, an open air pub & grill just a couple hundred feet from the Royal Watler pier where the tenders dock (Carnival). It's a friendly place with a great view of the tender pier, cruise ship/s, beach & water. The prices aren't bad for George Town ($3US for a Caybrew), and much less expensive than inside the pier terminal. It's a good place to relax before heading back to the ship.

If you want to be closer, there is a little open air bar inside the pier terminal, but it is quite expensive, loud, and you have to look through the high chain link fence to see the ship & water.

I like both of these suggestions. any others?

Another thumbs up on the museum, it is very interactive. A nice enjoyable fom about the islands history. There is also the remnant of a fort (not big) at the dock itself. I too am researching things to do without booking a major excursion, so thanks everyone for the feed back.

I was also looking to do something after I do the snorkel & beach thing and I found this on a message board. Have never been but looking forward to it in April

Boggy Sand Road - This scenic coastal road contains some of the most traditional historic Cayman houses and churches. this route is well worth exploring. Vibrant tropical plants surround many of the old gingerbread-style fisherman's cottages, which date from the first 2 decades of the 20th century. You can stop at Grandma Julia's Beach if you'd like to go for a swim. The beach is raked by hand every morning.

It may not be by the dock but obviously people go to see this beautiful scenic residential street for a reason if it was listed as "things to do in montego bay" :cool:

If it's listed as something to do in Montego Bay, it's going to be a long swim from the port area in the Cayman Islands... :D

Fodors has a that blurb as part of a suggested sightseeing tour in their guidebooks for Grand Cayman.

Fodors also states you must pay the departure tax at the airport when leaving Cayman:

"At the airport, each adult passenger leaving Grand Cayman must pay a departure tax of $25 (CI$20), payable in either Caymanian or U.S. currency. It may be included in cruise packages as a component of port charges; it isn't usually added to airfare—check with your carrier—and must be paid in cash by each traveler prior to entering the secure area of the airport."

http://www.fodors.com/world/caribbean/cayman-islands/travel-tip_2304597.html

Moral, don't believe everything you read on the interwebs as gospel.

Archived