For a newbie, is 17th street to be!

akruz

Accommodations for newbies, should we be looking at 17st. and why is this the location. Sorry, did not google up or anything and just want to know other locations for a pre cruise. We would have 4 nights and 3 days to enjoy FLL.

thanks

Depends on what you want to do while there. 17th St is fine for a pre-cruise as there are lots of restaurants right around the area. Not sure I would want to spend 4 days there unless I was getting a deal. I would have a car while there that long, and probably would rather save some money and stay near Oakwood Plaza, which has easy access to the highways so I can get out and see stuff. If I didn't have a car, I would suck it up and stay up along the beach near Las Olas Blvd so I was within walking distance of things to do.

Accommodations for newbies, should we be looking at 17st. and why is this the location. Sorry, did not google up or anything and just want to know other locations for a pre cruise. We would have 4 nights and 3 days to enjoy FLL.

thanks

I wouldn't want to spend four nights on a 17th Street hotel. It is a very busy industrial street.

I'd rather stay on the beach or on Las Olas.

17th St is a good area for one night... lots of restaurants and shopping, but I wouldn't want to stay there for 4 nights. I think I read on another thread that you would be getting a car, so look towards the beach (near Las Olas, Dania, or Hollywood). Barring that, Plantation or Oakwood area for price.

I wouldn't want to spend four nights on a 17th Street hotel. It is a very busy industrial street.

I'd rather stay on the beach or on Las Olas.

Ditto, beachfront or Las Olas downtown. Without a car this is the best location.

With a car I would stay at Lago Mar on the beach. Parking is free and it's a full-scale resort. If it is in the middle of winter (not beach weather), and you have a car, just stay near I-95 on Stirling Rd.

17th St is a good area for one night... lots of restaurants and shopping, but I wouldn't want to stay there for 4 nights. I think I read on another thread that you would be getting a car, so look towards the beach (near Las Olas, Dania, or Hollywood). Barring that, Plantation or Oakwood area for price.

We really do not want to rent a car unless absolutely necessary. It would be only if we had to.

Where can I find which hotels are on 17st and what hotels are on Las Olas plantation. I think this would narrow down the search.

I found my Hilton Honors card and find the Embassy under the Hilton Properties.

Thanks.

We really do not want to rent a car unless absolutely necessary. It would be only if we had to.

Where can I find which hotels are on 17st and what hotels are on Las Olas plantation. I think this would narrow down the search.

Thanks.

We love the location of the Courtyard Marriott, Fort Lauderdale Beach.

Right across the street from the beach.

Great views, either beach views or intercostal waterway.

Close to great restaurants.

Close to the Water Taxi.

We plan to walk to Las Olas Blvd on our upcoming visit from the Courtyard. Just under 2 miles. If we find it is a difficult walk we will grab a taxi.

I can't offer any advice about Hiltons, but you may want to check their location in comparison to the Courtyard.

Karen

Thanks.

Sorry, though you had said you would be getting a car - 17th St is good... and taxis in FLL are cheap, cheap, cheap (compared to Canada). Embassy Suites is also close to the water taxi ...

http://www.watertaxi.com/

a little walk, but reasonable.

Know the Embassy offers a free cocktail hour and breakfast, but looking at their prices for us next fall, the prices are somewhat high compared to other hotels on the 'strip'. You keep saying there are 4 of you.. if 2 are children, think you should be looking toward the beach (just to keep them amused). Good Luck

We love the location of the Courtyard Marriott, Fort Lauderdale Beach.

Right across the street from the beach.

Great views, either beach views or intercostal waterway.

Close to great restaurants.

Close to the Water Taxi.

We plan to walk to Las Olas Blvd on our upcoming visit from the Courtyard. Just under 2 miles. If we find it is a difficult walk we will grab a taxi.

I can't offer any advice about Hiltons, but you may want to check their location in comparison to the Courtyard.

Karen

I agree about the Courtyard. I stayed here last year and will be there again next weekend. Nice hotel across the street from the beach, lots of restaurants in walking distance, not far from the water taxi. The hotels on 17th St. are okay too, it really depends on what you want to do. The Embassay Suites is a popular choice and I am booked there for a cruise in September.

We typically arrive 2 days pre-cruise and really enjoy the freedom a car rental allows. I think the 17th St. area is fine for 1 night but I would not want to spend 4 days there, especially without a car.

We like FLL beach hotels - Sheraton Fort Lauderdale Beach, Courtyard Fort Lauderdale Beach and Westin Fort Lauderdale Beach. I would also consider the Doubletree Galleria (close to beach) and now that the Bahia Mar is being operated as a Doubletree (I think), I would also consider that as a beach hotel option.

Marriott Harbor Beach and Lago Mar look fabulous but have been out of our price range for past stays.

Thanks.

The only hotel on Las Olas Blvd is Riverside Hotel (not Hilton brand).

The Hilton brands on 17th St are Embassy Suites and Hilton Marina (2nd is a farther walk to things). There are also Hyatt Place north, Holiday Inn Express, Renaissance, and Extended Stay America. Personally I wouldn't stay in this area for more than 2 nights without a car.

Some hotels in Plantation near the mall are Hyatt Place and Hampton Inn (Hilton brand). I wouldn't stay here for more than 2 nights without a car either.

Some well priced and well-located beach hotels are Bahia Mar Doubletree (Hilton brand) and Alhambra.

thanks

We always look at the beach locations or Riverside hotel on Las Olas. You will be near the trolley and water taxis. I find little appealing at the 17th st hotels. Especailly for more than one night. Prices aren't that great and if you want to get to know Ft. L, being on a busy street where cars back up due to the bridge, isn't the area I'd want to call home for four days.

Thanks.

Here's the deal. For someone who is just spending one night pre-cruise, 17th Street provides a very good, easy base, with all the essential services close at hand. However, the hotels there usually come at a premium cost-wise. Rent a car, however, and all of a sudden you have many more, less-expensive options, which can really make a difference for longer stays.

Let's put this in concrete terms. Using the Orlando Magicard code (004M001010), you can rent a car for a little over $200. That lets you look further out for hotels. I have found one option for you - the Fort Lauderdale Marriott North (free parking). The website has it listed at $199, but by making a Look No Further claim as I described here and using AA.com as your comparison site, you can get the hotel for $89/night.

So, you're probably looking at a total for hotel & car of around $650 (allowing for cost of gas). That's $167.50/night, which is less than the price I'm seeing for either the Embassy Suites or Renaissance on 17th Street - and remember this includes your transportation to the port, so save on taxi fares as well.

As you have learned with shopping for airfares, when planning a vacation, you have to look at the total cost, and how one component can affect your decisions WRT all other components. Crunch the numbers, and then see what's right for you - but don't take any options off the table. Be flexible and open-minded, and you might find that what you think you want is different from what you actually need (and yes, I'm a fan of 'Leave it to Bryan on HGTV:D)

Thank you Twickenham. Will do the checking. Thanks. Which car rental company or is the code good for all car rental agencies. Pick up at airport and drop off at port? Thanks.

Duh, sorry! The Orlando Magicard code is for Thrifty, pick up at FLL and drop off at their Port Everglades location - just outside the entrance to the port, and they offer a free shuttle to your ship. Technically, I believe you have to have an Orlando Magicard, but it's downloadable for free from the Orlando tourism website (and in any case, I've never been asked for it - but of course, if you don't print one, you will be asked for it!:rolleyes:)

• 2 weeks later...

we stayed at the courtyard marriot overlooking the beach at FLL last yr for 2/3 days pre-cruise ..it was a nice property with nearby places to eat, walkable to las olas..& a nice beach boardwalk area.. it was too cold to enjoy the beach or hotel pool. It is further from the port & airport than 17th Street area but we had a cruise package that included transp to the ship...

next time cruising from FLL, we will return to 17th Street -- close to food, shops & water taxi--not sure which hotel yet!

The only hotel on Las Olas Blvd is Riverside Hotel (not Hilton brand).

The Hilton brands on 17th St are Embassy Suites and Hilton Marina (2nd is a farther walk to things). There are also Hyatt Place north, Holiday Inn Express, Renaissance, and Extended Stay America. Personally I wouldn't stay in this area for more than 2 nights without a car.

Some hotels in Plantation near the mall are Hyatt Place and Hampton Inn (Hilton brand). I wouldn't stay here for more than 2 nights without a car either.

Some well priced and well-located beach hotels are Bahia Mar Doubletree (Hilton brand) and Alhambra.

Better....Gallery One or Bahia Mar?

Better....Gallery One or Bahia Mar?

Gallery One is nicer but now that Doubletree is taking over Bahia Mar I'm sure they will make it nicer. If you plan on spending a lot of time on the beach, Bahia Mar is much more convenient. If you like shopping, Gallery One is better. It's a few blocks from the beach.

Gallery One is nicer but now that Doubletree is taking over Bahia Mar I'm sure they will make it nicer. If you plan on spending a lot of time on the beach, Bahia Mar is much more convenient. If you like shopping, Gallery One is better. It's a few blocks from the beach.

And what about restaurants walking distance of Gallery One...

And what about restaurants walking distance of Gallery One...

There are so many restaurants! There are several at the mall and a food court there, 2 across the street, 2 across the bridge and a few more beyond there, about a half dozen 6 blocks west of the hotel.

Archived