Children friendly St. Petersburg tours with Best Guides

Aorinka

I’m coming to St. Petersburg for the second time the coming summer, now with my husband and daughter (she will be 10 at the time of the trip), so I am considering the special children friendly program offered by Best Guides. They told me that it would be just a little bit more expensive if I decided to replace an ordinary city drive with the children friendly “Secrets of St. Petersburg” and an ordinary Hermitage tour with the children friendly “Palace of Wonders” tour. Any way the cost sounds reasonable and the manager promised that the tour would be adapted to the age of my daughter.

My question is if anybody has tried children tours with the Best Guides? Are the tours really interesting for children?

Thank you in advance for your answers.

I meant Russia. I have posted the same question on the ports of call boards, not sure where there would be more response when it is about children, not too many children oriented discussions there, gave it a try...

I’m coming to St. Petersburg for the second time the coming summer, now with my husband and daughter (she will be 10 at the time of the trip), so I am considering the special children friendly program offered by Best Guides. They told me that it would be just a little bit more expensive if I decided to replace an ordinary city drive with the children friendly “Secrets of St. Petersburg” and an ordinary Hermitage tour with the children friendly “Palace of Wonders” tour. Any way the cost sounds reasonable and the manager promised that the tour would be adapted to the age of my daughter.

My question is if anybody has tried children tours with the Best Guides? Are the tours really interesting for children?

Thank you in advance for your answers.

Hello Aorinka. We will be traveling with our 10 year old grandson in May 2013. We have used private guides in the past, who are very good, but not sure about children directed tour. I haven't asked yet, but your post caught my eye. Please let me know how it turns out. I am sorry I am not much help before you go. Last September, there were children at Peterhof and the Hermitage. There is a helicopter ride over St. Pete, at the Peter and Paul Fortress - I think it is on weekends. Have fun.

With a private tour, you can arrange your own itinerary. I honestly don't know how you can make a tour of that city child-centric, as it's not really a child friendly area to tour. Lots of historical places and lots of walking. I've been to St Petersburg three times and once I arranged a special private tour for myself. One place that you might want to include is the museum for space travel. They have the original Sputnik capsule that might have some interest for kids. But in all honesty, there's no real way to make that wonderful city child centric. It is what it is and that's a city that's totally historic.

Oh, are you there overnight? Does your daughter have any interest in the ballet? If she does, there is a tour that includes a performance of short ballet sequences at the theater in Catherine's Palace. It really is special.

• 2 weeks later...

I am taking my two boys (8 and 12) on a Baltic cruise in June, and we just booked a tour with Alla. They were very responsive to our questions, and seemed like a good fit with our group (family of 5). Once home, I will post how it was! We are looking forward to it- understanding it will be an intense tour. :)

• 1 year later...

Hi! We are about to book a private two day itinerary with the Best Guides. Our daughter is too little for any of the children tours, so we plant to book a general itinerary. The Best Guides offered us a baby sitter while we are in the Hermitage. The cost is only 25 $ per hour and obviously we wouldn’t need it for more than one hour. The question is – who ever used babysitters from the Best Guides or from any other Russian companies? How did it actually work? All information will be very welcome. Thanks in advance.

Jess :)

Archived