staying overnight in houston after our cruise should we rent car? for 1day?

melika091900

so after our cruise we are staying 1 night in houston near the hobby airport,

should we rent a car? im assuming we will be off the ship before 12n, and then to our hotel by 1p-2p,

thinking we will be stuck there all night with nothing to do?

doesnt look like any thing around our hotel , we are staying at baymont inn hobby..

thinking of renting a car for the day so we can at least drive around/ or go eat??

thoughts on this?

If you want to "see" anything of interest, you'll need a car. As you've realized, the Hobby area isn't very scenic, interesting, or even all that safe.

You are giving that area way to much credit. Hobby is a dump as is the area around it. So yes a car is your best bet. to the OP FYI...NASA is pretty close and interesting if you are into that type of thing and want to kill the afternoon.:D

Having a car would allow you to check out NASA, as a previous posted indicated, but also the variety of restaurants in the Clear Lake area and, especially,the Kemah Boardwalk area.

P.S. Although the Hobby Airport area isn't a garden spot by any means, it is very similar to the areas near urban airports in many cities. I've never felt that it was dangerous, just dull and not as upscale as near-by areas such as Clear Lake, Friendswood, Seabrook/Kemah, and League City.

Having a car would allow you to check out NASA, as a previous posted indicated, but also the variety of restaurants in the Clear Lake area and, especially,the Kemah Boardwalk area.

P.S. Although the Hobby Airport area isn't a garden spot by any means, it is very similar to the areas near urban airports in many cities. I've never felt that it was dangerous, just dull and not as upscale as near-by areas such as Clear Lake, Friendswood, Seabrook/Kemah, and League City.

yeah we are from the bay area, CA so i have seen it all,,:) but im thinking renting a car is a good idea, just to have it in case we go somewhere besides the hotel.. t

yeah we are from the bay area, CA so i have seen it all,,:) but im thinking renting a car is a good idea, just to have it in case we go somewhere besides the hotel.. t

The are around Hobby is like the area around OAK .......Ok during the day but not a place you want to be @ night

Just book a car thru Hotwire for the day

If you rent a car near Hobby Airport, you are only a few minutes from I-45 which runs from downtown Houston to the north and Galveston to the south. It also gives you access to the NASA/Clear Lake/Galveston Bay area via Bay Area Blvd. and/or NASA Parkway. Since you're obviously familiar with driving in an urban area, you'll have no problems in that area of Houston - or in the Houston area overall. Enjoy!

Let's be realistic here. The Hobby area is a total dump and crime hotspot. A girl I work with lives over there and was carjacked at gunpoint in her own driveway in broad daylight.

Archived