Don't buy Insurance through Travelocity

kreemmer

We were just denied a small claim from the insurance company through Travelocity underwriters NATIONAL UNION FIRE INSURANCE COMPANY OF PITTSBURGH, PA. Our cruise from Hawaii was delayed a day because of a medical evacuation. Our ship had to turn around and return to Hawaii which took an extra day and therefore eveyone on the ship missed their flights. I had purchased flight insurance through Travelocity. I expected them to pay the $150 pp fee to rebook our flights the next day. Those traveling with us had insurance through USAA and it was quickly paid. Travelocity's insurance company contacted me three times requesting various receipts and documentation and then refused the claim because it was not me nor my husband who were sick! Be very skeptical when buying insurance through them.

Did the policy you read prior to purchasing say they would cover this? Can't tell you how many times the 'small print' in a policy can change whether a claim is paid or not.. if you have any question re what is/is not covered call the company directly. I'm sorry this happened to you; I really though Travelocity had policy that covered this sort of interruption but I don't use Travelocity that much so have never investigated thoroughly. We usually buy Travelguard or use Princess Gold -proponents and detractors of both of these but it works for us...

Did the policy you read prior to purchasing say they would cover this? Can't tell you how many times the 'small print' in a policy can change whether a claim is paid or not.. if you have any question re what is/is not covered call the company directly. I'm sorry this happened to you; I really though Travelocity had policy that covered this sort of interruption but I don't use Travelocity that much so have never investigated thoroughly. We usually buy Travelguard or use Princess Gold -proponents and detractors of both of these but it works for us...

I read the policy but who can ever foresee something like this? We were on a cruise back from Hawaii. The ship had to turn around after a full day at sea to evacuate three passengers. It was definitely a situation out of our control that caused us to miss our flight home. I think the cost of rescheduling our flights home should have been paid. I will never use Travelocity again and want others to know of the unfair policy of their insurers.

I don't think Travelocity's policy was "unfair." Trip insurance policies are called "named perils" policies. (This is not unusual, your Homeowners Insurance is also probably a "named perils" policy. It probably doesn't cover things like a sinkhole opening up under your property, radon issues, earthquakes (without a special rider), mistaken breaking down of the door by police, uncurable animal infestation, or any number of other things that can render a home damaged or uninhabitable.) There are certain things the policy covers, and the rest is simply not the insurance company's problem.

If you read the policy, you will likely find that it doesn't have a clause in there saying they'll cover "any common carrier delay." There are policies that do, and they generally cost more. (This would probably be under "Trip Delay" coverage.)

No, you could not have foreseen it. No, it wasn't your fault. But the policy simply does not cover anything and everything that is unexpected. This isn't "unfair", it's just the way the policy is written (and priced.)

My point is do not but a policy through TRAVELOCITY!

There are many other insurers who would have paid for this situation.

TRAVELOCITY insurance was a disappointment.

Wonder how you know many other insurers would cover this? USAA is a wonderful insurer, perhaps the best - we have been with them for over 30 years. But how can you say "many"?

I understand your frustration, but for $300?

Sorry the cruise was delayed because of a medical emergency, and of course we always want a ship to properly attend to such a medical emergency.

But in the long run it was the cruise line that changed your return date, regardless of the fact that it was for a good reason.

In my opinion (and pursuant to the laws of many countries here in Europe, although maybe not in the United States), that makes the cruise line liable for the additional costs involved in changing your ticket.

Kind regards,

Gunther and Uta

Archived