Dine anytime

Ted W

Just booked a 9 day Mexican cruise leaving March 30th on Spirit from San Diego. Because we booked late, we could not get 1st dining, instead I got on the infamous waitlist and approved for "anytime dining" I have been on several cruise, have never done this.

Anyone have any tips? I really wanted to diine on 1st seating. Seems like if you just walk in anytime, you will be missing some of the fun stuff they do through dinner, and will get stuck eating with my family, who I eat with everyday

Go right at 5:45-6:00...you may get a table by the window and you won't have a wait and you'll be out of there in time to do all the evening activities. You can also request the same waiter/section each night.

We've done your time dining on 3 of our 4 CCL cruises and I'm doing it again in April. This is what I've learned: the busiest time to go is between 6:30 and 7:45...you can sometimes have a wait during this time and elegant night is especially likely to have a wait. If you are in a large party that may increase your chances of having a wait as well. If you get seated around 5:45-6:00 or 8:00-8:15 you should be able to see the waiter singing/dancing show thingy. And I think you can ask to be seated at a big table with other folks.

We cruised on the Magic in November 2011 with Anytime Dining and did the same thing that laumicmah suggested. We would arrive at the dining room right at 5:45 (sometimes a few minutes earlier) and we always got the same table and wait staff. It was great! We didn't miss out on any of the singing/dancing that they do towards the end of the cruise. Our first night we didn't like the wait staff, so on night #2, my husband asked for a different section and from that night on we were very pleased with the wait staff that we had. And they were the same three guys each night.

We did anytime dining on our cruise in Jan, and they kept giving us the same large round table for 10. We even showed up 45 min later than usual, and they had saved it for us. It was a great location, but funny that they kept putting our family of 3 there.

there may be a waiting line. or a wait for a table ..just like going out to eat on land.

You will be on board long enough to 'see the pattern' of your fellow sailmates that week, on one of our cruises we 'learned' that if we showed up at a certin time (approx) we go right in...if we were an hour earlier or later there was about a 20 min wait...

you also always have the option of 'sitting at a larger' table, usually seated faster, but your seated with other cruisers...which we like sometimes. But if your looking for a "table for 2" everytime, you might have to wait.

:)

On my Freedom cruise, I arrived between 6 and 6.30 and always got the same table and wait staff. You can ask to be seated with others if that is what you like, or you can be just to yourselves, and you can mix it up each evening. Have a table to yourselves one night, and be at a larger table with others another night, though you may or may not get different wait staff. If you check your fun times for the times of things you want to do and or see, you can plan your dinner time around those times. Your time dining is flexible that way. Have a great cruise.:)

How long would you say dinner would take on a normal evening in the MDR? We are doing ATD and are new to cruising. I would hate to miss out on any evening activities because I didnt plan properly. Any information would be much appreciated

How long would you say dinner would take on a normal evening in the MDR? We are doing ATD and are new to cruising. I would hate to miss out on any evening activities because I didnt plan properly. Any information would be much appreciated

An hour and 15 minutes to 2 hours...I always figure an hour and a half.

Our wait times were super short, if any. However, ATD is not for us. We like the "old school" style of coming at a certain time, having the same waitstaff. etc. I know you can accomplish this with ATD, but with traditional, it's automatic. With traditional seating, I also like how the whole dining room sits down at the same time versus tables of people around you always coming and going. For us, it's easier to go at the assigned time, scoot over to the showroom, then go to the comedy show. It's very organized and planned out, and that appeals to us. :D

I like anytime dining mostly because once you get on the ship after a port of call you can simply get a drink and chill at the pool then take a shower in your room, get ready and eat! I recommend this for your cruise mostly cause its a 9 day cruise. But... it does depend how many days you spend at sea.I would recommend choose the best one suited for you! :D please leave any tips or information you may want to know for your dining times!

-Matthew

We called the dining rm. each day and made a reservation for whatever time we wanted. When we got there every night we got in right away and always at the same table.

Was this on Carnival? and with "your time dining"? I didnt know that you could call the dining room and reserve a dining time with YTD. Kind of defeats the purpose. Just curious.

First time ANYTIME DINING on the SPLENDOR last May. Loved it. My cruisemate and I always got the same great waiter, could have been seated anywhere, and only once had to wait (15 minutes). Just went down to the Atrium Bar had a drink while waiting. Worked out great. Will request it in the future.

Isn't there a line to see about switching your dining assignment the first afternoon? We've seen this on other cruise lines. Most of the time the maitre d' will try to accommodate your request. Sometimes it's not possible, especially for bigger groups.

Archived