Norwegian Fjords in AUGUST??

From threads on this board and others it appears that May, June and July are the best months for doing the fjords cruise. We are interested in doing the Holland America 14 night Collectors Voyage leaving 28 July, or the 11 August Norwegian Fjords and North Cape trip, but are wondering whether this is too late to appreciate all the beauty - not to mention to get the best weather. August is the best month for us to be away from home, but we would reconsider if we were advised that August is a bad month to go. We have been to the North Cape previously on a land tour of Finland, etc., so really the fjords are the main attraction for us.

Would truly appreciate some advice.

I live in the Netherlands, and our warmest months are July and August, as I understand for Norway that is the same. So I guess that will be a good month too. We are going on the Collector's voyage cruise before the one you want to do.

Edited by bluedolph1n

We did a weekend trip to Flåm in mid-August 2007, and it was quite chilly. When we were sailing through Sognefjord and Nærøyfjord we were huddled under our rain shells with hot cocoa, and after an hour, most people had given up and headed inside.

Weather in Norway is always a gamble, but I would definitely plan to pack some warm layers. Normally I recommend a mid-weight fleece and a windproof shell for summer fjord cruises, because even in milder weather it can be cool and breezy out on deck. For mid-August, I would step that up to a heavy fleece. You might even consider a light winter jacket, especially if you have a versatile 3-in-1 style that could be used in milder weather as well.

From my experiences, July is our warmest month, and while we tend to get a few more spells of hot weather in early August, the temperatures tend to drop pretty fast. The official tourism season in most towns on the west coast is mid-June to mid-August.

However, the scenery is still beautiful, and the Norwegians hold fast to the saying, "There's no such thing as bad weather, only inappropriate clothing!"

bluedolphin - thanks for your reply. We are thinking of changing to the July 21 Collectors Cruise or even the Prinsendam's 14 nt. North Cape Explorer leaving Amsterdam on June 12. Unfortunately, the July 7 sailing to Norwegian Fjords and North Cape isn't a possibility for us. I think we are giving our TA nightmares!

KirkNC - thank you for your encouraging reply re August.

kaisatsu - appreciate your input. We had a feeling that mid-August could be pretty cold and we are now thinking to change to an earlier cruise, even though August would have suited our timetable best. Layered clothing is obviously the way to go, but we like to travel as light as possible and an earlier cruise might make that easier.

Don't let me scare you off too much! You could luck into some great weather (last August was particularly nice), and you'd need to take some warm layers even going earlier in the season, since the weather is so unpredictable. Plus, when it comes to traveling light, you can always "wear" a layer onto the plane.

Don't let me scare you off too much! You could luck into some great weather (last August was particularly nice), and you'd need to take some warm layers even going earlier in the season, since the weather is so unpredictable. Plus, when it comes to traveling light, you can always "wear" a layer onto the plane.

Don't worry, I don't scare too easily! We have, however, decided to take the July 21 Norwegian Fjords Collectors Cruise, which is only 3 weeks earlier, mainly because we want to see all of the spectacular fjords and are willing to forego the North Cape, which we visited on a land tour some years ago. We will indeed take an assortment of "layers" for all weathers and occasions and we're sure we'll have a great cruise. By the way, I found your tips re what to do and see in Oslo, the map, etc., very helpful and interesting.

Don't worry, I don't scare too easily! We have, however, decided to take the July 21 Norwegian Fjords Collectors Cruise, which is only 3 weeks earlier, mainly because we want to see all of the spectacular fjords and are willing to forego the North Cape, which we visited on a land tour some years ago. We will indeed take an assortment of "layers" for all weathers and occasions and we're sure we'll have a great cruise. By the way, I found your tips re what to do and see in Oslo, the map, etc., very helpful and interesting.

Congratulations on finalizing your cruise. Are you doing the shorter seven-day version or the full 14-day trip that includes Bergen, Geiranger, Alesund, etc.?

Make sure you do the Flam rail trip. Below are some of my visual samples to give you a preview on that exciting option. Happy to share more and/or answer any added questions. From the below live/blog, you can see many more details for many of these great places along the Norway coast.

Flam, with a population of about 500, is nestled in a tributary of the world's longest and deepest fjord. It is 128 miles long and has a maximum depth of 4,291 feet. On the question of how deep are these fjords, local say: “A mermaid could swim all the way to China.” Our chief attraction here is the 66-year-old Flam Railway. It is widely known as one of the world's best railroad journeys. It includes twenty tunnels and eight stops as it goes up the mountain. This rail lines rises from Flam’s gingerbread rail station going up 2,835 feet to Myrdal and this "Roof of Norway" rail station.

Railroad website: http://www.flaamsbana.no/eng.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 63,294 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 58,073 views.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

Arriving at Flam, the Captain is right there directing this docking process. You can see here some of the fjord mountains, waterfalls in the background. This town is fairly small with the rail trip being the main attraction and activity here.:

FjordsDockedFlam.jpg

Here are a few highlights from the Flam train ride, including where you stop in a stone tunnel to get out and then see this dramatic 305-foot-high Kjosfossen Waterfall half-way on this 12.4 mile trip. We then exit the train at the Vatnahalsen Hotel, to see the grounds, nearby mountains, etc. Lots of great views on this routing, up and down.:

FjordTrainWaterfall.jpg

FjordsTrainViews2.jpg

Here's a nice farm view along this great fjord and another Flam train view.:

FjordFarmView.jpg

FjordsTrainViews.jpg

After visiting Flam, here is a sample of the spectacular Sognerfjord as sailed to our afternoon in nearby Gudvangen.:

FjordMntskyView.jpg

Hi TLCOhio

Thanks for your interesting post. We are doing the 14 day Norwegian Fjords Collectors Voyage and are thrilled that we have now received confirmation. We've already made a reservation for the ship's Railway Tour of Flam. We'd heard about it before and your encouraging notes and photos just confirmed that it was a MUST!! The only other ship's tour we're thinking of doing is in Rotterdam on the middle Saturday, which is a good time to be off the ship, giving the shorter cruise passengers a chance to disembark/embark. We will probably make our own plans for the other ports since the ship's tours appear to be very expensive.

Hi TLCOhio: Thanks for your interesting post. We are doing the 14 day Norwegian Fjords Collectors Voyage and are thrilled that we have now received confirmation. We've already made a reservation for the ship's Railway Tour of Flam. We'd heard about it before and your encouraging notes and photos just confirmed that it was a MUST!! The only other ship's tour we're thinking of doing is in Rotterdam on the middle Saturday, which is a good time to be off the ship, giving the shorter cruise passengers a chance to disembark/embark. We will probably make our own plans for the other ports since the ship's tours appear to be very expensive.

Glad you're booked on the Flam rail trip and appreciate your nice comments, follow-up.

You noted about ship tours being expensive. Correct. That's largely a function of Norway being a very costly country due to its high taxes, limited labor pool, short tourism season, etc. My friendly warning is if you assume you will save money by skipping ship tours and just "walking around", you might be disappointed or short-changed. You are spending a good amount of money for your cruise, air fare, etc. To go to Norway and not really "see it" might be a "false savings". In some cases, ship tours help solve certain logistic problems and challenges in getting to and back from key locations, etc., not right there at the port/docking location.

Lots of Bergen can be done on your own. Same, in part, is true about Alesund. BUT, if you realize why the costs are high and that you might want to explore deeper in some case and areas, that will help in order to gain a fuller appreciation for all that makes Norway so spectacular and super wonderful. Below are more of my visuals from Bergen and Alesund, etc., to help in your planning.

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 63,294 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 58,073 views.

This is the dramatic overview of Alesund from the Aksla vantage point. This spot allows a nearly 360-degree view of this setting for this island city and the surrounding mountains and islands. It is at a 597’ height overlooking the five islands making up the scenic town.:

AlesundHarbor.jpg

This is the super scenic view from immediately above Geiranger that shows the Silver Cloud and Costa ships tendered. A little before this picture, we were to go to Mt. Dalsnibba as a photo stop from this 4,920-foot vantage for the snow-covered surrounding mountains, icy glaciers, crystalline lakes and Geirangerfjord far below. We went there, but it was totally “socked in”. It was so thick, you could barely find your bus on this day on top of the big mountain crowded with lots of buses from the Costa ship. But this view, at a lower level, makes up for that problems and provided a wonderful vista.:

FjordsFinalPortLongView.jpg

After being tendered from Geiranger, we sailed out and passed by two super famous waterfalls. YES, yes, we saw lots and lots of waterfalls on this trip, but these two were among the “best of the best”. First is the “Seven Sisters”. Directly opposite in this narrow fjord, it is called several names, including “The Suitor”. The majesty for these feats of nature is pretty amazing.:

FjordWaterfallSevenSisters-1.jpg

This picture shows the Bergen Floibanen funicular railway coming up the steep hill with the harbor, fish market, etc. in the background of this charming Norway coastal town with so much great history and architecture. On the top, somewhat right, the Silver Cloud and Costa ships can be seen in the harbor.

BergenRailCarUpHill.jpg

Here’s a close look at these historic Bergen Hanseatic merchant warehouse building fronts, people taking pictures, etc. :

BergenCloseHistBldgPixs.jpg

Right near the Hanseatic merchant warehouse area is the Bergen Fish Market with lots of options to buy food to eat on site or just watch, enjoying the “show” as people ask questions and buy the various fresh fish items.:

BergenFishMktCloseUp.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry,TLCOhio, I have only just caught up on my CC board message. Thanks so much for your reply and advice re doing ship's tours as opposed to doing our own thing (walking around?). We will give serious thought to taking your advice as we really do want to see everything we possibly can. We've been looking at all your photos and they are really great! I can see that my husband and I will have an amazing time with our cameras while we're on this cruise.

Sorry,TLCOhio, I have only just caught up on my CC board message. Thanks so much for your reply and advice re doing ship's tours as opposed to doing our own thing (walking around?). We will give serious thought to taking your advice as we really do want to see everything we possibly can. We've been looking at all your photos and they are really great! I can see that my husband and I will have an amazing time with our cameras while we're on this cruise.

Appreciate the follow-up and added, nice comments. Keep researching and planning. You've got that time. Let me know any added questions. Happy to provide more help.

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 65,398 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 59,676 views.

Terry

we are doing a 28 day cruise on the Ryndam starting in Dover and ending in Amsterdam in July, August this year with the last 7 days being in Norway. We have been to Alesund, Bergen and Oslo on the HAL 35 day cruise but Flam is a new port. We do want to take the Flamsban ride and i am encouragingmy DH to do the full 8 hour Norway in a nutshell. So we will be two children 11 and 13, their nanny and me. Can we walk from the port to the railway station ?

Also have you been to Kritiansand Norway. think i know what we are doing in Stavenger

Also have you heard of anyone doing the Norwegian Folk Musuem in Oslo. We have been to Oslo before and seen the 'first' things and want to go there this time but not sure how far it is from the port and how easy to get a taxi back. We had a terrible time getting a taxi when we lest Vegeland before

Terry we are doing a 28 day cruise on the Ryndam starting in Dover and ending in Amsterdam in July, August this year with the last 7 days being in Norway. We have been to Alesund, Bergen and Oslo on the HAL 35 day cruise but Flam is a new port. We do want to take the Flamsban ride and i am encouragingmy DH to do the full 8 hour Norway in a nutshell. So we will be two children 11 and 13, their nanny and me. Can we walk from the port to the railway station ? Also have you been to Kritiansand Norway. think i know what we are doing in Stavenger

tgetz: Also have you heard of anyone doing the Norwegian Folk Musuem in Oslo. We have been to Oslo before and seen the 'first' things and want to go there this time but not sure how far it is from the port and how easy to get a taxi back. We had a terrible time getting a taxi when we lest Vegeland before

Great to know you've had this much previous experience in Norway' date=' Europe, etc. [i']On Flam, YES, it is a very short and easy walk from where we docked[/i] to the train boarding location. Flam is very, very small! BUT, what I don't know is how many cruise ships will be in Flam when you visit. We were docked and the only cruise ship in port that morning. If there are multiple ships in port, some might be tendering. Glad you are doing the Flam rail trip and trying to do something "up country". It's great to see and do more than just what is immediately there in a small fjord port. Below are a few more visuals connected with the Flam rail trip.

We have not been to Kritiansand, Norway. Sorry! You bring up a good point about Oslo and getting around there. On busy port days, it might not be as easy as walking off of the ship and grabbing a cab. There are different docking places there and much depends on how many cruise ships are in port that day. Cruise ship excursions are not always the cheapest or best, but they do make things quick and easy to get where you want and back without too much worry or hassle.

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 66,225 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 60,286 views.

Here’s the Vatnahalsen Hotell that we did during our morning visit to Flam, riding the railroad there, etc. Note their spelling for Hotell. Below is the interior for the small, charming hotel and dining place.:

FlamMainVatHotelBldg.jpg

FlamHotelInside.jpg

From our early July 2010 visit to the highly-rated Sognerfjord, here are some added details and sights from Flam, riding the railroad there, etc. This includes showing the interior of the passenger cars, several views from the train going up and back, the view at the hotel deck of the nearby mountains, etc.::

FlamTrainInterior.jpg

FlamTrain2Tunnel.jpg

FlamHotelDeckMount.jpg

FlamTrainValleyWFallView.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

We are doing the 14 day Norwegian Fjords Collectors Voyage this will be our first time to Norway. I hope to get photos like TLCOhio, they look great.

Edited by gafala

We are doing the 14 day Norwegian Fjords Collectors Voyage this will be our first time to Norway. I hope to get photos like TLCOhio, they look great.

Welcome to these Cruise Critic boards. Lots of helpful people here and great info, etc. Are you doing the June 23 HAL Ryndam cruise, Norwegian Fjords Collectors, that goes from Dover and does Oslo, Kristiansand, Stavanger, Ulvik, Eidfjord, Alesund, Geiranger and Bergen? Or, another date, but these ports?

Wonderful areas, stops, sights, history, architecture, charm, etc., etc. Here's a little more on Bergen. We had a great weather day there and below are some added pictures from there that I had not posted on this thread.

As the seat of Norway’s medieval kingdom of Norway for six centuries, Bergen is a former Viking stronghold encircled by deep fjords, towering mountains, and sweeping glaciers. Today's Bergen has much of the medieval flavor remaining around Bergen's harbor. We explored the cobblestone streets, saw its pastel-color wooden houses, bargained in some of the many artisans' workshops and visited the famous and always-entertaining Fish Market. You can watch the locals haggling over today's catch and enjoy a quayside lunch of freshly caught salmon or fish and chips.

Rated by Frommers as more scenic than Oslo, Bergen was the base of the medieval Hanseatic merchants. Those historic timbered houses are set around Bryggen or The Wharf, a center for crafts and workshops. Its prime row is mostly reconstructed 14th-century structures, some of which were originally destroyed by fire. Det Hansseatiske Museum depicts commercial life on the wharf in the early 18th century and is highly rates with well-preserved wooden structure. Its art museums are highly-rated with religious icon, local art, etc.

We did a special two-hour tour for our group of six with Anne Lien, the owner of Bergen Guide Service. You can reach Anne at http://www.bergenguideservice.no or by e-mail at anne@bergenguideservice.no.

Anne was great in giving us the details about the unique history of the Hanseatic merchants, how their building were built, what’s caused the crooked-look of today and what’s being done to preserve these unique structures.

In the afternoon, after some of the big crowds had lessened, we took the Floibanen funicular railway to the top of a 1050-foot high peak for scenic views. This cable car has been operating for over 80 years and was refurbished in 2002. The Funicular Lower Station is situated 150 meters from the Fish Market. At the top of the Mount Floyen, there are hiking trails and places for lunch or dinner. The trip takes seven minutes and both cars are on the same cable going up and down. Mariakirken or St. Mary’s Church is the most outstanding Romanesque church in Norway. Bergen is Norway’s largest port and has a population of 252,000. Scenic Bergen completed our voyage with its dramatic backdrop of seven rounded mountains and cobbled streets. It entices you to take memories and photos cherishing the land of the Norsemen.

Tourism Office: http://www.visitbergen.com/en

We docked at the fairly handy Skoltegrunskaien Pier. This put us within about a 10-15 minute walk of the main attractions at the market and warehouse area.

THANKS for the nice comments on the pictures. Hope your visuals AND weather work out well, too! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 68,273 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 61,512 views.

Appreciate those who have “tuned in” for these two posts. Don’t be shy and feel free to comment and/or ask any questions of interest.

In Bergen, this was our great vista on this sunny day from the top of the Floibanen funicular railway station and its scenic overview.:

BergenHarborView.jpg

In Bergen’s Hanseatic warehouse area, this folk music group is entertaining as people sit outside, drink beer (at $13.25 each) and enjoy the great weather day.:

BergenFolkSingers.jpg

In the Bergen market area, here’s one of the sales tent offerings for local woolen products.

BergenWoolenStore.jpg

From higher, here’s a view of the Fish Market area and other buildings in the main part of Bergen.

BergenFishMarkTown.jpg

Bergenhus Festning Castle is located in the entrance to Bergen’s harbor and is one of the oldest, best-preserved castles in Norway. Shown is Rosenkrantz Tower, built in the mid 1500’s with dungeons on the ground floor, cannons on the top floor, etc. :

BergenFortress.jpg

From the Bergen harbor, this is the view of the station, dining place, etc., for the Floibanen funicular railway at the top of its 1050-foot high peak.:

BergenFuncTrainTop.jpg

Edited by TLCOhio

Your info here is a big help, I plan on taking some Panorama shots and doing some HDR's. I will be taking a Nikon D-3 with 24X120mm, 10.5mm fisheye, 80X400mm, and a 100X500mm with a Manfrotto 190CXPRO3 carbon fiber tripod this should give me a good collection of photos.

Your info here is a big help, I plan on taking some Panorama shots and doing some HDR's. I will be taking a Nikon D-3 with 24X120mm, 10.5mm fisheye, 80X400mm, and a 100X500mm with a Manfrotto 190CXPRO3 carbon fiber tripod this should give me a good collection of photos.

WOW!! Super wow!! With a Nikon D-3 and all of those lens, that is big-time equipment. With my Nikon D3100 and 18-55mm, 55-300 mm and 10-20 mm wide angle lenses, it makes me seem like a little, small-time guy. BUT, there's lots of weight and bulk there to lug around, etc.

Weather is the big unknown for Bergen and the fjords. Never know what it will actually be. So, take lots and lots of pictures, hope for the best, be quick and agile, etc. I brought my tripod along, but never ended up using it in order to save time and weight.

Which exact cruise are you on and doing? Dates?

Other questions, reactions?? Below are a few more on Bergen!!

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 68,273 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 61,512 views.

From the higher hill areas of Bergen, here is the view of the rooftops and other harbor area places.:

BergenRoofTops2Ships.jpg

Along the Bergen harbor with many people in this plaza, this photo shows a tight angle of the wooden Hanseatic League merchant warehouses on the right and the Bergenhus Festning Castle and its mid 1500’s Rosenkrantz Tower.:

BergenCastleWarehouseAngle.jpg

From water level across the Bergen harbor, this shows the Hanseatic merchant warehouses, other buildings and up to the station for the Floibanen funicular railway at the top of this 1050-foot high peak that overlooks the whole scenic area.:

BergenHarborRailStatTop.jpg

This view from the Bergen hilltop shows the central downtown shopping area (Torgalmenningen, the major square) and many various building rooftops. The red brick church at the top is Johanneskirken (St. John's church), built of red brick in a neo-gothic style in 1894. The church tower at the left is Korskirken, dating back to the latter half of the 12th century and whose name means “True Cross”. Lots of interesting and historic architecture in Bergen.:

BergenChurchTowers.jpg

We are doing the Europe Collectors 14 day July 21 to Aug 5, I won't take all the lens on each excursion as you said the weight is a factor, I do use the MAS system from Tamrac this make things easer to carry. I hope to get a good HDR panorama of Fram Fjord, that depends on the weather as you said, My panorama setup is a Acratech panorama head, and a Kirk slide mounted on the 190.We are using HAL's excusions, we have had good luck with them before all 9 ports are booked.

Edited by gafala

We are doing the Europe Collectors 14 day July 21 to Aug 5, I won't take all the lens on each excursion as you said the weight is a factor, I do use the MAS system from Tamrac this make things easer to carry. I hope to get a good HDR panorama of Fram Fjord, that depends on the weather as you said, My panorama setup is a Acratech panorama head, and a Kirk slide mounted on the 190. We are using HAL's excusions, we have had good luck with them before all 9 ports are booked.

YES! You're well set-up with many good camera and equipment options.

Looks like your cruise will have a stop at Alesund, plus Bergen, etc. Here are a few more of my visuals to consider and get you excited about this upcoming cruise and the photo opportunties.

At a lower, street-level part of Alesund, here are some of the buildings along the central waterway, plus a nice statue.:

AlesundHarborLowerStat.jpg

To the south of Alesund is Runde Island, famous for its birds and scenic views. This shows a house on this beautiful island with the mountains on other nearby islands.:

RundeIsHouseMountains.jpg

From the Aksla viewpoint in Alesund, here is another angle with the spectacular view that shows distance islands, landscapes and mountains. Second is a picture from the downtown waterfront area looking up to this structure at the top of the Aksla viewpoint.:

AlesundMtnViewAnotherDirection.jpg

AlesundWater2OverviewPoint.jpg

This view shows an important central Bergen lake and park at Little Lungegårdsvann and Festplassen. At the park is its music pavilion dating from 1889. It is the site of many local festivals and activities. Several museums are nearby and you can see the fan-shaped, concrete roof of the Grieghallen cultural complex with its 1500-seat theater.:

BergenLakeParkCentDwnt.jpg

Here is one of the glass Floibanen funicular railway getting ready to depart from the top of this 1050-foot high station.:

BergenTrainDownHill.jpg

We are booked on the Sojourn for the Fjords and North Cape departing June 29. I see many photo opportunities in our future!!

Terry, I have been admiring your photos and realize that I definitely need an upgrade to my camera. Nikon has a 15-200 zoom lens that might be an all around fit so that I don't have to carry a heavy camera bag. What is your opinion on this type of lens. Considering either the D3100 or D5100. I currently have a non SLR Nikon with a large zoom and all the bells and whistles but the photos are no better than my little pocket 12x pocket zoom.

Also, what was your favorite place on this itinerary?

Thanks and keep posting your wonderful photos and great advice.