Can we make the 8:30 English tour at Vasa?

I have been reading through the posts about getting to Vasa and now I have another question. We are on the NCL Sun docking at Frihamnen at 8:00 in June. The first English tour at Vasa is at 8:30, then they are every hour on the half hour, so the next one is at 9:30. Should we even try to make the 8:30 tour? Assuming we can get off right at 8:00 (or does NCL allow those with cruise tour to get off first), find the bus stop and make the bus, it this possible? We will definitely get Swedish Kroners beforehand at our local bank. It seems to me that the longest line would be at 9:30, when everyone is definitely going to be getting there. We only from 8 - 4 in Stockholm which means back on the ship at 3:30.

I have been reading through the posts about getting to Vasa and now I have another question. We are on the NCL Sun docking at Frihamnen at 8:00 in June. The first English tour at Vasa is at 8:30, then they are every hour on the half hour, so the next one is at 9:30. Should we even try to make the 8:30 tour? Assuming we can get off right at 8:00 (or does NCL allow those with cruise tour to get off first), find the bus stop and make the bus, it this possible? We will definitely get Swedish Kroners beforehand at our local bank. It seems to me that the longest line would be at 9:30, when everyone is definitely going to be getting there. We only from 8 - 4 in Stockholm which means back on the ship at 3:30.

We were at the Vasa very early using the HOHO boat...However we managed quite well without the necessity of a tour guide ...

IF you can get off at 8:00 yes. It is only about a 5 minute walk to the bus stop. I seem to recall the bus is fairly frequent and it is about a 10 minute ride to your stop ( Djurgardsbron) and then another 5 minutes to Vasa.

Hi

How brilliant that you are there so early. All I'd say is get there as quickly as possible, and if you make that 8.30 tour then great, but if not then it's no big deal. Your enjoyment of the museum is not affected by which way round you do things. If you've seen the film and viewed the ship from all the angles before you do the tour, it might even mean more to you, or prompt you to ask questions of your guide that you might not have thought of if you had gone on the tour as soon as you got into the museum.

There's no right or wrong way of doing this, either way you will love Vasa.

Entry to the museum cost 119 Sw Kr in 2010 and I paid by credit card.

The (20 minute) guided tour is very good, but even better IMHO is the film they show.

To be as time-efficient as possible head straight for the information desk to find out the time of the next showing (in your language) of the terrific 25-minute film of how the ship was found, raised and restored. Then go to the theatre 5 minutes before 'showtime'.

I'd say you can 'budget' for 60-75 minutes once in the museum if you get lucky with the times of the film and tour, 75-90 if you don't, so you'll be out of the museum by 10 am with plenty of time to enjoy more of the fantastic city of Stockholm.

This tells the story of Vasa and shows the museum :

All the best, Tony

:confused: In looking at the website for Vasa, they state that opening time is 10:00 am. Do they open earlier for the ships and if so what time? We are only in port from 7:00 to 2:00 and so we were going to skip Vasa because the opening time was in the middle of our visit and wouldn't leave time for Gamla Stan.

Thanks

:confused: In looking at the website for Vasa, they state that opening time is 10:00 am. Do they open earlier for the ships and if so what time? We are only in port from 7:00 to 2:00 and so we were going to skip Vasa because the opening time was in the middle of our visit and wouldn't leave time for Gamla Stan.

Thanks

The opening hours for the Vasa change to 8:30, in June. I also looked at the public transport website and it definitely says that you cannot purchase tickets on the buses. Don't forget if you are seniors, the Swedish, have reduced rates for for daily bus passes. When we were there last, the fellow at the metro station where we bought our passes, really tried to give us a reduced rate. We were not yet 65. We told him we didn't qualify and he seemed really disappointed.

See you soon

Mae

Hi

How brilliant that you are there so early. All I'd say is get there as quickly as possible, and if you make that 8.30 tour then great, but if not then it's no big deal. Your enjoyment of the museum is not affected by which way round you do things. If you've seen the film and viewed the ship from all the angles before you do the tour, it might even mean more to you, or prompt you to ask questions of your guide that you might not have thought of if you had gone on the tour as soon as you got into the museum.

There's no right or wrong way of doing this, either way you will love Vasa.

Entry to the museum cost 119 Sw Kr in 2010 and I paid by credit card.

The (20 minute) guided tour is very good, but even better IMHO is the film they show.

To be as time-efficient as possible head straight for the information desk to find out the time of the next showing (in your language) of the terrific 25-minute film of how the ship was found, raised and restored. Then go to the theatre 5 minutes before 'showtime'.

I'd say you can 'budget' for 60-75 minutes once in the museum if you get lucky with the times of the film and tour, 75-90 if you don't, so you'll be out of the museum by 10 am with plenty of time to enjoy more of the fantastic city of Stockholm.

This tells the story of Vasa and shows the museum :

All the best, Tony

This is very good advice. The film is wonderful.

The key is to get there as early as you can and do the movie and tour as they are available. A truly great museum.

A bit of advice for the Sun. You are docked this year - we were tendered in Nynashamn - so you can get off promptly by taking the forward elevator down to the deck with the exit - deck 4 I think. You do not have to wait for all cruise tours to exit to be able to get off. Be persistent. We were turned back at the stairs, then just turned around, grabbed an elevator, then, voila, we were off.

Doing the tour is fine, but as others have said, if you miss it, it's no big deal. When we went, we had no intention of doing the tour. We watched the movie and set out on our own. we did pass by several tours as we were seeing the museum and we happened to listen in on some of what they were saying. Some things did interest us more than others, so we were glad we did the museum on our own at our own pace.

Not sure if you get there a bit late, if you can just join a tour already in progress or they limit the amount of people on each tour???

Cheers

Len

Archived