Gold and platinum wine packages on fos

melodie12

Thinking about buying either the Gold or Platinum Wine Package - 12 bottles. Can anyone tell me how this works? And is it only me that is allowed to drink the wine or can my husband, mother and father also share?

Also, my parents and I are in cabins next door to each other (6330 and 6332). They are not adjoining cabins but can we get the balcony partition opened if we request this?

Yes, you are pre-purchasing the wine and you can share it with anybody you like. When you order a bottle in one of the restaurants or dining rooms you just tell them you have the package. Any unconsumed wine can be corked and saved for when you next want it.

the balcony partitions depend very much on what the captain instructs. Some people report they have no difficulty, and others report it is not permitted. We have never had any success in getting them opened.

Depending on wines selected it can be a bit of savings. I tend to be skeptical about the ones with the highest individual bottle price above the package average as that individual bottle price can be anything they want to set and could be a lure to what for RCI is a high margin item. What they lose on individual sales they make up for in package selections by bargain hunters.

First time you order from the package they will take SeaPass and have you sign for package and they will apply a sticker to the card. From then on this is the only card that can be used for that package purchase. last cruise my two brothers and I each bought seven bottle packages and we shared with all eight of us at the table cruising with our parents.

If time permits it is often possible to find selections locally that are on the sample wine lists for the package and preview them. If there are enough Gold selections that are acceptable it can save a fair bit to not add the few exrta selections in the Platinum list.

Thanks for info so far. Another couple of questions. What happens to any bottles which you have not drunk - can you take them off of the ship? Also, do you just tell the waiter which bottle you want off of the Platinum list?

Yes, you can take bottles off the ship if you like. Yes, you just tell the waiter which wine you want. You can also get more than one at one time if you like. Such as one for dinner and one for the cabin.

When we go have dinner the wine Sommelier would help us pick out wine that would go go with dinner that was in our package as they know we had bought the package. If you don't drink it all they can cork it and save it for the next night or you an take it to your room.

We go with the Platinum as the Gold wasn't that much different for the price.

Thanks

Thinking of the Platinum Package because there is more choice and as you say it's not much of a price difference. Do you know if when you pre-purchase it you pay for it there and then or do you pay for it only when you board the ship?

Thanks

Thinking of the Platinum Package because there is more choice and as you say it's not much of a price difference. Do you know if when you pre-purchase it you pay for it there and then or do you pay for it only when you board the ship?

You can pre pay or order the package once on board. There are usually stands set up by the Windjammer cafe for you to sign to a package.

Thanks

Anything you pre-purchase (wine packages, excursions, specialty restaurants, etc.) is paid for immediately with your credit card.

Also, my parents and I are in cabins next door to each other (6330 and 6332). They are not adjoining cabins but can we get the balcony partition opened if we request this?

As others have said, it's hit or miss in getting the balcony partitions opened, but we've been successful on both of our prior Freedom cruises. Occupants in both rooms have to confirm with room steward that it is okay. The balcony is not fully open though; just about half of the divider opens, about like a door entrance.

Thanks again. Finally, how much does it generally cost for a single glass of wine - 250 ml in size? And for a vodka and coke?

Cheapest glass of wine is $6. Not sure about the vodka and coke, but probably about the same.

• 6 months later...
Does anyone know what the average pour size is per glass of wine, 3,5 or 7 ounces? Also is it any savings to do a wine package? We would like to know the price range of wine by the glass if anyone knows.

Thanks

I'm travelling on the Adventure next month and would also be interested to hear if there is a saving buying the package or just by the bottle as required. there will be 4 of us and we do like our wine :)

Here's a link to an analysis that should answer your questions:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1129043

We loved the idea of the wine package. Although we had MTD, we had the same table and waitstaff every evening. The waiter remembered each night to bring the wine list right after we were seated.

In addition, when we brought the unfinished bottle back to our cabin after dinner, we asked the steward to bring us wine glasses so we could finish the bottle at our leisure. The next morning the steward not only removed the glasses we had used but also left 2 new glasses so we could have wine in the stateroom that night as well. He continued to do that every day of the cruise without us having to request it. We gladly tipped him additional for his service.

We purchased on night 2, after we ended up sticking with wine, so hadn't done a savings analysis or anything...just liked the convenience. Our Sea Pass had a sticker on it that indicated that we had the package, although we always ordered at Schooner or in MDR, so the crew knew what we wanted...something nice about boarding after a great day in port, and being able to grab a bottle and two glasses to enjoy before dinner :rolleyes:

We do the Platinum package and find it works well. A lot more choices than Gold for not much extra money. The Diamond doesn't have that many extra selections.

At the end of the day, it's probably more or less a wash to order the package or order by the bottle. After all, the cruise lines know what they're doing. :) However, the convenience and flexibility are nice.

Reasons I wouldn't go with the package: (1) only one person drinks one glass per night -- the wine might not be great after being stored for 3 nights; (2) you aren't satisfied with the wines in the package; (3) you aren't going to drink even the minimum number of bottles in the package (5, I think) during your cruise.

Archived