Best Place to stay in FLL before Cruise

mom2dina

When I have checked out of a hotel that I have stayed in using PL or HW, they do not provide a receipt indicating what I paid for the room, because, they simply have stated that your room has already been paid for through PL or HW. So with that simple statement, do you think they even know how much we paid for our room. Could someone who works for a hotel answer thisand we were given a room with a not so great view. I thought that was maybe due to the fact that we had checked in late and not so much that we had booked though PL. Another time when I had booked a room on HW, the hotel knew that we were celebrating a special occasion, gave us a wonderful oceanview suite with a 20`balcony room (said we had been UPGRADED, the room normally sells for over $500 a night) and even had a complimentary bottle of wine, cheese and crackers (and a card) delivered to our room when we were out for dinner. Now all this for our HW rate of less that $100.00 (taxes included).

We were truly spoiled!! So, I guess you just never know!!:rolleyes:

My wife and I will be flying into FLL on Aug. 25 for our sailing on Allure on the 26th and are needing a hotel for the night. We do not land until 10:00pm the night before the cruise so we are not worried about luxury but also dont want cheap... Anyone have any suggestions on a hotel with free shuttle from airport and to port and also is a nice hotel?

When I have checked out of a hotel that I have stayed in using PL or HW, they do not provide a receipt indicating what I paid for the room, because, they simply have stated that your room has already been paid for through PL or HW. So with that simple statement, do you think they even know how much we paid for our room. Could someone who works for a hotel answer thisand we were given a room with a not so great view. I thought that was maybe due to the fact that we had checked in late and not so much that we had booked though PL. Another time when I had booked a room on HW, the hotel knew that we were celebrating a special occasion, gave us a wonderful oceanview suite with a 20`balcony room (said we had been UPGRADED, the room normally sells for over $500 a night) and even had a complimentary bottle of wine, cheese and crackers (and a card) delivered to our room when we were out for dinner. Now all this for our HW rate of less that $100.00 (taxes included).

We were truly spoiled!! So, I guess you just never know!!:rolleyes:

Yes, the person checking you in knows exactly how much you paid for your room night.

I have almost twenty years experience in hotel management.

When you checked in late, the hotel was probably almost full or full which is why you were given a room with a lousy view.

When you checked in on your special occaision, the hotel had low occupancy and was able to upgrade you to make the occaision that much more special.

We stayed at Cambria Suites Ft. Lauderdale for one night before a cruise in January 2012. Overall, we really enjoyed our stay at the hotel! It looked very modern, clean, warm and comfortable. The rooms were spacious with a king-sized bed and flat screen TV, large writing desk, separate couch and seating area with a separate TV, fridge, microwave, large bathroom with an enclosed stand-up shower. The rooms were very clean and we had a great view of the outdoor swimming pool as well.

I loved swimming outside in the pool and jacuzzi. There were lots of places to sit around the pool to soak up the sun. The fitness centre was also very nice and clean, with a nice variety of exercise machines.

For us, we chose this hotel because there was a complimentary shuttle to and from the airport, and to and from the cruise ship port. It was very easy to call for the shuttle from the airport and we were picked up in no time. When we checked in at the hotel, we arranged to be driven to the cruise port the next morning.

The hotel is within walking distance to some shopping centres and restaurants. We walked over to the Chipotle and enjoyed a great lunch.

For dinner, we stayed at the hotel and enjoyed the hotel's restaurant. Our waitress was really nice and helpful and we really liked the food. We both got some delicious sandwiches and dessert.

Some criticisms: The hotel advertised that their coffee bar was open 24/7 - when I wanted to get a coffee at 4pm, the staff told me that it didn't open until 5pm and otherwise, I would have to brew some coffee in my hotel room (which was not very good). For breakfast in the morning, it was $8/pp and it was very disappointing. There was not a very good selection of items, it didn't taste fresh, and the food was bland. The quality of food was something that would be normally provided at a hotel's complimentary hot breakfast bar. We were not impressed with the breakfast at all and would suggest to either go for breakfast outside of the hotel at a different restaurant, or if you are planning to board a cruise ship, please save your money and wait until you get on board the ship to eat some lunch.

All in all, I would totally recommend this hotel to anyone looking to stay overnight pre or post cruise in Fort Lauderdale.

If you'd like to see pictures of the hotel, or would like to check out my online vacation journal from this trip, please feel free to go to my blog - I'm updating it daily with new pics and journal entries from this past Caribbean cruise that I went on! :) http://poolieandloolie.blogspot.com

We loved the Cambria Inn & Suites. Free Airport shuttle and to the Port....I will always stay there when I go. When we stayed there, they had just opened 6 months prior. Beautiful place. I believe it is off Las Olas too.

Cambria is not even close to Las Olas Blvd. It's over 5 miles away.

royalcruz,

Have narrowed dowm my hotel options between GalleryOne Doubletree and Marriott Courtyard.

Only needs are restaruant nearby for great dinner after a day of flying, and easy access to a store to buy wine before our cruise. We will be staying on a Tuesday in Dec.

royalcruz,

Have narrowed dowm my hotel options between GalleryOne Doubletree and Marriott Courtyard.

Only needs are restaruant nearby for great dinner after a day of flying, and easy access to a store to buy wine before our cruise. We will be staying on a Tuesday in Dec.

Gallery One is a block from Publix which has a very nice wine selection. There are very good chain restaurants at the mall next door: Truluck, Capital Grill, Seasons 52, P.F. Changs. Across the street are Texas Steakhouse (I haven't tried it) and Jade Palace. There are more good restaurants about 6 blocks west: Il Mulino, Canyon, Tipico, Sukho Thai.

Which Marriott Courtyard?

RoyalCruz,

Sorry I forgot to say which Courtyard. It is the one at 440 Seabreeze Blvd. It is called Courtyard Fort Lauderdale Beach on tripadvisor.

Again thank you for your time. It is good to get help from a local.:)

**What types of restaurants & shopping centers are nearby? How close are they??

We stayed at Cambria Suites Ft. Lauderdale for one night before a cruise in January 2012. Overall, we really enjoyed our stay at the hotel! It looked very modern, clean, warm and comfortable. The rooms were spacious with a king-sized bed and flat screen TV, large writing desk, separate couch and seating area with a separate TV, fridge, microwave, large bathroom with an enclosed stand-up shower. The rooms were very clean and we had a great view of the outdoor swimming pool as well.

I loved swimming outside in the pool and jacuzzi. There were lots of places to sit around the pool to soak up the sun. The fitness centre was also very nice and clean, with a nice variety of exercise machines.

For us, we chose this hotel because there was a complimentary shuttle to and from the airport, and to and from the cruise ship port. It was very easy to call for the shuttle from the airport and we were picked up in no time. When we checked in at the hotel, we arranged to be driven to the cruise port the next morning.

The hotel is within walking distance to some shopping centres and restaurants. We walked over to the Chipotle and enjoyed a great lunch.

For dinner, we stayed at the hotel and enjoyed the hotel's restaurant. Our waitress was really nice and helpful and we really liked the food. We both got some delicious sandwiches and dessert.

Some criticisms: The hotel advertised that their coffee bar was open 24/7 - when I wanted to get a coffee at 4pm, the staff told me that it didn't open until 5pm and otherwise, I would have to brew some coffee in my hotel room (which was not very good). For breakfast in the morning, it was $8/pp and it was very disappointing. There was not a very good selection of items, it didn't taste fresh, and the food was bland. The quality of food was something that would be normally provided at a hotel's complimentary hot breakfast bar. We were not impressed with the breakfast at all and would suggest to either go for breakfast outside of the hotel at a different restaurant, or if you are planning to board a cruise ship, please save your money and wait until you get on board the ship to eat some lunch.

All in all, I would totally recommend this hotel to anyone looking to stay overnight pre or post cruise in Fort Lauderdale.

If you'd like to see pictures of the hotel, or would like to check out my online vacation journal from this trip, please feel free to go to my blog - I'm updating it daily with new pics and journal entries from this past Caribbean cruise that I went on! :) http://poolieandloolie.blogspot.com

**What types of restaurants & shopping centers are nearby? How close are they??

There is a plaza with a K-mart, Big Lots, Taco Bell, McDonalds, Burger King, Chipotle (where we went for lunch!), and a whole bunch more.... it is about a 10 minute walk away, you do have to cross a busier road but there are cross walks and it is a pretty big intersection.

I wouldn't choose this hotel for the reason of being close to shopping though...but if you do need to walk to shopping areas, you are able to. I enjoyed staying at this hotel because it did have the complimentary shuttle pick-up from the airport and drop-off at the pier. The price was pretty good, they had a nice pool, the rooms were suites that were quite large and the hotel had all the amenities I could want.

And to the person asking before, I paid $156 US for a room on January 20th - a Friday night, so it would have been a busier time for them I'm sure with all of the tourists headed south, plus I think many people who stayed at the hotel were cruisers!

RoyalCruz,

Sorry I forgot to say which Courtyard. It is the one at 440 Seabreeze Blvd. It is called Courtyard Fort Lauderdale Beach on tripadvisor.

Again thank you for your time. It is good to get help from a local.:)

There is a very good waterfront restaurant across the street from the Courtyard on Seabreeze, called Coconuts. There are a few places to buy wine...there are a couple of small liquor stores on Las Olas Blvd 2 blocks from the hotel. CVS at Beach Place sells wine too, about 6 blocks north on A1A.

royalcruz,

A waterfront restaurant sounds perfect arriving from the frigid North .

Love the name Coconuts. It brings back memories of Coconuts in Zihuatenejo, Mexico.

Thanks again for your local advice. Now I just have to do a count down until my cruise in Dec 2012.

• 2 weeks later...

Any one ever stay at the Bahia Mar? We have stayed at the Hyatt Place North before and that was nice but we are looking at something else this time. We arrive July 13th and depart on the 14th for our cruise. We wanted Embassy Suites but everythig is sold out for 2 double beds and non smoking. It will be DW, DS and DD and myself

Thanks

• 5 months later...

I just won Hyatt Place Convention Center on Priceline for $65 (never done bidding before). Will we have a free airport and/ or port shuttle? We are staying 9/7/12.

Has anyone got some info on this hotel (nearby shopping, food etc.)

Thanks.

Archived