50% Off Shore Excursions... Need Assistance, Please

Angiet2

So Azamara has finally posted its shorex for this upcoming South America season. The exact same excursion in Punta Del Este is priced at $154 pp on December 28 and $220 pp on January 11. I cannot understand this...one would think that Azamara would establish a standard price with the tour operator. (If for no other reason than people like me who like to look at what is available on other cruises) I was all ready to sign up for the Punta Del Este excursion when I saw it on the other cruise yesterday, but when my cruise shorex came out this morning and I saw the price, I recoiled. I'd love to do the excursion but what extra do I get for my $70 than the folks on the cruise before me?

So Azamara has finally posted its shorex for this upcoming South America season. The exact same excursion in Punta Del Este is priced at $154 pp on December 28 and $220 pp on January 11. I cannot understand this...one would think that Azamara would establish a standard price with the tour operator. (If for no other reason than people like me who like to look at what is available on other cruises) I was all ready to sign up for the Punta Del Este excursion when I saw it on the other cruise yesterday, but when my cruise shorex came out this morning and I saw the price, I recoiled. I'd love to do the excursion but what extra do I get for my $70 than the folks on the cruise before me?

I think that it would be interesting to know who is getting the additional $70: is it the Tour Operator, Azamara, or is it being split? Perhaps Bill could comment on that.

Bill, why don't you just find out the 50% pricing for the Rio excursions on Quest's December 2 sailing and post them here? That seems to be the sole remaining bone of contention now that November 15 and 28 appear to have been straightened out.

Many of us really need to know whether we need to book tours on our own in Rio. The prices on the Azamara web site still show what appears--I hope--to be 100% prices.

Hello Marinaro44 -

I've learned that the correct 50% pricing levels for the tours offered in Rio De Janeiro during the Quest's December 2nd voyage will be corrected and should be active on the system at sometime tonight (Aug 9) at midnight (EDT).

Hopefully, you'll be now in a position to make an informed decision about the most-likely option to experience Rio in the manner which meets your needs.

Again, thanks for your patience while the programming error was repaired.

Best regards,

Bill Leiber

Chief Blogging Officer*

Azamara Club Cruises

(*CBO is an authorized and compensated representative of ACC)

Hello Mare S. and Ed -

Thanks for pointing out the pricing discrepancy on Tour # PE25/Punta del Este & BBQ. It's offered on the Azamara Quest's December 27, 2012 voyage @ $154.50 per person and then again on the Azamara Quest's January 5, 2013 voyage @ $220 per person. Why the difference?

I will let you know if this "difference" is correct and if it is, then the reason for it as soon as I learn it from the shore excursion management team.

Please stay tuned and I appreciate your drawing on your "patience reserve" during the confusion created, it seems, by a programming error.

Best regards,

Bill Leiber

Chief Blogging Officer*

Azamara Club Cruises

Bill...you are terrific! I knew you'd respond right away. We may not always like what you have to tell us, but I want you to know that your patience and concern are greatly appreciated. Azamara sure got it right when they appointed you Chief Blogging Officer.

Hello Everyone & thank you Bill,

This morning I have been on My Azamara & booked the trip with Airport drop off at HALF PRICE £245 for 2 people.

It seems that is was not a rip off but a cock up all this time.

I now apologise to Azamara for saying that it was a rip off but it sure took a long time & lots of hassle to get it sorted.

All is well that ends well & I will now start considering the other Ports of call.

There is still a slight fault on the site, I booked at £245 for 2 but on the last page reservation confirmation it gave the equivalent price has $779 dollars.

Eric

Trying to be helpful here.

When checking the Azamara website for Shore Excursions put in your booking id number and the date of sailing. The appropriate excursions for your particular cruise will be listed. You will be asked to check all guests in the reservation or single guests to determine the number of tickets you wish to purchase. Go through the dates and ports. A full description and price will be shown for the excursion. When you are ready to purchase, click the link that allows you to do this. When you are ready to 'check out' the 50% price will be reflected. You will then be asked if you wish to continue 'shopping' or check out. If you continue purchasing additional shore excursions the same will hold true for each one that you are interested in. You will receive a prompt advising you what your total purchase price is. If you agree, click on the button and the message across the screen will reflect that your purchases are being processed. You will then receive e-mail confirming the purchase(s).

Good luck. I wonder why some are able to purchase at 50% off yet there are others online here who seem to be having difficulty.

If you don't have any success with this I would suggest you contact Azamara Shore Excursions and book with them to ensure you obtain the excursions you want.

All the best. Hope this was helpful.

Your information was helpful and I now have my excursions booked for our Sept. 1 cruise. :) The only problem that I encountered was the LV83 did not show up so I booked the all day Florence/Pisa excursion, which I did not really want to do. I called Azamara this morning was told that excursion was available (I figured it was already full) so I was able to cancel LV81 and replace it. I spoke with a girl named Kim and she was very helpful....probably the best customer relations person I've spoken with so far. When I spoke with her last night, I did get her extension number in case I needed to speak with her again. I have not booked anything for Sorrento at this point....I'm still not sure what we want to do there.

Your information was helpful and I now have my excursions booked for our Sept. 1 cruise. :) The only problem that I encountered was the LV83 did not show up so I booked the all day Florence/Pisa excursion, which I did not really want to do. I called Azamara this morning was told that excursion was available (I figured it was already full) so I was able to cancel LV81 and replace it. I spoke with a girl named Kim and she was very helpful....probably the best customer relations person I've spoken with so far. When I spoke with her last night, I did get her extension number in case I needed to speak with her again. I have not booked anything for Sorrento at this point....I'm still not sure what we want to do there.

One option out of Sorrento is to do Pompeii on your own. It's a very easy train ride from Sorrento on the Circumvesuvio Railway, and a map and decent guide book ( Rick Steeve's is a good one although he sometimes gets left and right confused) will get the job done in fine fashion. Herculaneum is also an option via the same train.

Hope that's of some help.

Glad you were able to get the excursion that you wanted. Great to hear that you had the assistance of someone shore side who was able to follow through on your request. As you pointed out, should you require any further information you have the phone number to contact her again.

Good luck and perhaps you'll post your updates online for others to read.

One option out of Sorrento is to do Pompeii on your own. It's a very easy train ride from Sorrento on the Circumvesuvio Railway, and a map and decent guide book ( Rick Steeve's is a good one although he sometimes gets left and right confused) will get the job done in fine fashion. Herculaneum is also an option via the same train.

Hope that's of some help.

I didn't book anything for Monte Carlo or St. Tropez either. I figured we could just walk around. I'm not sure if we care to venture out on our own while we tender in Sorrento. I believe I have until the 27th to book any additional excursions. I do have Rick Steves' Italy and Fodor's European ports of call.

@ Welland,

By updates, do you mean post reviews of our excursions?

@ Welland,

First of all I note that this is your first cruise. You will have a fabulous time onboard. As I'm sure you have read from other posting here, I don't believe that you will find better crew members than you do onboard both the Journey and the Quest. I believe you will be hooked to cruising after this cruise. We love Azamara.

As far as updates...what I was suggesting was if you ended up booking any more shore excursions to advise if you were able to do so at the 50% off. Of course, many, including myself, would be interested in reading your review of your cruise experience once you return.

Again, happy cruising. And, if you are celebrating an occasion all the very best.

@ Welland,

First of all I note that this is your first cruise. You will have a fabulous time onboard. As I'm sure you have read from other posting here, I don't believe that you will find better crew members than you do onboard both the Journey and the Quest. I believe you will be hooked to cruising after this cruise. We love Azamara.

As far as updates...what I was suggesting was if you ended up booking any more shore excursions to advise if you were able to do so at the 50% off. Of course, many, including myself, would be interested in reading your review of your cruise experience once you return.

Again, happy cruising. And, if you are celebrating an occasion all the very best.

Yes...if I book anymore, I will post about the 50%. Even the one I changed out today was at the 50% cost. I thought some were a little expensive but then I thought back to last year on Turks & Caicos...their excursions were the most expensive of any island we've visited...way over priced in our estimation. :eek:

I'm sure we'll love the cruise....and yes...almost every day is an occasion ;) but we do have an anniversary coming up.

I'm sure we'll love the cruise....and yes...almost every day is an occasion ;) but we do have an anniversary coming up.

If you or your travel agent have not already informed Azamara of your anniversary that you are celebrating, be sure to let them know. :-)

Again happy cruising and happy (whatever number) anniversary.

If you or your travel agent have not already informed Azamara of your anniversary that you are celebrating, be sure to let them know. :-)

Again happy cruising and happy (whatever number) anniversary.

We are not sailing on our actual anniversary but it's an anniversary cruise. How do I let Azamara know? As far as my travel agent, I'm finding a new one...he told me my registration was complete and it was not and he didn't bother to tell me to order my luggage tags :eek:...thank goodness for people I know that cruise. He has made a few other blunders on trips and the resort we stayed at last year for our vowel renewal didn't know it and he was supposed to let them know. :mad: I never would have ordered them had I not known.

#46 coming up. :D :D Thank you.

We are not sailing on our actual anniversary but it's an anniversary cruise. How do I let Azamara know? As far as my travel agent, I'm finding a new one...he told me my registration was complete and it was not and he didn't bother to tell me to order my luggage tags :eek:...thank goodness for people I know that cruise. He has made a few other blunders on trips and the resort we stayed at last year for our vowel renewal didn't know it and he was supposed to let them know. :mad: I never would have ordered them had I not known.

#46 coming up. :D :D Thank you.

Doesn't matter that it's not your actual anniversary date while you are onboard. Congratulations on your 46th!

I would assume that your booking is still with the travel agent, even though you are looking for a new one. If in fact you've withdrawn everything from him then just go ahead and contact Azamara directly. Give them your booking number etc. and ask them to make note that you are taking your first cruise ever to celebrate your 46th wedding anniversary.

Doesn't matter that it's not your actual anniversary date while you are onboard. Congratulations on your 46th!

I would assume that your booking is still with the travel agent, even though you are looking for a new one. If in fact you've withdrawn everything from him then just go ahead and contact Azamara directly. Give them your booking number etc. and ask them to make note that you are taking your first cruise ever to celebrate your 46th wedding anniversary.

Thank you. I did call Azamara and we will be celebrating in Sicily...perfect...my husband is Sicilian so this is the perfect place to do it. :) :)

not to beat a dead horse, but....Azamara has taken down the shore excursions for our cruise...maybe to fix the prices??? I had focused on the one tour in Punta Del Este I was really interested in, but when I started to look at other excursions, I found that the prices on all were all 40-50% higher for exactly the same excursion than on the cruise right before ours. I'm really hoping that these were all programming/input errors (the shorex brochure also mentioned how we'd find Europe excursions so wonderful....except this cruise is in South America LOL) I love Azamara but these mistakes are really not in keeping with the quality of the cruises.

We did private tours in Punta del Este this past Jan/Feb that you can get right on the pier with a van holding 6 to 8 people. Very reasonable. There is also on on/off bus that some of the passengers used.

Also, the sea lions are right in the harbor where the fishermen feed them. You can get up close for pictures!

Hi Mare,

Please email me at annesny@comcast.net with your itinerary. Not sure what ports you are visiting. We found the tours in S. America much more expensive at the 50% discount than Europe! We did our own in S.A.

Just make sure you use Azamara in the subject line so I won't delete you!

Check out Ports of Calls also. I did post a terrific guide there for Ilhabela who spoke perfect English. We noticed that not many guides speak English!!

I also have a great one for Rio.

Anne

not to beat a dead horse, but....Azamara has taken down the shore excursions for our cruise...maybe to fix the prices??? I had focused on the one tour in Punta Del Este I was really interested in, but when I started to look at other excursions, I found that the prices on all were all 40-50% higher for exactly the same excursion than on the cruise right before ours. I'm really hoping that these were all programming/input errors (the shorex brochure also mentioned how we'd find Europe excursions so wonderful....except this cruise is in South America LOL) I love Azamara but these mistakes are really not in keeping with the quality of the cruises.

Hello Mare S and other readers -

Please excuse this difficulty with our loading the 2013 first-quarter Land Discoveries into our system. I've learned from our shore excursion management that the pricing component is still a "work in progress" with our local tour operators and is the reason for the information no longer being available on the system. The expected date to be able to book online is September 5th.

At this point in time, the only 2013 online shore excursion available for booking is in conjunction with purchasing the tickets to experience the Carnival in Rio Parade on February 10, 2013. This event occurs on the Azamara Quest's, January 31 - February 12, 2013, 12-night voyage, Buenos Aires - Rio de Janeiro.

For those of you who are booked or are considering this voyage, the Carnival in Rio Parade tickets are offered in a Box Seat or Grandstand Seat:

§ RJ53/ Rio's Carnival Parade - Box Seat: 7:30 pm, 6 hr(s) 30 min(s), @ $1,299.00 each

§ RJ54/ Rio's Carnival Parade - Grandstand Seat: 7:30 pm, 6 hr(s) 30 min(s), @ $499.00 each

(Note - The Land Discoveries 50% Savings program excludes tours that include a flight and/or hotel, special ticketed events such as the Monaco Grand Prix, Rio Carnival, concerts & other ticketed performances and private arrangements.)

I realize that this thread concerns the pricing level of our shore excursions; however, at this time I'm unable to comment on whether our 2013 pricing will be higher and if so, by how much. Also, I've passed on your observation that our programmers should be more diligent in proofreading shore excursion copy.

I will share more information about our 2013 plans as it becomes available and appreciate your patience.

Best regards,

Bill Leiber

Chief Blogging Officer*

Azamara Club Cruises

Bill, thank you for the update on the 2013 South America shore excursions. Too bad they were posted before prices were finalized. It makes for confusion and aggravation (and a lot of unhappiness about pricing!)

I do hope that, in re-setting the prices, consideration is given to the fact that, really, the South America "season" should be considered as a whole...from arrival of the Quest in mid December until it leaves in early February. To have major differences (and I'm talking the 40-50% difference I was seeing) in prices from one cruise to the next seems like gouging.

Looking forward with great anticipation to September 5!

mare

Interestingly we had this price difference on our cruises in December2011 and January 2012, it was explained as being due to the terms of business negotiated with the South American operators. Although we thought this was a pain, it actually did not affect us as we were on a back to back cruise and we were planning to do excursions on one visit and a bit of DIY trips on another. We just used the first leg for ship based shorexs and DIY trips on the second leg

I can understand a bit of a price increase from one year to the next but a 50% increase from one week to the next is ridiculous. I guess some people who don't have access to the information and who don't realize that there are differences in prices, will go ahead and book at the inflated prices, but we certainly won't. We've already booked two independent tours and will book others or just be DIY's. There's always lots to do and see on our own, but a couple of the Azamara tours in South America looked like fun and we found the shorex we participated in on our first Azamara cruise were well organized and we really enjoyed them.

I can understand a bit of a price increase from one year to the next but a 50% increase from one week to the next is ridiculous. I guess some people who don't have access to the information and who don't realize that there are differences in prices, will go ahead and book at the inflated prices, but we certainly won't. We've already booked two independent tours and will book others or just be DIY's. There's always lots to do and see on our own, but a couple of the Azamara tours in South America looked like fun and we found the shorex we participated in on our first Azamara cruise were well organized and we really enjoyed them.

The differences on our trips were quite significant as well, not as high as 50% but certainly around 30%. We also had issues with private operators contacting us asking to increase their prices citing the rampant inflation in S America and the fact that the dollar exchange rate had moved and the dollars were in their eyes worth less now. (Not entirely an argument we accepted)

Anyway we realised the terms of the traders meant they were trying it on, and as this gave us a bad feel we cancelled both trips. On our second trip to Punta del Este we had such a lovely day with no excursion and just happily wandered around and sat on a beach for a few hours with the locals (ie not on the main beach, it was lovely)

Archived