Rotterdam to Amsterdam Tranfer Timing?

SilvertoGold

Looking at a cruise that disembarks in Rotterdam on May 19 (a Saturday). Best air I can find has a departure at 1:30pm from the Amsterdam airport. Scared silly about missing the flight!

Would hugely appreciate advice:

1. What is disembarkation like in Rotterdam? Fast, long and slow?

Schedule says 7 am arrival. Is this likely? Or is this a problematic

port (fog, hold-ups, immigration gone wild)?

2. Is the HAL transfer from ship to airport the way to go? How long does it

take?

3. Would anyone recommend any alternatives to getting to Amsterdam

airport fast?

4. Is this flight just too early?

Many thanks for all responses!

You flight is way earlier. But check with HAL about transfer and earliest flight time out of. If they okay it, use their transfers. If you take a taxi to the train station, get ticket 30 minutes, if not busy, then about 50 minutes train ride to the airport station. Another 1 hour thru airport and check in. Security is long here, to Canada and U S several checks. It usually takes me two more hours to get to get and final security check in. Suggest you stay over, near the airport and get the flight out in the morning. Note traffic between the airport and Rotterdam can be very slow, so private transfers are hard to time.

1.30 is pushing it.

7am arrival means that's when the ship ties up at the pier - not when everyone is off the ship. Expect to disembark as late as 10am.

Rotterdam is about an hour from Schiphol - Could be more if the weather is bad or there's an accident.

Why not take an evening flight and hire a private driver to take you to Kinderdyk to see the windmills and a lunch?

Thanks for the info! Too early, as I thought.

Later-in-evening flights are pricing at double the 1:30pm one, so, maybe just stay over.

Which leads to recommendations for a nice hotel, moderately priced in Amsterdam, convenient airport transportation and to something to see in the city??

Thanks for any ideas!

I have to disagree. We docked at 7:00 and were off the ship (self disembarkation) by 7:15, we had a prearranged taxi and I think we were at the airport before 8:30. We had a 2:00 flight and were so early we could not even check-in until 11:00. The only time consuming part was the security line which was the longest I have ever seen in my life (it took 30 minutes).

Disembarked from m.s. ROTTERDAM in Rotterdam last summer. Nothiing untoward. The River Maas does not close down because of fog. They do get fog but the traffic does not stop.

I was not in a hurry to heave the ship but was off by 0900. Took a taxi from the pier over to Hotel De Rotterdam.... the old s.s. ROTTERDAM. Made arrangements for the same drive to pick us up next morning at 1000 in order to be at Schipholl for a Delta flight at 1.25. The drive was just about an hour cost...about 100 euros. Agreed price when arranged the taxi. OK it costs more than the fast train from Rotterdam but with baggage etc why go for the hassle and I'm told there are no trolleys for the train.

Checkin was reasonaably fast but security does take a bit of time... not at the initial checkin but later when you are about to board the aircraft. There is a full security screening immediately at the aircraft boarding. Do not arrive late!

So, if you want to do it on a same day departure, no problem and simply use HAL transfer. Stay in Rotterdam... great city... enjoy some sightseeing and fly next day. No point in heading to Amsterdam to spend the day there unless there is something special you want to see.

In October I was in Amsterdam for a day in the QUEEN ELIZABETH. I was off at 8am and by 9.30 I was enjoying coffee on board the old s.s. ROTTERDAM in Rotterdam. Spent the day with friends and managed to get back to the ELIZABETH by 4pm. Min you I was sorely tempted to stay in Rotterdam overnight then travel to Zeebrugge and rejoin ELIZABETH next day!!!

The important thing is don't sweat it. You won't miss your 1.30 flight however you decide to do it.

Stephen

In your case you can take an airporthotel in Amsterdam. Put your luggage there and take one of the frequent trains to Centraal Station. Just 17 minutes away from the airport.

Across CS you can make a nice canalboattride for an hour. Maybe walk to An Frankhuis before or after that. (Make reservations online to skip the sometimes long lines). Walk to Dam square, have a drink on a terrace.

Or take a tram to Rijksmusem (rembrandt) and/or Van Goghmuseum.

Have a meal downtown and back to your hotel near the airport.

What great info. Really appreciate it.

Any suggestions about an airport hotel?

Given the choice, would you spend 2 days in Amsterdam or Rotterdam? We like to walk a lot, so wondering which city would be the best.

Thanks again!

You can easily fill 2 days in Amsterdam, very walkable city.very walkabNot only in the city but also to places like Zaanse Schans (windmills, cheese) or the charming city of Delft.

Public transport is easy to do and very frequent.

Re airport hotels, a wide choice depending what you want to spend. Right on the airport is a Sheraton, with shuttles Hilton, Radisson Blue, Van der Valk to name just a few.

Check the website of the Amsterdam tourist board with plenty of information:http://www.iamsterdam.com/en/visiting

Re airport hotels:

http://www.schiphol.nl/Travellers/TravelAgencySchiphol.nl/HotelsAtSchiphol.htm

You can easily fill 2 days in Amsterdam, very walkable city.very walkabNot only in the city but also to places like Zaanse Schans (windmills, cheese) or the charming city of Delft.

.htm

Just don't try walking to Delft from Amsterdam.;)

Why not hire a car for a day. So much to see and do.

Given the choice, would you spend 2 days in Amsterdam or Rotterdam?
Rotterdam was heavily bombed in WWII, so most of the buildings are post-war. Amsterdam has the 'old world' charm. We've spent time in both cities and have enjoyed each, but my vote would be for Amsterdam.

Archived