Travel advisory to mexico

Corinne Marie

Those travelwarnings are far too general and only upset people. The same unfortunately for some reports on TV.

Most people donot realise Mexico is a large country and still has safe areas.

If something happens in L.A. it doesnot mean S. Francisco is also dangerous while it is the same state.

Unfortunately crime happens worldwide, while in Mexico it mostly concentrates between drugsgangs and not against tourists. I just read about a shooting in Florida, people still travel there.

This winter we are again living in P. Vallarta - like before - for 4-5 months and enjoying every moment of it. With us thousands of canadians, americans and europeans do. Many of them also for a longer time.

We drive around, shop, eat, go the beach, go into the mountains etc without any problem. I rather walk the streets of P. vallarta at night then those e.g. in Amsterdam.

We go to Hawaii instead of Mexico, Maui to be exact, and have been doing this for a number of years. Mexico just isn't safe like it use to be...Lived 60 miles north of the AZ-Mexico border and use to go down to Nogales for a fun day in the 80's and 90's. You would not dare do that today as an American...way too dangerous.

I disagree, Nogales is a safe destination, but you have to avoid being stupid, like traveling at night or off the main streets. Just like visiting Detroit, New York, or Chicago.

We were in P.V. for two days on our Jan 7-14, 2012 cruise. We had an overnight stay and many folks went ashore in the evening. No one that I spoke to aboard ship reported any problems nor did they feel at all "un-safe".

Since we had a cabin with a large balcony, we decided to relax in the sun on it instead of doing a beach tour in P.V. We spent the money instead on a week long pass to the Hyrdo pool and Thermal Spa - worked out better. Plus, on the port days , very few people we using these and it was like having your own private pool.

DaveOKC

The choice for us often ends up as being where do we go for a quick week in the sun....Mexico, Dominican Republic, Panama, or Cuba. We have lots of choice. Mexico is falling off our list more often than not.

Don't you like Costa Rica or Nicauagra?

I disagree, Nogales is a safe destination, but you have to avoid being stupid, like traveling at night or off the main streets. Just like visiting Detroit, New York, or Chicago.

The U.S. has an advisory out about it, though.

I used to walk through that small gate into Nogales, Sonora to the barbershop and get a haircut for a buck.

Guess those days are gone.:(

Yesterday I received my Cruise Industry News and it specifically stated that Puerto Vallarta was not on the Travel Advisory.

Here is the link and the Story: http://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/6786-puerto-vallarta-not-included-in-mexico-travel-warning.html

Puerto Vallarta Not Included in Mexico Travel Warning printButton.png Thursday, 09 February 2012

The February 8 update to the U.S. Department’s Travel Warning to Mexico does not include the city of Puerto Vallarta.

The popular vacation destination Puerto Vallarta is a leading destination in Mexico and continues to offer a wide range of shore excursions and a safe experience for all international visitors., located more than 1,200 miles from the border between Mexico and the US where other drug related violence has taken place, the same distance that separates Los Angeles to Dallas, or New York to Miami.

Puerto Vallarta continues to be one of the safest destinations for international travelers. A recent security/threat assessment study conducted by Thomas Dale & Associates (TDA), a leading global investigative and security firm, found that the number of negative events involving foreigners or non-foreigners is fractional compared to the large ex-pat resident population and the millions of visitors that come to vacation each year in Puerto Vallarta. The study also found that visitors to the destination feel safe and continue to visit Puerto Vallarta numerous times throughout their lifetime.

Though for myself, I do not get off the ship there. Many others do and say they feel no fear.

Joanie

Thanks Joanie for posting this update, we were just there and have travel to PV for many years. We couldn't feel safer. I really hate that these towns are getting such a bad wrap. Certainly there are plenty of place in Mexico I would not go but PV is not one of them.

It is unfortunate that people get the impression that it is all of Mexico. We spent over 4 weeks at different times in 2011 in the resort towns. We never felt uneasy and had a wonderful time. We walked around and went on tours, just used caution as I would in Florida, Toronto, NYC....

Go to Mexico and enjoy!! :)

What scares many people, I think, is that the area keeps enlarging. It started in a localized section and has grown drastically. Where will it spread next and will it be while "I" am there? When so much of the country is called dangerous by U.S. State Department, many people are not going to designate one small section as okay. They cross off the whole place.

The bulk of the areas with the advisory are not in the touristy areas (there are some exceptions like the Copper Canyon area).

I have a relative who lives in El Paso and in the past often go over the border to enjoy the Mexican side for dining and visiting friends. But it's gotten so bad that he won't go over at all.

Since I've only visit areas that mainly cruiseship visitors go, you see a police presence around. I've never had any problems in these areas (Cozumel, Costa Maya).

A friend and I took the local bus from Progresso to Merida. We also walked around the tourist areas and the local market. We never felt any problems and the people were polite.

It's sad that a small percentage of people (drug lords and their minions) cause such problems and paint their country in a bad way.

You have to take account of the area that you are visiting. I know some people state they are fearful. There are areas of my hometown Memphis that I won't visit, even in the daytime. But this would not make me discourage people from visiting.

The good and bad is often lump together with often the bad outshining the good.

Following the link that was given by IRL_Joanie -- The only mention of Puerto Vallarta

"Jalisco Guadalajara and Puerto Vallarta are the major cities/travel destinations in Jalisco -see map (PDF, 286 kb) to identify their exact locations: You should defer non-essential travel to areas of the state that border the states of Michoacán and Zacatecas. You should also exercise caution when traveling at night outside of cities in the remaining portions of this state. The security situation along the Michoacán and Zacatecas borders continues to be unstable and gun battles between criminal groups and authorities occur. Concerns include roadblocks placed by individuals posing as police or military personnel and recent gun battles between rival TCOs involving automatic weapons"

We are just back from a week in PV and at no time ever felt like it was not safe. We walked everywhere....and even drove a rental car for two days to Salulita and San Sabastion. We loved our vacation there and plan to go back next year. To be honest with you, we felt more in danger the last time we visited Maui. Everywhere we went there was broken glass in the parking lots from thiefs breaking car windows! And we had a backpack stolen from our car.

Have noticed that Mazatlan is on the stops for next year.

Mazatlan was on the itinerary for this year, until December when HAL changed it to 2 days in PV instead. HAL has no problem changing itineraries. It has been suggested by some that the change was financial but justified by the "violence".

Port fees increased substantially in Mazatlan reportedly.

Mazatlan was on the itinerary for this year, until December when HAL changed it to 2 days in PV instead. HAL has no problem changing itineraries. It has been suggested by some that the change was financial but justified by the "violence".

Port fees increased substantially in Mazatlan reportedly.

This is actually quite true, Mazatlan was building this new port area and was reported that the Port Fees to the cruise line was going up substantially. The problem is Mazataln was not a big money maker port in regards to shore excursions. Too many outside vendors or people just grabbed a plumeria to town. They made the least amount of money in Mazatlan compared to Cabo and PV So was it really the violence or just a good excuse to drop the port all together ;)

Mexico is twice the size of Western Europe.

The entire Yucatan penisula is designated "green" as in ok to go.

I just came back from a week in Tulum. Two middle aged people, rented a car and drove there ourselves. Best place I have visited in years! Prices would be through the roof if more americans traveled there. Lots of Europeans, even with their kids. I have also taken buses from the Cancun airport to Playa del Carmen and the ferry to Cozumel, both ways. By myself.

I am not some rustic lonely planet person. But I do like to vacation frequently and Cancun is a short easy flight from NY and the gateway to the Yucatan and Quintana Roo. The culture, the food the people the beaches, the reasonable prices, the diving, the cenotes....

I really almost don't like giving away this information.

A recent survey listed Mazatlan as the second most dangerous city in Mexico behind Ciudad Juarez which was designated as more dangerous than Afghanistan. Friends, I lived in Mexico for four years and have wonderful memories of a friendly and extremely safe country. I have lots a contacts who tell me about the violence that has taken over. Tourists being pilled out of Taxis and being beaten and robbed, being caught in a crossfire, kidnapped are all real. No one loved the country more than I but I won't return until things settle down and they probably will as they did in Colombia. There are other places in the world to visit and I will look elsewhere. The State Department website was rife with statistics and storied of this. Are you going to stick your finger in a light socket to see if you get shocked? You have a 50/50 chance. I don't tempt fate.

A recent survey listed Mazatlan as the second most dangerous city in Mexico behind Ciudad Juarez which was designated as more dangerous than Afghanistan. Friends, I lived in Mexico for four years and have wonderful memories of a friendly and extremely safe country. I have lots a contacts who tell me about the violence that has taken over. Tourists being pilled out of Taxis and being beaten and robbed, being caught in a crossfire, kidnapped are all real. No one loved the country more than I but I won't return until things settle down and they probably will as they did in Colombia. There are other places in the world to visit and I will look elsewhere. The State Department website was rife with statistics and storied of this. Are you going to stick your finger in a light socket to see if you get shocked? You have a 50/50 chance. I don't tempt fate.

I think most people know the dangers of Ciudad Juarez and more bordertowns, but that is where cruiseships (and most tourists) donot go. What you describe about crime in Mexico is a general impression, which might confuse people. Again crime is a worldwide problem, in Mexico mostly drugsrelated and certainly not in all areas and mostly not against tourists. In P. Vallarta people (locals and tourists) take taxis, ride buses, shop, go out to diner without absolutely any problem.

Therefore those warnings should be read with full attention so people know where it can be dangerous or where not.

I know places in Europe and the USA that are more dangerous to tourists then some cities or regions in Mexico.

We will be cruising to Puerto Vallarta in July and I have no qualms about getting off the ship and staying the day in town. The advisory is poorly worded but what it boils down to is don't visit any areas that border the States if Michoacan and/or Zacatecas. Puerto Vallarta is nowhere near those borders.

Mazatlan is a beach resort and was a busy cruise port. It is the second most dangerous city as stated. I never mentioned Puerto Vallarta but it is in Jalisco and crime in that state is rising rapidly. No one hates to see this happening in Mexico more that I and I can wait until conditions improve. I wish all visitors to Mexico a safe visit as it is a wonderful country.

Mazatlan is a beach resort and was a busy cruise port. It is the second most dangerous city as stated.

We were there in 2003 on the Star Princess. We decided to walk to the Cathedral (it was Ash Wednesday). That is the only time on a cruise I've ever felt like we were in danger. People came out on their balconies in their apartment buildings to watch us and shouted at us. There were six of us, so I'm sure we weren't in much danger, but it felt like it. We took a taxi back. And that was almost ten years ago! It really is a shame. It was a lovely cathedral, there were nice beaches, and the little shopping areas. I'm sure the economy is suffering so much.

Robin

• 2 weeks later...

Archived