Miami hotel...overwhelmed!!

kelkel2

I guess because there are so many to choose from, I feel so overwhelmed choosing.

Basically we don't want to spend more than $150 for the night for a hotel, we would like a free breakfast, would be happy with muffins, coffee, bagels, stuff like that. We would also like a free shuttle to the port (if it exists).

Does anyone have any recommendations?

I guess because there are so many to choose from, I feel so overwhelmed choosing.

Basically we don't want to spend more than $150 for the night for a hotel, we would like a free breakfast, would be happy with muffins, coffee, bagels, stuff like that. We would also like a free shuttle to the port (if it exists).

Does anyone have any recommendations?

Forget about the free shuttle. Most people don't end up using them because of the hassle and end up taking a cab.

I think a South Beach hotel is a great idea but your time frame is peak season but you have a year to look.

Since it is your honeymoon, don't stay at the airport or downtown. Treat yourself.

Only a few of the budget motels near MIA offer free port shuttles - does not sound like what you are looking from. I agree with Blue Herons on forgetting about shuttles and using a taxi. :cool:

If you are flying in late and just want dinner and a clean room look at hotels near MIA in the Blue Lagoon neighborhood (Sofitel, Hampton Inn, Homewood Suites, and others). All offer free airport shuttles and shopping and dining options within walking distance. Cab to the port the next mornign for about $26+tip.

Many choose to stay in downtown Miami close to POM - look at the Hyatt, IC, Marriott and Doubletree. Taxi from MIA will run about $25+tip and another $10-12 cab gets you to POM the next morning.

Good luck! :)

We're not cruising until October, but I just booked the Holiday Inn on Last Minute Travel for $104. Its right across from the Bayside marketplace...

I was thinking about the Holiday Inn. I really just don't want to spend a fortune on a hotel for one night. I love the IC but way more than I would like to spend. Does the Holiday Inn offer a shuttle? The last few cruises we have done we were able to just sign up for one at the hotel, although it wasn't free. I'm ok with not free. But we really want something with a quick breakfast option.

I felt the same way! I ended up striking a deal with Cpt Kirk because I was so tired of looking and trying to figure out what was best.

We usually drive to port but since Miami is about 12 hrs away and parking cost is so expensive at the port we decided to fly.

We are staying in the Marriott Biscayne Bay for $130 + tax which came to $156 total. It is only 2 miles to the port (we will taxi there) with a free shuttle to South Beach and it's only about a block from the metro mover.

I was thinking about the Holiday Inn. I really just don't want to spend a fortune on a hotel for one night. I love the IC but way more than I would like to spend. Does the Holiday Inn offer a shuttle? The last few cruises we have done we were able to just sign up for one at the hotel, although it wasn't free. I'm ok with not free. But we really want something with a quick breakfast option.

The Holiday inn POM is an overpriced dump. They do not have a shuttle. If you must stay there a cab will be $7-$10 to get to the ship.

There are lots of nicer hotels in the area. You'll just have to spring for breakfast.

The Holiday inn POM is an overpriced dump. They do not have a shuttle. If you must stay there a cab will be $7-$10 to get to the ship.

There are lots of nicer hotels in the area. You'll just have to spring for breakfast.

it was just refurbed at the the end of 2011..August/September I think? Recent reviews are favorable. I made a point to notice how close it was to the cruiseport when we were there in September..

I personally just want a clean room to rest my head for 12 hours...I'd rather save my $$ for on board.

I was thinking about the Holiday Inn. I really just don't want to spend a fortune on a hotel for one night. Does the Holiday Inn offer a shuttle? The last few cruises we have done we were able to just sign up for one at the hotel, although it wasn't free. I'm ok with not free. But we really want something with a quick breakfast option.

None of the downtown hotels near POM offer a free shuttle - either to POM or from the airport. A taxi to POM from any downtown hotel will cost about $10+tip -why would you bother with messing around with a shuttle when cabs are that cheap? :confused:

You can do better than the HI - check the Hyatt, Marriott and Doubletree. :cool: Book something now that you can live with and cancel without penalty and then keep shopping for deals as your date gets closer. Good luck! :)

it was just refurbed at the the end of 2011..August/September I think? Recent reviews are favorable. I made a point to notice how close it was to the cruiseport when we were there in September..

I personally just want a clean room to rest my head for 12 hours...I'd rather save my $$ for on board.

For your date (10/5 I believe) the downtown Hilton is $109 on LMT and is a much nicer hotel.

We're not cruising until October, but I just booked the Holiday Inn on Last Minute Travel for $104. Its right across from the Bayside marketplace...

Your dates are off season and the OP is going peak season. The Holiday Inn, if it is even available on LMT, will be double what you paid.

To the OP, skip the HIPOM, it's still an overpriced motel. The only thing it's got is location and that's even not a plus for many.

Miami is a really cool town. Make it a part of your honeymoon. You'll be glad you did.

None of the downtown hotels near POM offer a free shuttle - either to POM or from the airport. A taxi to POM from any downtown hotel will cost about $10+tip -why would you bother with messing around with a shuttle when cabs are that cheap? :confused:

You can do better than the HI - check the Hyatt, Marriott and Doubletree. :cool: Book something now that you can live with and cancel without penalty and then keep shopping for deals as your date gets closer. Good luck! :)

Given that cabs are that cheap we probably won't use a shuttle. Just assumed it would cost more. I may just do priceline you name the price and see what comes up. This cruise is actually not for our honeymoon. It's for our 3rd anniversary, but just as special to us! We cherish every vacation because you never know when you'll get your next.

Given that cabs are that cheap we probably won't use a shuttle. Just assumed it would cost more. I may just do priceline you name the price and see what comes up. This cruise is actually not for our honeymoon. It's for our 3rd anniversary, but just as special to us! We cherish every vacation because you never know when you'll get your next.

You've got plenty of time to research..and enjoy your cruise..We're celebrating 25 yrs in October.. 3 months AFTER our real anniversary...

If you want to 'see what falls' I think it's great...there are plenty of good hotels in the area to choose from..it's about location, price, and what you know. We travel and spend time in a lot of HI's..never had a problem yet, so don't feel the need to stray, and had others to consider when booking!! :) I'm comfortable with MY decision.. despite some of the hostility here!! :)

Happy hunting..it IS a little frustrating, but also half the fun! :)

You've got plenty of time to research..and enjoy your cruise..We're celebrating 25 yrs in October.. 3 months AFTER our real anniversary...

If you want to 'see what falls' I think it's great...there are plenty of good hotels in the area to choose from..it's about location, price, and what you know. We travel and spend time in a lot of HI's..never had a problem yet, so don't feel the need to stray, and had others to consider when booking!! :) I'm comfortable with MY decision.. despite some of the hostility here!! :)

Happy hunting..it IS a little frustrating, but also half the fun! :)

If you think I've been hostile I certainly do apologize as it really is none of my business if you are happy with the HI. I have had terrible luck at Holiday Inns and I have stayed in some of the other hotels near the POM that I have been pleased with.

Happy cruising and congrats on your 25th anniversary.

Ok, So more questions about the HI port of miami. How is the breakfast situation there? Sit down restaurant or is there a place to grab a quick coffee and muffin at the hotel?

Is there anywhere within walking distance to buy our 2 bottles of wine? I think I read hard rock was within walking distance which sounds fun but we would like to get some local food and usually try to find places that we can't get a million other places. I know we can take a taxi to dinner but given we are taking a shuttle from fll, then a taxi to POM, I'd rather just eat somewhere close :)

I'm comfortable with MY decision.. despite some of the hostility here!! :)

:)

There is no hostility here, we are just saying there are much better options for the money especially eleven months out.

This advice is coming from locals and people who spend a lot of time in Miami not just random cruisers who have spend one or two nights there.

Also, even if the OP can get the motel for her peak season dates it will be double what you paid.

Maybe you just don't like what we are saying.

We just booked the Intercontinental on LMT for $120 + tax in December! We stayed here last Dec and LOVED it! Walking distance to Bayside Marketplace. You have to taxi to POM but not expensive. No complimentary breakfast but a Starbucks in hotel was just fine. We stayed at Holiday Inn 2 years back for more money and agree that there are better options. If you have any questions about how to find Intercontinental on LMT let me know.

We just booked the Intercontinental on LMT for $120 + tax in December! We stayed here last Dec and LOVED it! Walking distance to Bayside Marketplace. You have to taxi to POM but not expensive. No complimentary breakfast but a Starbucks in hotel was just fine. We stayed at Holiday Inn 2 years back for more money and agree that there are better options. If you have any questions about how to find Intercontinental on LMT let me know.

How did you get the intercontinental sp cheap? We were looking at rates of $360!?!

Hello,

Check out Comfort Suite Miami North Airport. $ 179 including tax, free airport transfer, breakfast and free transfer to the port. I google earth and checked the area, it is not in the best neighborhood, there is Valero gas station down the street and Subway. I have called the hotel a few times and the receptionist sounds really nice and helpful. It is brand new hotel. She said if you want to explore downtown Miami or South Beach, what you can do is take the shuttle back to Miami Airport and catch a bus for $ 2.35 it will take you directly to South Beach.

The other option was I went on LMT and got Courtyard Marriott downtown for $ 128 including tax (in April), but no transfer and no breakfast. If you want free breakfast and downtown location, check out Hampton Inn. They offer free breakfast, but no transfer.

If you prefer downtown hotels and don't want to spend $ 25 to $ 30 for taxi, you can take a bus. Google Miami airport and on the site it shows you which bus to take from airport to downtown.

How did you get the intercontinental sp cheap? We were looking at rates of $360!?!

kelkel, her dates aren't peak season yet.

I think if you are diligent and keep searching as hard as you are, you'll find a fabulous deal on a great luxury hotel in Miami for your dates.

Sign up for alerts, keep checking hotwire (and it is a good gauge of priceline hotels), sign up for the Miami CVB email blasts, and start reading all the weird but good booking sites.

Don't be afraid to book because you can always cancel.

I think if you start seeing anything for $150 that is cancelable, go ahead and book. You'll know when you've found the perfect hotel!

Edited to add: Do you know anyone at all in the hotel business? Now is the perfect time to book a Friends & Family Rate. Keep asking around, ask your husband's family, etc.

I felt the same way! I ended up striking a deal with Cpt Kirk because I was so tired of looking and trying to figure out what was best.

We usually drive to port but since Miami is about 12 hrs away and parking cost is so expensive at the port we decided to fly.

We are staying in the Marriott Biscayne Bay for $130 + tax which came to $156 total. It is only 2 miles to the port (we will taxi there) with a free shuttle to South Beach and it's only about a block from the metro mover.

I'm booked precruise at the Marriott Biscayne Bay in May. Can you tell me about this free shuttle to South Beach? I'd love to go there for a bit to people watch but didn't want to go through the cost of taxis.

Just returned from our stay at Holiday Inn POM - this is a good location, room was clean and breakfast at the hotel was good, I think it was $10 per person, worth it to not have to go out and find something. Bayside Market is right across the street for dinner the night before. CVS is 2 short blocks away to the right for last items pick up. I will stay there again.

Just returned from our stay at Holiday Inn POM - this is a good location' date=' room was clean and breakfast at the hotel was good, I think it was $10 per person, worth it to not have to go out and find something. Bayside Market is right across the street for dinner the night before. CVS is 2 short blocks away to the right for last items pick up. I will stay there again.[/quote']

Thank you!! I know there will be some 'last minutes' to pick up!! $10 for breakfast isn't bad at all!

Archived