Miami hotel...overwhelmed!!

kelkel2

Ok, So more questions about the HI port of miami. How is the breakfast situation there? Sit down restaurant or is there a place to grab a quick coffee and muffin at the hotel?

Is there anywhere within walking distance to buy our 2 bottles of wine? I think I read hard rock was within walking distance which sounds fun but we would like to get some local food and usually try to find places that we can't get a million other places. I know we can take a taxi to dinner but given we are taking a shuttle from fll, then a taxi to POM, I'd rather just eat somewhere close :)

Look here:

http://www.baysidemarketplace.com

This is right across the street from the Holiday Inn and has several places to eat & shop.

Thank you!! I know there will be some 'last minutes' to pick up!! $10 for breakfast isn't bad at all!

Also across the street from CVS is Ross if you are interested. I stopped there and bought a beachbag and couple other things for my cruise.

I just booked the Intercontinental this morning for our Thanksgiving cruise on the Liberty. Went to LMT and the website showed a price of $141.00 I called the 800 # and the lady gave me the price of $120.00 add taxes and total is $139.70.

Also across the street from CVS is Ross if you are interested. I stopped there and bought a beachbag and couple other things for my cruise.

Do you remember if the cvs sold wine?

Also thank you for the link to the shopping center. It for sure sounds like its a good location :) My Carnival PVP said the Marriott Biscayne Bay is a great hotel too!

We travel and spend time in a lot of HI's..never had a problem yet, so don't feel the need to stray, and had others to consider when booking!! :) I'm comfortable with MY decision.. despite some of the hostility here!! :)

We also booked the Holiday Inn POM for pre and post cruise. I found a great deal called a Sail Away Package that includes a Millionaires Row tour. The hotel looks decent and the reviews have been favorable.

Do you remember if the cvs sold wine?

Also thank you for the link to the shopping center. It for sure sounds like its a good location :) My Carnival PVP said the Marriott Biscayne Bay is a great hotel too!

Marriott Biscayne Bay is a nice hotel. If you get a room overlooking the bay you can see the ships from your window when you get up the next morning.

Can't help with the wine question as I never take it with me but someone probably knows.

I just booked the Intercontinental this morning for our Thanksgiving cruise on the Liberty. Went to LMT and the website showed a price of $141.00 I called the 800 # and the lady gave me the price of $120.00 add taxes and total is $139.70.

I am booked on the Liberty for Thanksgiving too :D. Great price on the Intercontinental. I may have to give them a call myself.

Come join the rollcall!

So, after a very frustrating evening of calling several hotels and trying to book a room and bring told they are booked solid, we booked the Holiday Inn POM for the AAA discount. I really had my heart set on staying in the downtown area and this was one of the few hotels that said they still had availability.

So, after a very frustrating evening of calling several hotels and trying to book a room and bring told they are booked solid, we booked the Holiday Inn POM for the AAA discount. I really had my heart set on staying in the downtown area and this was one of the few hotels that said they still had availability.

Are you calling hotels now to book rooms for January 2013? :confused: I have not called a hotel to book a room in years - choose your favorite travel web site, plug your dates in and see what comes up on line. If you are using a AAA discount their web site should help you find hotels offering discounts.

Good luck! :)

Well, at least you are booked...and the GOOD news is ( I hope?) you can still keep checking the travel sites and try and get either a cheaper rate at HI, or at another hotel in the area.

I was equally frustrated a few months ago when trying to find a good rate on a hotel for our cruise..Someone, don't remember who..but it was someone on CC..told me I was too early to get the best prices.... so, I swallowed my frustration and 'let it go' for a bit...

So, you've got time to play with numbers and see if you can find a better deal!!

I know, I haven't called to book in a very very long time. But I noticed most online sites wouldn't book that far out. But, then I picked up the phone to call the Marriott Biscayne bay about that weekend and they said they were booked solid already. That's when I really decided that I couldn't put off booking a hotel. I called several, none of them would let you book online yet, and they were booked solid. STUPID MARATHON. So I went with the holiday Inn POM. It's completely refundable and can be cancelled without a charge before Jan 23. So, when priceline and other places open their bookings for that weekend I plan to try and get a better hotel/rate. My concern is that since some of these hotels are booked solid Priceline won't be getting any rooms.

I know, I haven't called to book in a very very long time. But I noticed most online sites wouldn't book that far out. But, then I picked up the phone to call the Marriott Biscayne bay about that weekend and they said they were booked solid already. That's when I really decided that I couldn't put off booking a hotel. I called several, none of them would let you book online yet, and they were booked solid. STUPID MARATHON. So I went with the holiday Inn POM. It's completely refundable and can be cancelled without a charge before Jan 23. So, when priceline and other places open their bookings for that weekend I plan to try and get a better hotel/rate. My concern is that since some of these hotels are booked solid Priceline won't be getting any rooms.

Have you started looking at flights. :confused: Lots of folks save $$ by flying into FLL, PBI, or even MCO and then renting a car or using a shuttle service. You'll have less impact from the Marathon if you look at FLL area hotels. ;)

Call the Marriott Biscayne Bay back and tell them you want to pick up a room in the marathon block.

The hotels aren't booked but all the rooms are already blocked at the hotels.

If you want another month or so, you can book directly through the marathon site. www.INGMiamiMarathon.com . The 2012 hotels are not on the site yet.

it was just refurbed at the the end of 2011..August/September I think? Recent reviews are favorable. I made a point to notice how close it was to the cruiseport when we were there in September..

I personally just want a clean room to rest my head for 12 hours...I'd rather save my $$ for on board.

I stayed here before the renovations, way back in October 2009, and even then it wasnt a dump. Other people here were calling it a dump and had me a bit concerned. I was pleasantly surprised. Yes it was a little dated, but certainly not a dump. The room was spotless and well equipped. I have been watching the recent reviews and they are not bad at all. Im also cruising out of Miami in October, and I would not hesitate to stay there again. I think you got a great deal btw! Have a great cruise!:)

I guess because there are so many to choose from, I feel so overwhelmed choosing.

Basically we don't want to spend more than $150 for the night for a hotel, we would like a free breakfast, would be happy with muffins, coffee, bagels, stuff like that. We would also like a free shuttle to the port (if it exists).

Does anyone have any recommendations?

We were just in Miami Feb 2 and 7. The night just prior to embarkation we stayed at the HIExpress near the airport (5125 Northwest 36th Street Miami Springs) $136 plus tax. We generally like HIE but this one had our reservation wrong and was super noisy (AC was terribly loud)...after waking up off and on all night long we were greeted with the garbage trucks right about the time the sun came up. We were going to stay on debarkation night but my husband went to the lobby computer and snagged the Hyatt Regency near Bayside Marketplace on Priceline for $90. We were thrilled!

After leaving the ship, we arrived by taxi at the Hyatt knowing it was far too early (9:30 am) to check in. We were greeted warmly in this beautiful hotel and were told we could have the concierge hold our luggage while we enjoyed Bayside or pay a $25 early check in fee. We were fine with having our luggage held. The nice desk clerk then checked our reservation and found a room was ready, waived the early check in fee and we went up to a huge corner room! Beautiful! There is a lobby cafe/restaurant that serves breakfast or a coffee counter that serves Starbucks and pastries. A cab will get you to port quickly...I think it was $13 with tip.

Enjoy!

. We were going to stay on debarkation night but my husband went to the lobby computer and snagged the Hyatt Regency near Bayside Marketplace on Priceline for $90. We were thrilled!

!

That's hilarious! I wonder if they'll disable priceline off the lobby computer!

Have you started looking at flights. :confused: Lots of folks save $$ by flying into FLL, PBI, or even MCO and then renting a car or using a shuttle service. You'll have less impact from the Marathon if you look at FLL area hotels. ;)

That's actually what we plan on doing. We are from south of Chicago, but my sister lives right near Midway, which means free parking and free ride to the airport. So, we plan on flying southwest direct to FLL to save some money. Plus, anytime you can get a direct flight, I say take it!!

Call the Marriott Biscayne Bay back and tell them you want to pick up a room in the marathon block.

The hotels aren't booked but all the rooms are already blocked at the hotels.

If you want another month or so, you can book directly through the marathon site. www.INGMiamiMarathon.com . The 2012 hotels are not on the site yet.

I may have to try and book through the marathon site later then. I just tried to call and they told me "sorry were booked." Sounds like either they are unwilling to book me in the marathon block or they just really are booked! :mad:

That's actually what we plan on doing. We are from south of Chicago, but my sister lives right near Midway, which means free parking and free ride to the airport. So, we plan on flying southwest direct to FLL to save some money. Plus, anytime you can get a direct flight, I say take it!!

If you are flying into FLL I would stay there and avoid the Marathon madness in Miami until the day of your cruise. We like the Embassy Suites in the 17th St. area - big rooms, nice pool, great breakfast, shopping and dining options within walking distance and free happy hour! :D

ATTN: BlueHerons

I may not keep my reservation with Holiday Inn POM. It can be cancelled so I'm not set on it. I would really like to priceline and do the name your own price for a hotel. I had planned on choosing "downtown 4+ star hotels" Is that a good idea? Or, are there hotels that would fall into that category that I would not want?

I may not keep my reservation with Holiday Inn POM. It can be cancelled so I'm not set on it. I would really like to priceline and do the name your own price for a hotel. I had planned on choosing "downtown 4+ star hotels" Is that a good idea? Or, are there hotels that would fall into that category that I would not want?

That should work, although with the Marathon and normal high season demand I would not expect great deals. Do some homework on www.betterbidding.com

With the marathon, it starts and ends downtown, there may not be much on priceline.

I cannot think of any four star plus on priceline downtown Miami I'd not like to stay in.

It would be really cool if you got The Epic or Viceroy. Even the Conrad or Four Seasons.

Archived