Scenic Tours or APT?

jakes47

Hi - I have travelled with both AMA and Scenic.

They were both good - with each line having subtle advantages.

Scenic is all-inclusive, but AMA is not. I have found that Scenic is a bit more expensive - but you need to figure out all costs (ie: cost of gratuities - which will depend on the length of your cruise...)

My suggestion is to look at the itineraries closely. There will probably be some differences, so it would depend on what you really want to see, and what you think you can miss.

If you are unsure - you could always post again, asking for opinions on specific stops and/or excursions.

Fran

Thanks Fran – I shall get out the magnifying glass and examine more closely as they seem to be the same cost. I cant work out if the cabin sizes stated includes the balcony or if it just the internals. I can see some differences in the cabin layouts but I am really at a loss.

I would presume Scenic would attract mostly Aussies and in some ways I would like to get away from home a little but then again I would like to support an Australian Company - Decisions! Decisions!

Thanks Fran – I shall get out the magnifying glass and examine more closely as they seem to be the same cost. I cant work out if the cabin sizes stated includes the balcony or if it just the internals. I can see some differences in the cabin layouts but I am really at a loss.

I would presume Scenic would attract mostly Aussies and in some ways I would like to get away from home a little but then again I would like to support an Australian Company - Decisions! Decisions!

Cabin sizes usually include the balcony space

You could email or call Scenic to find out for sure

Scenic is marketed to Canadians so you may see a lot of us onboard ;);)

Thanks every one - Scenic it is! :) We are going for one of the new ships in May next year and are looking forward to it. It will be a good step up from the self drive, Midi Canal cruise we did a few years back (wouldn’t recommend that one if you value your friendships) :(.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hey thanks for all the various opinions. We are doing an APT from Amsterdam to Budapest 30 March 2013, as it is about all we can afford after 2 long Princess in Asia/NZ cruises. We hope that we can be flexible in our acceptance of strangeness and while husband lived in Europe for many years, he wants to give me a taste. We can cycle and walk and speak german, so can do things on own if we so choose. Would like to 'pre-meet' fellow passengers tho'? Any takers?

We did Prague to Paris last September with AMA. While there were quite a few folks travelling under the APT banner, for the most part the guests were Americans or Canadians. The APT passengers, as far as I know, were on the same tours etc. as the rest of the passengers, I did not see any difference in their treatment. In fact I heard a few complaints that there booking was to be 'all inclusive' but in fact they were charged for the same gratuities the rest of the passengers were. Not sure if that got straightened away during or after the cruise. Regardless, AMA was a top notch tour operator and I would go with them again. This year we are trying Scenic, Amsterdam to Budapest to experience 14 nights on board a river cruise, and to see what differences there are between tour operators. You will enjoy with whichever company you choose.

• 2 months later...

We cruised the Rhine Danube with APT and as APT own most of AMA standards should be the same. The APT tour guides were only availble to passengers who booked the APT package would be the same with Scenic. Enjoyment depends so much on the tour guides. Balcony rather than the opening windows with a rail may be nice but for an Aussie, June in Europe was cold.

We did an Alaska Cruise/tour organised by Scenic and we said never again. The daily organisation of it was just incompetant to put it politely. They did offer a credit on a future trip.

John & Val

• 2 weeks later...

I am just making this decision too, but as a single, my preferred Itinerary in France, with single supp is heart stopping! I last used Uniworld single, waive supp, and APT with husband, so no supp. I was happy with both APT and Uniworld, but I love the itinerary on the big France cruise.

Sorry to be so niave, but we've never had a "butler service" - what does this mean? Someone to polish your shoes, which we don't need? Room service if I want to eat in my cabin? I'm usually a "do it yourself" kind of person, so not sure what a butler would do for me, but have me feel embarrassed!

And I really liked the electronically assisted bicycles, as on my last Uniworld trip I had hurt my back on arrival in France and couldn't manage my usual walking let alone a bike. But assisted, should another accident occur, or if fact a few steep hills, is a sweetener!

Thanks!

We are on an APT trip from Amsterdam to Monte Carlo next month and when we were choosing our trip last year all the APT itineries were fully inclusive - all drinks with meals, excursions and tips. This is what swayed us to use APT rather than another company, having been "caught" by the optional excursion and tipping add ons on a previous Insight land tour. It is not that we are opposed to tipping but as it is foreign to most Aussies at home it was quite a shock when on the second last day the guide passed envelopes around with a suggested amount. We would rather pay up front because it helps with budgeting and planning for shopping!

Aussie Teen, ditto! Off topic in this thread, but I did a fabulous Italian (first Italy trip) with Insight, they cancelled 2 tours, wrecked our entire 5 week Itinerary, but the tour in Italy was great, and so was the legroom.

But I did all but 2 of the optionals, and paid 40% of my initial cost on top in the optionals. Will never travel with Insight again.

Off topic again but does any of the well travelled contributors to this forum know of any land content companies that are all inclusive up front like APT? I know APT offer European land tours but before I purchase I am after some comparisons,

We live in the UK (Scotland) and traveled with AMA Vineyards of Moselle and Rhine in April. We knew what we we getting, though wish we had not had to negotiate spiral staircase to our lower deck-we were told that it was just a few steps but it was eleven - and could do without crawling across other ships to go ashore in some ports. We booked through a UK agent who in turn had to go through another agency representing AMA here. The trip was very good with many extra nice surprises.

We met people from Wales who had dealt directly with APT and they were supposed to be completely all-inclusive. We never found out just how their tips were handled.

We have gone directly through APT for another AMA cruise -Magnificent Europe in November so we shall soon find out how it works.

We have also been on Viking Sky twice before which we thoroughly enjoyed and will travel with Viking -Prague to Berlin next April.

We very much prefer river cruise over ocean cruise because of the smaller number of passengers, better (for us) meal time and proximity to city ports.

I think AMA and APT have lots in common. Maybe APT is more Aussie/Kiwi as we are not used to tipping and expect fully inclusive prices. That does not mean cheaper just that we know what we are paying up front as our on costs ie air fares and pre and post accommodations is an added cost that our North American may not have to factor in as they are much closer. We have to face a costly 24 hour flight to reach our starting port!

Off topic again but does any of the well travelled contributors to this forum know of any land content companies that are all inclusive up front like APT? I know APT offer European land tours but before I purchase I am after some comparisons,

I think Scenic tours/Evergreen may be more inclusive than Globus etc which are geared more to North American travellers

http://www.scenictours.com.au/destinations/europe/

• 2 months later...
we are in early stages of trip, and have heard comment that Avalon's day tours consist of a trip to the local tourist shop. Can anyone confirm this and does that also apply with APT?

We were on a 15 day Avalon cruise in august and that was definitely not the case..each included tour had 4 groups with local guides, we were never taken to tourist shops, we had city bus or walking tours snd were very well organised, there was always free time at the end of each tour to visit whatever shops we wanted or to just keep exploring the towns. We were very happy with Avalon and would travel with them again.

Deb