180 degree view on extended balconies?

nessa0215

Hi all- I'm looking to book a cruise for this fall on the Legend. Regular balconies (8A-8F) aren't available for the Early Saver Rate, so we are looking to book an extended balcony.

I've read about how some people don't like extended balconies because you can't look straight down on the water. However, I haven't read much about the view when looking from side to side (front to back of the ship). Since the cabins are recessed and the regular balconies stick out farther, you don't get a 180 degree view, right? Most of the pictures I've found show this, but I haven't been able to find many pictures showing this view (most are just looking straight out or down).

Does anyone have any suggestions on extended balconies that will give you more of a side to side view? Thanks!!!

What your are referring to (as far as balconies sticking out further) is not specific to extended balconies. It is dependent on where on the ship the cabin/balcony is located.

What you are referring to (as far as balconies sticking out further) is also only for the Spirit Class ships (Spirit, Pride, Legend, Miracle) where the beam (width of the ship) is not constant. All 19 other Carnival ships do not have this issue.

You can see a deck example here:

https://www.goccl.com/irman/bookccl/the_fleet/interactive_map/spirit/interactivemap.html

As far as not being able to look straight down on them either, that is not true. It has nothing to do with whether it is an extended balcony, again it has to do on where it may be on the ship.

Firefly, to clarify- I'm referring to the balconies on the Legend that are on the part of the ship that is narrower (such as 8138-8186) as opposed to the ones that are on the wider part of the ship (such as 8188-8218). My concern is that when you look from side to side on the balcony, you're going to see the cabins that are sticking out, rather than the front and the back of the ship.

We were on the "idented" area of the Legend in Nov. deck 7 . We were in a 9B next to the rear elevaors. Great cabin! Yes, we had less than a 180 degree horizontal view and looking down on deck 5 were the lifeboats. This did not bother us at all, some it might. The extra space on the balcony was so nice as the regular balconys aren't very wide. The 8K's are similar. We loved the Legend. :D

Hi all- I'm looking to book a cruise for this fall on the Legend. Regular balconies (8A-8F) aren't available for the Early Saver Rate, so we are looking to book an extended balcony.

I've read about how some people don't like extended balconies because you can't look straight down on the water. However, I haven't read much about the view when looking from side to side (front to back of the ship). Since the cabins are recessed and the regular balconies stick out farther, you don't get a 180 degree view, right? Most of the pictures I've found show this, but I haven't been able to find many pictures showing this view (most are just looking straight out or down).

Does anyone have any suggestions on extended balconies that will give you more of a side to side view? Thanks!!!

yeah. most of the extended side balconies are recessed into the ship, so you won't be able to see those "points" at the very front or end of the ship.

depending where you are in the "recession", you will get varied angled views.

We were on the "idented" area of the Legend in Nov. deck 7 . We were in a 9B next to the rear elevaors. Great cabin! Yes, we had less than a 180 degree horizontal view and looking down on deck 5 were the lifeboats. This did not bother us at all, some it might. The extra space on the balcony was so nice as the regular balconys aren't very wide. The 8K's are similar. We loved the Legend. :D

Ditto!!! We were in a 9B as well (7301). I personally felt I had great views. Felt like 180 degrees to me. No need for me to be able to strain my neck out to see the literal "front" and "back" of the ship. I have pics but not on this computer. Sorry.

There are extended balconies near the front of the ship that are not "indented". Check Deck 5

aren't those the balconies that have no covering over them?

We were in Legend 5130 the final cabin on the extended balconies on deck 5, forward-- the next door neighbor has a regular balcony. LOVED this cabin! 180 degree views because it is in the section that sticks out at the front of the ship. This was our first balcony and I think we are going to be spoiled from it because our next cruise is a regular balcony and it is going to feel a lot smaller in comparison.

Not only is it extended like the regular extended balconies, but you get even more floor space because the glass is angled instead of straight up-and-down. The overhang covered your chair (i.e. the overhang is regular balcony width), the only unprotected part/visible to others would be your feet or if you were standing at the rail.

I would highly recommend the deck 5 forward extended balconies as they feel more spacious than even the regular extended balconies due to the angled glass and they are also on the part of the ship that is set "out" and not recessed. Great view!

Unless you are right at the bump you get close to a 180 view, and any part of the view that you lose is not noticeable.

Archived