Baggage-less in Ft. Lauderdale--Allure Mishap

louv2000

My post was not intended to offend anyone, sorry if this effected you. My apologies.

None taken at all :) . Like I said, I was originally just writing a reply to fix the OP's and everyone else's spelling error as it was bugging me out and then I just felt emotionally compelled to rant about that comment. Seriously no worries :cool:

I had a similar situations, yes plural, on 2 out of my 3 cruises.

First was on Disney. Someone that had a suitcase similar to ours took the wrong one. Here is a link, so that I can save some typing. And, Disney handled it wonderfully!!! http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=26068416&postcount=34

Second time was on the Allure last March. Again, here is a link. RCL's lost luggage dept was useless to me. It took an e-mail to Mr. Goldstein to get any action. A wonderful lady in his office took care of me and got me what I needed!!!! http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=29570430&postcount=36

I wish I could give you useful advise. But, with it looking like the other party is not even from the USA, I fear it may be quite difficult. But I wish you the best!!!

I had this happen when my daughter and I went to Disney. It was my first ever trip and I did read the notice about checking the luggage number and I thought I did that, however, when we got to the hotel and I opened the luggage it was not mine. I went to the phone to call somebody but there was already a message from Disneys front desk telling me that I had the wrong luggage and they offered to have someone take the wrong bag back to the aiport and deliver mine for a fee of $20.00. It was such a relief and I really did feel bad for the other person. I realized later that I compared the wrong # on the slip. (I had the name of our hotel on the luggage so that helped)

So, on my next trip I bought the most ugliest luggage I could find and tied all different kind of ribbon on the handle. It will never happen again.

In every one of these missing luggage stories on this thread, it's a woman walking off with the luggage til she gets caught. I think its the same woman, stealing people's luggage on purpose! Alert the authorities! Someone stop her before she strikes again!

But seriously, I'm really sorry this happened to you. I'm now thinking about how to make my luggage more distinctive.

One of my sisters bags was not in the terminal when they went to retrieve their luggage at the end of their cruise in March. They did have insurance but not with the cruise line - however - after filling out the proper paperwork and being in touch with Royal Caribbean hoping their luggage would turn up - (it never did) - they were informed Royal Caribben would cover up to $300 PP of their lost items. We went to the cruise contract and it does state this under I believe luggage liability limitations. They received a check from Royal Caribbean and did not have their insurance thru the cruise line. I would file a claim with Royal Caribbean and see where it goes. You put your luggage out, they took possession of it and it wasn't in the terminal. Good luck with it all - I hope you get your luggage back.

And not really sure what you expect RC to do for you? Bottom line...lesson hopefully learned, two words....BAGGAGE INSURANCE......K.O. near Philly

well considering that there was a similar bag left, for one i would expect rci to attempt to contact the owner of the bag that was left to see if they took the wrong bag by mistake. and if so retrieve the bag and give back the right bag.

In a somewhat related story......a few years ago, here in Phoenix, a couple had been stealing bags from the airport baggage claim. This had gone on for months until the police got a tip. It turns out the couple had hundreds of bags in an U-haul rental truck.

Once the police had all the evidence and sorted it out, some bags made their way home!

I can remember years ago having to show your baggage claim stubs to get out of the baggage claim area.....today airport baggage claim is a joke when it comes to security and checking claim checks.

well considering that there was a similar bag left, for one i would expect rci to attempt to contact the owner of the bag that was left to see if they took the wrong bag by mistake. and if so retrieve the bag and give back the right bag.
What you would expect and reality are two different animals. And how do you know that someone didn't eventually take that bag???

While YES there are good people in this world. You have to wonder how many people deliberately take out the good stuff in their own luggage and then intentionally take another's on the gamble they get some good stuff. And if they get caught all they have to say is they thought it was theirs. (the perfect stealing situation) I've seen people do some really nasty stuff. The moral of the story is NEVER keep valuables in your luggage.

I found this gadget online.

http://www.amazon.com/Easy-Pick-Wireless-Tracking-Transmitter/dp/B006NKEPO8/ref=pd_vtp_e_10

While YES there are good people in this world. You have to wonder how many people deliberately take out the good stuff in their own luggage and then intentionally take another's on the gamble they get some good stuff. And if they get caught all they have to say is they thought it was theirs. (the perfect stealing situation) I've seen people do some really nasty stuff. The moral of the story is NEVER keep valuables in your luggage.

I found this gadget online.

http://www.amazon.com/Easy-Pick-Wireless-Tracking-Transmitter/dp/B006NKEPO8/ref=pd_vtp_e_10

That's unlikely to happen in a cruise ship terminal; it's still a secure area. A theif would have to invest in a cruise for a potential bag of dirty underwear:eek: But yes, this scam used to be pretty easy to do in airline baggage claim. Thief shows up with a common suitcase filled with consignment shop clothing, and switches it out for a promising looking similar bag on the turnstyle. I bet it's less common now because there are cameras everywhere, so it would be easy to spot a criminal now.

We got off of our cruise 5 or so years ago in FLL, only two of 5 bags. We were spending another week in FLL with only hubbies clothes- nothing for the kids or me. Hated to spend our vacation time buying bathing suits, shorts, etc..Fortunately we had carried our valuables and MOST of our prescriptions...Filed lost baggage form, never heard a word back. Filed a claim with the insurance carrier, they dilly-dallied so much that I got tired of dealing with them..

90+ days later I got a call from our local CVS pharmacy on a Sunday afternoon She gave me a number to call and said that an agent from US Airways in Charlotte, NC had to speak to me.. We lived in Arizona! They had 3 suitcases all without luggage tags but with the same bright , polka-dotted ribbon on the handles. The agent at lost baggage dug thru the stuff and found a cosmetic bag with my husband's prescription eyedrops. He did not need them, I had packed them in case he had a problem while we were away for over 2 weeks. She called CVS, they called me, and the airline on which we did not fly delivered our suitcases to our home via FED Ex , 2 days later! How in heavens the bags got to North Carolina is beyond me-nobody could figure out who even had them, or why all the identification had been removed, or how they got on an airplane!

I guess what I am trying to say is- don't give up hope! I was tickled to get the stuff back. As I am sure some of you ladies can attest to, we have certain dresses and skirts that fit just right,it is usually impossible to replace your favorite outfits! Our stuff was no worse for wear- just a bit musty. And when I finally got a check from the insurance company I was happy to return it. 6 months later, after I CANCELLED the claim!!!

Good Luck to you

Thanks everyone for the replies. We just flew into Toronto this am. Our flight was delayed. Got to our house at 4:30 am. Am still going on no sleep! One blessing is the lack of laundry to do! :o

Have checked my credit card and its a no fee Amex with only Trip Accident insurance (no luggage).

I'm going to follow up with RCI and the various airports to see if the bag has turned up.

After listing all my lost items, its closer to $1000 for replacements. Forgot I had my spare prescription glasses in there too. :(

I'll contact my house insurance carrier to give them a heads up and start the paperwork tomorrow.

Thanks everyone for the replies. We just flew into Toronto this am. Our flight was delayed. Got to our house at 4:30 am. Am still going on no sleep! One blessing is the lack of laundry to do! :o

Have checked my credit card and its a no fee Amex with only Trip Accident insurance (no luggage).

I'm going to follow up with RCI and the various airports to see if the bag has turned up.

After listing all my lost items, its closer to $1000 for replacements. Forgot I had my spare prescription glasses in there too. :(

I'll contact my house insurance carrier to give them a heads up and start the paperwork tomorrow.

Id also call Royal about putting in a claim with them - can't hurt - it doesn't cover nearly what you lost but $300 PP may be better than nothing. See my previous post.

There was a similar bag sitting there (medium size blue Samsonite with 4 spinner wheels). This bag was marked with some pink ribbons. The id tags were for a passenger from Bogota, Columbia.

There are some good people from Bogotá, Colombia! :)

In 2002, while living in Atlanta, I dated a lady from Bogotá. We broke up late that year. In 2007, I received a phone call from her. Seems she had a copy of my audition tape, and was desperately trying to return it to me (I had moved all the way to California). I told her not to worry as I had other copies. So after 4+ years of not hearing from her, she was still trying to do the right thing!

Don't give up hope that whomever has your luggage in Bogotá (if that is truly the case) will try to get it back to you!

2. This comment above is so sterotypical and to a point racist on the country of colombia.

I myself happen to be colombian!

Colombian is not a race; it's a nationality.

In fact, over the years colombia has finally opened up to tourism and is a beautiful country and welcoming tourists.

I am so glad! I will be in Colombia in March! :D

Oh Lori, I'm so sorry - wow, we did get our baggage but everything that was in my front pocket of my suitcase is gone. It was a shirt and a pair of shorts and socks. I put it there so that if I wanted to change into some cooler clothes (HA - didn't need them!) I could get to it easily. I can't imagine why someone would open it and take out those clothes, that was all that was there but I don't feel like I lost much since you lost your whole bag.

We got off the Carnival Dream two years ago and one piece out of 4 was missing. There was a red suitcase that was just like ours sitting there for the longest time. My husband kept insisting the owner's of that suitcase took our by accident. We spoke with all the Carnival reps and asked for their help in finding the bag. About an hour and half later, when almost everyone was off the ship and we were getting ready to file a claim, our bag turned up. It had gone to the wrong side of the terminal and was sitting there.

Another time in the airport, someone did take our bag by accident. We called the number that was on the bag that was the same as ours. The gentleman was very contrite. Luckily he lived only 10 minutes from us, so we were able to retrieve our suitcase. Unfortunately for him he had to go back to the airport to get his!

Hopefully it will turn up. Maybe whoever has it, hasnt returned home yet and did not need the suitcase for the rest of their vacation or they went on a back to back cruise and have no way of getting the bag to you. I hope it turns up.

That's unlikely to happen in a cruise ship terminal; it's still a secure area. A theif would have to invest in a cruise for a potential bag of dirty underwear:eek: But yes, this scam used to be pretty easy to do in airline baggage claim. Thief shows up with a common suitcase filled with consignment shop clothing, and switches it out for a promising looking similar bag on the turnstyle. I bet it's less common now because there are cameras everywhere, so it would be easy to spot a criminal now.

Call me a cynic but I could still see someone going o a cruise then packing all their good stuff in a carryon then take another’s bag to offset their own cruise. Just because a person goes on a cruise does not make them honest. Just look at the news to see how low some will go.

Call me a cynic but I could still see someone going o a cruise then packing all their good stuff in a carryon then take another’s bag to offset their own cruise. Just because a person goes on a cruise does not make them honest. Just look at the news to see how low some will go.

Your a cynic. Your welcome. :D

I am not sure if this has been said already, but I was told by airline baggage handlers for missing bags, to put a whole itinerary in the outside pocket of our bag. They said that is where they will look for information.

I put a copy into a small zip lock along with our suitcase Cruise Tag if we have one.

I add our cell phone, email and home address, Airline flight numbers and dates of travel, Hotels with their phone number/address etc. anywhere we are going to be on this trip.

On the suitcase luggage tag we have our cell phone and email address. Then they can contact us, even if we are not at home.

Then all bags are locked with TSA locks and if we want to lock the outside pockets, we put on the plastic zap cords?

Our bags are dressed up, with ribbons etc. and our Last Name written on the cases. Nothing that can catch on the conveyor belts either.

People are in a hurry when traveling and will grab a bag and not check. If we had black bags I would paint something on them to make them stand out big time.

Help! Anyone have advice to offer?

I'm just off the Allure sailing today. Am staying at The Pillars in Fort Lauderdale for the night--flying back to Toronto tomorrow evening (will be leaving for the airport around 6:30 pm).

We departed the Allure in one of the last groups (#66). I think we got into the terminal to collect luggage around 10:30 or 11am.

My luggage was no where to be found.

I was just emailed an application for the RCCL Visa. (which I already have. you would think they know that) In the advertisement it states that it offers "Lost Luggage Protection" Just curious, Did you use this visa to book your cruise. If so maybe your covered for your luggage under their aggreement.. If you used another credit card I would call them up and ask if they have a similar policy.

I have never had lost luggage, I honestly think that is because my suitcase stands out. It's a hard shell, bright almost neon pink bag with a massive flower sticker on the front that I put there with a rainbow suitcase strap around it! Looks brilliant but I think I am the only one brave enough to pick it up so it's never been taken :D

On a more serious not though. A friend of mine last year lost her suitcase in Morocco. She flew in to Casablanca airport and when it came to baggage claim her Silver Antler bag was gone and another lonely silver Antler bag was rolling around on the belt. It looked like hers even down to the black luggage ID tag. She had not defined her bag in anyway. She got the details off the luggage label, go to the hotel, told them what had happened and they found it for her, even sent a driver out in the middle of the night to go and get it. On the way home she bought a big ribbon to put round the handle so she could mark out her bag.

I'm sorry it has happened to you and maybe the people will try to get it back to you.

CK x

I am not sure if this has been said already, but I was told by airline baggage handlers for missing bags, to put a whole itinerary in the outside pocket of our bag. They said that is where they will look for information.

I put a copy into a small zip lock along with our suitcase Cruise Tag if we have one.

I add our cell phone, email and home address, Airline flight numbers and dates of travel, Hotels with their phone number/address etc. anywhere we are going to be on this trip.

On the suitcase luggage tag we have our cell phone and email address. Then they can contact us, even if we are not at home.

Then all bags are locked with TSA locks and if we want to lock the outside pockets, we put on the plastic zap cords?

Our bags are dressed up, with ribbons etc. and our Last Name written on the cases. Nothing that can catch on the conveyor belts either.

People are in a hurry when traveling and will grab a bag and not check. If we had black bags I would paint something on them to make them stand out big time.

I think you might be giving a little too much information here. Your name, address & phone numbers should suffice. Your whereabouts & dates that you will be away should probably be left out. What if the bag was "lost" at your home airport & never made it on the plane?:eek:

Couple of years back , my family went on vacation to florida. we tagged all the luggages. When we got to Nyc airport , we watched them tags it as well. When we got down there one of the bag was missing. We went to missing bags counter and filed the claim. We gave all the info including the hotel we are staying at. The bags got all our toilete accessories and my mom contact lens stuff. Few hours later the airline called us and saying our bag was still in Nyc. Somehow the strings tag got loose or cut off. They also said it won't get down there to wee hours. After we woke up, we went to front desk and the bag was there. They attached a stronger tag holder for us.

Also another time, my mom was doing a business trip. She flew somewhere and one of the bag was missing. We filed the claim. The airline called in few hours said the bag was in this state unclaimed. Somehow this bags got on the wrong plane. We got the bag back like 3 days later at the house.

With cruise terminal , it seem like it tough call how to improve this situation. I do have two ideas that may help to teach the people the responsibilities. One is the terminal should have play all language saying "Please note that all bags look alike maybe yours but it not. Please check tags on the luggage to verify it your. ". The other is to have few people from the terminal seeing the name on the sea pass card and look at every tags to make sure it belongs to you. it just a thought and opinion in case these lost bags at cruises terminals are going up. Sometime it better we are treated like babies because a lot of don't want this happen in the future.

Archived