Baggage-less in Ft. Lauderdale--Allure Mishap

louv2000

Most do, however, you must produce receipts. You produce receipts, insurance companies will reimburse. No receipts, no checks, good luck.

OP mentioned jewelry, a camera, etc. Now, I would have those receipts. Most people have a $500 deductible. Figure the difference.

I would also think you might be able to track down some of those receipts. I think a lot of the big box stores, like best buy, might be able to access those receipts.

I had a similar experience in New Jersey coming off of Explorer. There was a woman walking away with my bag after looking at the tag. My bag tag is personalized and not only has my name, address, phone number and email address on one side, it has a picture of MY DOG on the other. We saw the woman examine the tag and begin to walk away with the bag anyway!! What the heck!?!?!? We stopped her and she just kind of shrugged at us and went back to the baggage mele. Potential disaster averted.

Hopefully, your bag makes it home soon! All of those memories on your cameras and even cheap jewelry can have great value. :(

Sam :D

PS-- DH keeps swearing one time his bag won't make it to the room....we're loyal to Royal, but won a Norwegian CL garment bag on our single NCL cruise and use it frequently. He expects to see it floating by on sail away. :)

We make our bags as ugly as possible. We can spot it going onto the plane sometimes.

Dress it up with stickers or anything that works and if it is a light colour use a Sharpy to put your last name on the fabric or plastic outer part.

I have seen some use paint to put flowers and such on their bag.

Better to have it look ugly/dressed up, than not have it!:D

Good luck getting your bag and contents back!!!

This is why I have a red flowerd suitcase it's crazy no one has anything like it! I also let my kids decorate there bags with fabric paint nobody wants those and they are easy to find in the sea of suitcases.

really hope you get your bags back let us know how you make out

Thanks for the ideas everyone. I'm going to call both airports tomorrow to see if anything has appeared. I'll call RCI again too. I won't let this drop and will hound them. I do feel that RCI bears some responsibility.

I'll also check with our homeowner's policy, but fear we may have a high deductible and this would likely up our rates too (dontcha love Canada eh?).

I'm mainly upset about our lost cruise photos and videos. The rest can be replaced (well, except for some cheap jewelry with sentimental attachment).

Live and learn. I'll be walking off with my luggage from now on. Is it possible to walk on with it too?

And not really sure what you expect RC to do for you? Bottom line...lesson hopefully learned, two words....BAGGAGE INSURANCE......K.O. near Philly

OP asked a good question- can you carry your bags on, too? I'd really prefer to do that rather than check it with the porters. I've already learned to not trust them to remove my bags at the end.

I think as long as it will go through the security Xray machine you can carry it on.......

A good investment:

http://idmybag.com/

The problem with those (and I used to use luggage straps all the time) is that they can catch on the luggage conveyor systems and rip the handle right off your bag :( I won't use one again.

That happened to me in Miami and the airline wouldn't pay for it. Thankfully I had baggage insurance through American Express and they paid for the repair. Getting the handle replaced cost almost as much as a new suitcase would have been :rolleyes:

This is no comfort to Jebuell, who I feel very sorry for; but we travelled on MSC a few years ago and were subjected to the "free for all" that MSC joking calls an "orderley" baggage claim process.

They rolled carts into a shed and allowed people to pull bags off the carts well before they were positioned in the appropriate colour zones - we watched many people pull multiple cases off the carts look at them, decide that maybe they weren't theirs and just leave them there on the floor. One man in particular pulled several "red" cases off a couple of the carts; all the cases were different sizes and shapes but he just kept doing it until he finally found one that he figured was his.

This of course lead to mass confusion as cases with every colour tag that you could imagine were strewn all over the floor of the shed where they had been dragged off carts and not in their designated collection areas.

You see this type of behaviour all the time at airports as people collect their luggage from the carousels - it sure beats me why people can't identify their own luggage, afterall you spend time looking at it while you packed it!:eek::eek:

I'm really sorry about your bag. Its a terrible way to end your cruise as I'm sure it was a great one. Try claiming it on your homeowners insurance. Your bag and its contents should be covered. My deductible for something like this is $500. Hopefully the person who does have your bag will contact you so you can arrange to get it back.

I've always said that anybody can take anyone's bags from the baggage areas at an airport or cruise terminal. There has got to be a better way. That and people need to look hard to make sure its their bag. Everyone has a black rolling suitcase. This is why I don't put anything of value in my luggage. Jewellery, cameras and anything of value goes in my carryon.

Most do, however, you must produce receipts. You produce receipts, insurance companies will reimburse. No receipts, no checks, good luck.

OP mentioned jewelry, a camera, etc. Now, I would have those receipts. Most people have a $500 deductible. Figure the difference.

Totally false. Receipts are not required nor are cancelled checks. A description is all that is needed. As for jewelry, most people have it "scheduled" and if so there is usually no deductible.

I have no idea what the usual deductible in Canada is but in my part of the US the most common is $1000.

Totally false. Receipts are not required nor are cancelled checks. A description is all that is needed. As for jewelry, most people have it "scheduled" and if so there is usually no deductible.

I have no idea what the usual deductible in Canada is but in my part of the US the most common is $1000.

I need your insurance companies name. I need to change companies.

I need your insurance companies name. I need to change companies.

Why, do you plan on filing a false claim ? Most all major insurance companies settle claims the same way. Receipts are helpful in getting an item description but by no means required. If fraud is suspected they will require a recorded statement. Ask your agent or read your policy. Receipts are not required.

Why, do you plan on filing a false claim ? Most all major insurance companies settle claims the same way. Receipts are helpful in getting an item description but by no means required. If fraud is suspected they will require a recorded statement. Ask your agent or read your policy. Receipts are not required.

No, I had a car stolen years ago on a trip with luggage in it. They only replaced items I had receipts for. Just curious.

No, I had a car stolen years ago on a trip with luggage in it. They only replaced items I had receipts for. Just curious.

Then try State Farm. I had to file a claim once for a stolen device and only had to prove current value, not that I had purchased it.

ST]

I'm so sorry about your luggage, and hope it shows up.

Here is something that might help. Many homeowner's policies will pay at least a part of your loss. While you're waiting, conttact your insurance company. At least it's worth a try.

Cruzin Lady

Also, if you charged your trip with a credit card, you may be eligible to file a baggage claim.

Then try State Farm. I had to file a claim once for a stolen device and only had to prove current value, not that I had purchased it.

You are in Columbus, so you should be aware of Motorists Mutual. Love the company. Replaced the car, etc. I was satisfied, but most companies do not cover everything.

The items that I had receipts for, checks were written immediately. No questions asked. I do not take OP's missing suitcase lightly. I understand what they are going thru. It really wasn't about the money.

Same thing happened to us last fall at the end of our Oasis cruise. We were missing one of our burgundy bags that had a neon orange strap around it with our last name written in large black letters over and over again! How on earth this lady mistook our bag for hers I will never know. At any rate, I used my cell phone to make a copy of the luggage tag on her bag so I would have her contact info. Unfortunately she was from Puerto Rico, so we were very worried that she was rushing off to catch a flight. I was just starting to fill in the lost bag paper work when the RCI person said that my bag had been found abandoned outside by the curb!! The woman did not even have the decency to turn it in to a RCI agent. At any rate, we were very lucky and got our bag back, I hope that you do too.

Also, if you charged your trip with a credit card, you may be eligible to file a baggage claim.

I was going to mention this same thing. If you used a Visa, MC, or Amex branded card, one of their benefits is lost luggage insurance. There is no deductible if the vacation was booked on the card. I'm not sure the requirements the insurance company they use has, but I would think it would be worth checking out. The amount covered may depend on the "level" card you have (i.e. Classic, Platinum, Signature, World, etc). Good Luck! Of course, the best result would be to get the luggage returned with all contents in tact!

Sorry for this situation. So many bags look alike, some people just grab the bag that looks like theirs and off they go!

When I read Columbia I was like oh, no! Anything could be in THAT bag and get you in a whole lot of trouble!

I sure hope you get your bag back!! Please keep us updated!

I've stopped reading after this post so I don't know if anyone has pointed this out already. But:

1. It's COLOMBIA not columbia! We are talking about the Latin country.

2. This comment above is so sterotypical and to a point racist on the country of colombia.

I myself happen to be colombian! Not all our suitcases "contain' stuff in it. Infact, over the years colombia has finally opened up to tourism and is a beautiful country and welcoming tourists.

Sadly, of course there is a drug problem but it's so sad that the country in whole gets a bad rep. It's like saying NY or Atlanta is "ghetto" because some citys are poor and have violance. Anyway I'm going off topic. I really just wanted to point out the correct spelling until I read this post that was trying to be funny but it wasn't. :cool:

I've stopped reading after this post so I don't know if anyone has pointed this out already. But:

1. It's COLOMBIA not columbia! We are talking about the Latin country.

2. This comment above is so sterotypical and to a point racist on the country of colombia.

I myself happen to be colombian! Not all our suitcases "contain' stuff in it. Infact, over the years colombia has finally opened up to tourism and is a beautiful country and welcoming tourists.

Sadly, of course there is a drug problem but it's so sad that the country in whole gets a bad rep. It's like saying NY or Atlanta is "ghetto" because some citys are poor and have violance. Anyway I'm going off topic. I really just wanted to point out the correct spelling until I read this post that was trying to be funny but it wasn't. :cool:

My post was not intended to offend anyone, sorry if this effected you. My apologies.

Archived