Baggage-less in Ft. Lauderdale--Allure Mishap

louv2000

Help! Anyone have advice to offer?

I'm just off the Allure sailing today. Am staying at The Pillars in Fort Lauderdale for the night--flying back to Toronto tomorrow evening (will be leaving for the airport around 6:30 pm).

We departed the Allure in one of the last groups (#66). I think we got into the terminal to collect luggage around 10:30 or 11am.

My luggage was no where to be found.

There was a similar bag sitting there (medium size blue Samsonite with 4 spinner wheels). This bag was marked with some pink ribbons. The id tags were for a passenger from Bogota, Columbia.

Its my assumption that this passenger took mine by mistake. However, this is just a guess.

The RCI staff were less than helpful. My husband and I had to go up and down the customs line to see if we could find my bag but to no avail. I was directed to a podium to fill out a 'lost luggage' sheet. They made no attempt to locate the passenger on the Columbia tag. I was hoping they'd have that person's flight info or other contact info on file (I know I had to provide this when filling out my Seapass info).

I was hoping they'd make a general announcement to have people double check their bags before leaving. No.

The Pillars were wonderful. Upon our arrival they called the 2 airports, tracked down flights out to Columbia and have requested that luggage be checked carefully (mine has TWO id tags on it with my full name and address).

I don't have baggage insurance (just medical, trip cancellation and interruption) so will be out about $500--800. I need to sit and figure out what's all gone, but my camera was in there, as well as my jewellry and video camera. Some souvenirs bought on the ship and 1 litre of rum.

I had no intention of packing these things in this case, and had every intention of putting valuables in my carryon once we got to our local hotel. So please no lectures!! I know, I know.

Does anyone have any advice? any hope? any similar situations? Will RCI ship the bag home for me if it shows up at some later time?

Many thanks for any constructive ideas.

Lori

Help! Anyone have advice to offer?

I'm just off the Allure sailing today. Am staying at The Pillars in Fort Lauderdale for the night--flying back to Toronto tomorrow evening (will be leaving for the airport around 6:30 pm).

We departed the Allure in one of the last groups (#66). I think we got into the terminal to collect luggage around 10:30 or 11am.

My luggage was no where to be found.

There was a similar bag sitting there (medium size blue Samsonite with 4 spinner wheels). This bag was marked with some pink ribbons. The id tags were for a passenger from Bogota, Columbia.

Its my assumption that this passenger took mine by mistake. However, this is just a guess.

The RCI staff were less than helpful. My husband and I had to go up and down the customs line to see if we could find my bag but to no avail. I was directed to a podium to fill out a 'lost luggage' sheet. They made no attempt to locate the passenger on the Columbia tag. I was hoping they'd have that person's flight info or other contact info on file (I know I had to provide this when filling out my Seapass info).

I was hoping they'd make a general announcement to have people double check their bags before leaving. No.

The Pillars were wonderful. Upon our arrival they called the 2 airports, tracked down flights out to Columbia and have requested that luggage be checked carefully (mine has TWO id tags on it with my full name and address).

I don't have baggage insurance (just medical, trip cancellation and interruption) so will be out about $500--800. I need to sit and figure out what's all gone, but my camera was in there, as well as my jewellry and video camera. Some souvenirs bought on the ship and 1 litre of rum.

I had no intention of packing these things in this case, and had every intention of putting valuables in my carryon once we got to our local hotel. So please no lectures!! I know, I know.

Does anyone have any advice? any hope? any similar situations? Will RCI ship the bag home for me if it shows up at some later time?

Many thanks for any constructive ideas.

Lori

Such a terrible end to a great cruise.....we were also on the Allure this past week.

Perhaps, if you have the tag/ID of the bag you picked up...you could locate those people somehow. We had a similar incident; but the people were from Texas. Took a few weeks to get it all sorted out; but luggage was eventually

back in possession....this was a cruise out of Baltimore. Hopefully, the other people are as worried about their 'lost' luggage as you are and will try to get a hold of you. Keep us posted. judy

So sorry this has happened to you..Just another reason for "everyone" to always make sure they are taking the correct luggage as it only takes a moment of your time to check ..We saw an incident happen in the luggage terminal in Barcelona...luckily a gentleman stopped this woman as she was wheeling out "his" bag..she just shrugged and said nothing as if it was no big deal and walked back in to look for hers....I disagree "it was a big deal" Hope all turns out best for you...Good Luck !!!!!

I did have a similar situation, no luggage at the end of the cruise in the terminal. It took about 4-5 days but the bag was delivered to my home in Ohio. No idea where it had been but everything was intact.

I have no idea if someone else took it by mistake or what, but it did find it's way home. I hope the same for you!!

A few years ago we were standing in the baggage claim at Washington National missing a bag. There was one lone bag, about the size of ours that no one claimed. As I was standing in line at the American Airlines Baggage Counter, my partner walked over to the lone bag, read the ID on it and called the telephone number. They were positive they had their bags until he described their bag exactly including NCL claim tag. Turns out they were rushing home to watch the Superbowl and grabbed the wrong bag. They drove back to the airport and we gave them their bag. The American agent would only file a claim for us and did not care about the similar bag. I'm glad my partner took action while I tried to deal with the American personnel.

OP, I hope you get it back. I imagine the person who took your luggage will want their suitcase.

should have pulled the other persons info off off the luggage tag. due to legalities rci cant give you any contact information for the other party.

We read the name and address, but after seeing it was for Columbia our hearts sank. I don't expect it will be shipped back from there.

The phone number was not local, but for Columbia.

If I'd been thinking, I guess I could have written it all down, the RCI staff weren't stopping me from looking the bag over at all. However, sending them a letter after the fact and in English, well, I have my doubts anything will happen. Hope they like the rum and all my dirty underwear. :rolleyes:

We read the name and address, but after seeing it was for Columbia our hearts sank. I don't expect it will be shipped back from there.

The phone number was not local, but for Columbia.

If I'd been thinking, I guess I could have written it all down, the RCI staff weren't stopping me from looking the bag over at all. However, sending them a letter after the fact and in English, well, I have my doubts anything will happen. Hope they like the rum and all my dirty underwear. :rolleyes:

Where is the bag that belongs to the people from Columbia?? Did RCI keep it?? Do you have it?? I would certainly have kept it until I got mine back!!!!! judy

Where is the bag that belongs to the people from Columbia?? Did RCI keep it?? Do you have it?? I would certainly have kept it until I got mine back!!!!! judy

RCI kept it. I had no need for someone else's dirty laundry! :D

we also had someone mistakenly take our luggage. their phone number was on the tag and we called them and were able to locate them at the Jet Blue terminal. guess what, now we only do "walk off", where i drag my own luggage, its no easy task but well worth lessening my anxiety!

Sorry for this situation. So many bags look alike, some people just grab the bag that looks like theirs and off they go!

When I read Columbia I was like oh, no! Anything could be in THAT bag and get you in a whole lot of trouble!

I sure hope you get your bag back!! Please keep us updated!

My son had this happen to him in an airport. Luckily, the person was waiting for another bag. My son went up to him and asked if he could check the tag. It turned out to be my son's bag. He would not have liked the bag of dirty clothes from a college boy.

I had a similar situations, yes plural, on 2 out of my 3 cruises.

First was on Disney. Someone that had a suitcase similar to ours took the wrong one. Here is a link, so that I can save some typing. And, Disney handled it wonderfully!!! http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=26068416&postcount=34

Second time was on the Allure last March. Again, here is a link. RCL's lost luggage dept was useless to me. It took an e-mail to Mr. Goldstein to get any action. A wonderful lady in his office took care of me and got me what I needed!!!! http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=29570430&postcount=36

I wish I could give you useful advise. But, with it looking like the other party is not even from the USA, I fear it may be quite difficult. But I wish you the best!!!

I never understand why people don't check the tags, it only takes a second! I have a very, very unique suitcase (I get comments on it whenever I travel) and I've never seen another like it in my life and I STILL check the tag because I know it's not the only set of that luggage out there and there's a chance that maybe someday I'll encounter another. Just a glance to see my handwriting... it's not difficult!

Sorry this happened to you. In my experience flying internationally they will inspect the luggage tags before allowing the bag to board an international flight so it's likely that if the Columbians did grab the bag on accident it'll get stopped at the airport. You'd think with all the security at airports today it would raise a red flag *somewhere*. But I also think I'm putting too much faith in airport security... I hope for your sake I'm right, though!

At least, you're going home, where, presumably, you have other stuff....certainly a pain, but not as bad as if you'd lost it BEFORE the cruise!

It will eventually find it's way home!

That was what happened to me with the Allure cruise. Dropped luggage off with the porter, and that was the last time we ever saw my one bag!!! The other pieces made it.

That was last March, it still hasn't found it's way home:(

ST]

I'm so sorry about your luggage, and hope it shows up.

Here is something that might help. Many homeowner's policies will pay at least a part of your loss. While you're waiting, conttact your insurance company. At least it's worth a try.

Cruzin Lady

I feel bad for you. With no insurance you are probably out of luck. Our daughters luggage was lost was on the way to the cruise (her honeymoon). Their 2 bags were sent to catch up with the cruise and were NEVER seen again. She did get an insurance settlement with the airline after many months of calling them almost daily. They made the best of it but many shower gifts, dresses, a suit were lost.

I have had many delayed bags myself and it is no way to start or end a trip. Call, email RCCL and hound them daily just to see if they will help but you may never get resolution. If the other party figures it out before they leave the country you may hear from them but otherwise how would one even begin...

Thanks for the ideas everyone. I'm going to call both airports tomorrow to see if anything has appeared. I'll call RCI again too. I won't let this drop and will hound them. I do feel that RCI bears some responsibility.

I'll also check with our homeowner's policy, but fear we may have a high deductible and this would likely up our rates too (dontcha love Canada eh?).

I'm mainly upset about our lost cruise photos and videos. The rest can be replaced (well, except for some cheap jewelry with sentimental attachment).

Live and learn. I'll be walking off with my luggage from now on. Is it possible to walk on with it too?

You might want to check your homeowners policy. I thought household/personal items were covered even if they were not lost or stolen from your actual home.

Most do, however, you must produce receipts. You produce receipts, insurance companies will reimburse. No receipts, no checks, good luck.

OP mentioned jewelry, a camera, etc. Now, I would have those receipts. Most people have a $500 deductible. Figure the difference.

Archived