Scandinavia vs. Mediterranean

shoegal24

I was all set to book a med. cruise for July, now my husband said he thinks he'd rather do a Scandinavian cruise. Both interest me, but neither of us have been to Europe, so we have no idea what to expect from either option.

For those that have done both, what did you prefer? FWIW, the Solstice is going to the med. and the constellation is the ship that's going doing the Scandinavian cruise.

I've done both, albeit a number of years ago. I loved both. LOVED. If I had to choose one to do again, I'd do Scandinavia in a heartbeat. All of those cities were fascinating, it wasn't hot, it was easy to get around, there was great design everywhere you looked and history I knew nothing about and loved learning. LOVED.

But honestly, you can't go wrong either way. What an excellent decision to have to make!

We did a Baltic cruise and two Med cruises and loved them all. The highlight of our Baltic cruise was St. Petersburg because I had always dreamed of going to Russia. Surprisingly our other favorite was Tallin in Estonia. We just didn't expect it to be so charming.

Our favorite Med cruise included Epheseus and departed from Venice. Loved both of those ports! We'll be back in Venice in May for an Adriatic/Med cruise and we can't wait. One thing that I highly recommend is that you go a day or two early and enjoy your departure city while getting used to the time change. Enjoy!

We have done both & I agree with both the others. But I loved Venice & hope to take a cruise from there & go to Greece next time. To me all the Scand. Countries began to run together, but st. Petersburg & Taliin were the best part of this cruise. The contrast between those 2 cities was dramatic!!!

Enjoy!!!

I was all set to book a med. cruise for July, now my husband said he thinks he'd rather do a Scandinavian cruise. Both interest me, but neither of us have been to Europe, so we have no idea what to expect from either option.

For those that have done both, what did you prefer? FWIW, the Solstice is going to the med. and the constellation is the ship that's going doing the Scandinavian cruise.

We have done both as well and you really can't go wrong with either one. My only comment is that the Med may be too warm this time of yr. I would do the Baltic in July and do the Med in say Sept. or Oct.

We've done both and, like the previous posters, loved both. You can't go wrong.

A small private 2 day tour in St Petersburg, experiencing a pre church service in Tallinn that sounded almost impossibly like a choir of angels singing - Estonia is known as "the singing nation", getting up at 5 am to experience the ship gliding slowly through the Swedish Archipelago towards Stockholm - these were some highlights of the Baltic cruise.

Visiting the House of the Virgin Mary and the grave at the ruins of the Cathedral of St. John, "the beloved disciple", in Ephesus, swimming on a beach in Rhodes, walking among the blue-domed buildings of Oia on Santorini, seeing Pompeii with Vesuvius looming in the background - were all amazing experiences in the Mediterranean.

We did 4 nights pre cruise in Rome before our Med cruise in '06 and really got a good feel for the city and the environs. We did the same in London before our '10 Baltic cruise. We didn't do this before our '08 Auckland to Sydney cruise and, while that cruise was fantastic as well, I feel as if I dropped the ball on that vacation by not doing so, on either or both ends.

Have a great time, whichever you choose. And remember to pack the most essential thing for a trip you'll always cherish: your open heart. :)

Safe travels,

Susan

We've also done both itineraries.

If you are set on July I'd opt for Baltic BUT when we were in St. Petersburg at the end of July, 2010 it was 100 degrees. The other cities on our itinerary were not as warm and it was unseasonally warm in St. Petersburg.

Crowds will be the issue on either itinerary in July. Choosing private excursions is essential. When you determine your ship and sailing date join the Roll Call. There will be others who you can join forces with for small group travel. Normally the privately booked excursions will be with groups of 14 in AIR CONDITIONED Mercedes type vans. Your guides have experience optimizing your days. These privately booked excursions are normally less expensive than ship's tours.

Excursions in Europe are very expensive regardless of how they are booked. Gas is much more expensive than in the US. Most tours involve both a guide and a driver. In Italy, for example, this is the law. In Russia your excursion will include the visa. In Talinn you can spend a wonderful day in old town without the need of a guide. I could go on and on but there is information about Talinn and every port on the Ports of Call boards.

Absolutely include a day or more prior to embarkation in that city. Do not try to fly in the day of embarkation.

Before you book your air consider connections and if you have any questions about your air arrangements post on the Cruise Air board BEFORE you book. There are quite a few well traveled Cruise Critic members who can offer sage advice.

I hope that this will be the first of many European trips for you both.

I was all set to book a med. cruise for July, now my husband said he thinks he'd rather do a Scandinavian cruise. Both interest me, but neither of us have been to Europe, so we have no idea what to expect from either option. For those that have done both, what did you prefer? FWIW, the Solstice is going to the med. and the constellation is the ship that's going doing the Scandinavian cruise.

You've got two excellent options. The five who have responded have offered excellent insights and details. I have to admit that I have a serious "conflict of interest". We have done just four cruises. Two in the Med, one each east and west. Two in the Baltics/Norway areas. Loved all four trips. Both regions have some excellent ports, great history and architecture, wonderful scenery, super culture, nice food options, interesting people, etc., etc.

Late June 2006, Athens to Istanbul, enjoying the Greek Isles and Turkish Coast over seven days. Then late July 2008, Dover to Stockholm, enxperiencing the Baltics and Russia. In 2010, it was July 1-16 from Copenhagen seeing the Norway Coast, fjords, above the Arctic Circle, Land of the Midnight Sun, etc. Then last June, as detailed below from my live/blog, we went from Barcelona with stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik on the Solstice. See more details on our last two trips.

Much depends on what you value and like. How much for history, countryside vs. cities, museums, food, wine, art, music, shopping, architecture, etc.? Tell us more on your personal interests and travel style.

An excellent weather question is raised by jacketwatch on your July timing. That can be more challenging for the Med with the probable high heat there. That might tip the balance to the north for the Baltics, etc. On cost, the Baltics will be more expensive given its higher land/shore costs, plus their shorter season there driving things up.

Below are three pictures from each great area. Got to be fair. Both can and will work well. Maybe you one of these this coming summer and then the other in one or two summers.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 63,828 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 58,427 views.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

Our first views of Istanbul from our just-docking cruise ship as we smell the sweet blend of this historic Turkish city. YES, you can really smell how “special” is this unique city with so much culture!:

1A-Istanbul-Harbor.jpg

Here’s a sampling of the narrow flowered street in Mykonos in the Greek Isles with its many shops. The streets were made so narrow in order to fend off pirate attackers. It is an island with lots of history and legend dating back thousands of years, including connections to ancient Greek mythology. Ionians settled on Mykonos in the early part of the 11th century BC. As Delos developed as a sacred center, Mykonos was under the influences of the different people, including Phoenicians, Macedonians and Athenians. With the rise of Alexander the Great, the fate of Mykonos became a commercial center for agriculture and maritime trade. Mykonos flourished with enormous wealth during Roman occupation during the reign of Augustus Caesar. During the Middle Ages, Mykonos fell under the Venetians and later were victimized by the Saracens and latter the Turks. Starting in the 1950’s, its unique architecture, seclusion and hospitality have made it a haven for the rich and famous.:

1A-Myk-FlowerStreet.jpg

This is the view of Tuscany's San Gimignano from the countryside as you approach and see its great towers, etc.:

SanGimiTowerFromDistance.jpg

Fountains and water at the spectacular Peterhof outside of St. Petersburg:

A-StP-PeterhofFount.jpg

Inside Catherine's Palace in St. Petersburg with our personal guide, we view this spectacular reception room, painted ceiling, gold, etc.:

A-StP-CathPal.jpg

Copenhagen’s famed Tivoli has a wide variety of entertainment happening each day and evening. Here we enjoyed this super energized “BIG BAND” performance, including the Duke’s famed “Night Train” sounds.:

TivoliBigBand.jpg

July wouldn't be my favourite month for cruising the Med. because quite often it is baking hot ( depends on how much heat you're used to, of course !) and it's holiday time in most of Europe. This might mean crowds of people arounds the famous sights and literally hordes of shrieking children ( I LOVE children , but sometimes on holiday it can be a bit much if they are not well-behaved...) .

The Baltics or Northern Europe offer beautiful itineraries and cities - the weather can be everything from cool and rainy - Norway last July was COLD!! - to warm or even hot. Most of the time it's fine though.

It's a difficult decision - personally I'd opt for Scandinavia in July and the Med either for May/June or for September/October.

Whatever you decide - have a good time and happy cruising!!

A difficult decision, but how wonderful if all decisions involved choosing between two itineraries of a lifetime !!

Have also done both, in the past 2 years...and as others have said....LOVED both ! We, like alcpa1 above, hit St Petersburg during the late July 2011 heatwave...which unfortunately took away from some of the enjoyment of the grandeur of the museums/palaces. However, a canal boat ride during the evening hours, with plenty of Russian Vodka, soon made the heat of the day disappear and become a distant memory !!:D

On the other trip we did the Med. in late May/early June and the weather was terrific...so if July is the only option, I too would recommend the Baltics.

And in further agreement with others...do take a few extra days to fly in early and enjoy some time in Barcelona or Amsterdam, as some of the greatest highlights of our past cruises have been spent exploring the cities of embarkation !

Should you have any further questions...feel free to get in touch with me...I am ALWAYS happy to answer travel/cruise questions !!:)

Do keep us posted on what you decide !

Woody

Fans of the Danish TV series "Forbrydelsen" (the original of The Killing) or "Borgen" will especially enjoy Copenhagen. Except that if i go there I'll want sunshine and warmth, whereas The Killing (especially) always showed the city on a wet winter's night. So it won't be quite the same.... But I'll believe that even Sarah Lund can enjoy the sunshine.

We are also looking at the Northern Europe cruise with Constellation.

Normally when travelling to Russia, you need to apply for a visa previously.

How is this when on a cruise - is a visa necessary for Russian ports or do they not check any passports when coming on land - as in the Mediterranean countries where they do not really check any passports.

We are also looking at the Northern Europe cruise with Constellation.

Normally when travelling to Russia, you need to apply for a visa previously.

How is this when on a cruise - is a visa necessary for Russian ports or do they not check any passports when coming on land - as in the Mediterranean countries where they do not really check any passports.

If you book a tour through a private company...they will arrange the visa...your tour ticket will be your visa. We did not book tours through Celebrity, though I am assuming it works the same way....(others will have to answer that for you). Yes, you have to show your passport at Russian Immigration each time you leave/return to the ship !

If you book a tour through a private company...they will arrange the visa...your tour ticket will be your visa. We did not book tours through Celebrity, though I am assuming it works the same way....(others will have to answer that for you). Yes, you have to show your passport at Russian Immigration each time you leave/return to the ship !

This is correct. If you book a tour thru Celebrity this suffices for your visa.

I would recommend Scandinavia over the Mediterranean, which we refer to our Med. cruise as the rocks and ruins cruise. Both are good but Scandinavia is lovely. You will love all of the ports, especially St. Petersburg. We have done 3 Baltics and wish we were going back again!

Thanks everyone! Much appreciated. Also thank you again to Terry for posting those amazing pictures.

Appreciate your kind comments. It's all "real" and true there with the great views, sights, sites, etc.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 64,098 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 58,427 views.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

Most tours involve both a guide and a driver. In Italy, for example, this is the law.

Are you sure about that? I believe the law is that the person who takes you into a site must be licensed (certified, or whatever). Some drivers are, some are not.

We did a Baltic cruise and two Med cruises and loved them all. The highlight of our Baltic cruise was St. Petersburg because I had always dreamed of going to Russia. Surprisingly our other favorite was Tallin in Estonia. We just didn't expect it to be so charming.

Our favorite Med cruise included Epheseus and departed from Venice. Loved both of those ports! We'll be back in Venice in May for an Adriatic/Med cruise and we can't wait. One thing that I highly recommend is that you go a day or two early and enjoy your departure city while getting used to the time change. Enjoy!

I agree, Tallinn, St. Petersburg and Copenhagen were my favorites from my Baltic Cruise. I'll be tackling the western mediteranean this may - can't wait!

Are you sure about that? I believe the law is that the person who takes you into a site must be licensed (certified, or whatever). Some drivers are, some are not.

I wonder if that is a reference to Greece? There its law that you have to have a driver and a lisenced guide. Drivers can take you to the POI's but are not supposed to act a tour guides. That wasn't the case in italy for us however.

Russian immigration was really a PITA, but it is what it is. Other than that, St. Petersburg was fabulous.

We did the Baltic in late May/early June and the weather was lovely. Did the Med in December--weather was also good. It will definitely be hot in the Med in July--Baltic could go either way.

Both trips will be wonderful, it would be hard to choose if you can only do one. I too second Tallinn as a wonderful port call! If you like linen, that's the place to buy it--beautiful stuff and very cheap.

Good luck with your hard decision! :D

Thank you again everyone! We booked the Scandinavian cruise today. We took advantage of Princess' sales and their OBC for first time cruisers. Although I'm disappointed to not be traveling on Celebrity again, Princess' deals and the CHEAP flights to Copenhagen were too good to pass up!

Really looking forward to trying Princess and seeing Europe for the first time!

Happy cruising to all! :)

Russian immigration was really a PITA, but it is what it is. Other than that, St. Petersburg was fabulous.

We did the Baltic in late May/early June and the weather was lovely. Did the Med in December--weather was also good. It will definitely be hot in the Med in July--Baltic could go either way.

Both trips will be wonderful, it would be hard to choose if you can only do one. I too second Tallinn as a wonderful port call! If you like linen, that's the place to buy it--beautiful stuff and very cheap.

Good luck with your hard decision! :D

Funny you should mention that Russian Immigration was a PITA. I went thru (back-forth) a total of 8 times. After dealing with the first 2 Officers...it became my goal to get a smile and laugh out of at least one !! Didn't happen til the very last time thru. The lady Officer spoke great English...and I basically told her of my goal...and how this was my last chance...and how I was sure that behind that smug/serious/tough face...there was a friendly Russian lady...She smiled and laughed !!! I succeeded !! :D

To the OP.....though it's NOT Celebrity....you will no doubt have a great and wonderful cruise of a lifetime !

Woody

Thank you again everyone! We booked the Scandinavian cruise today. We took advantage of Princess' sales and their OBC for first time cruisers. Although I'm disappointed to not be traveling on Celebrity again, Princess' deals and the CHEAP flights to Copenhagen were too good to pass up!

Really looking forward to trying Princess and seeing Europe for the first time!

Happy cruising to all! :)

Cheap flights to Copenhagen??????

Archived