Do we have a chance?

augies

Just got off the Caribbean Princess, 7 day cruise but some people were on for 14 days. Our portion of the 7 day had 2 Chef Table nights. Not sure why 2 as I was under the impression there would be 1. We got lucky and were chosen. There were 3 couples in our group and 6 couples total. Of our 3 couples, we had 1 anniversary and 1 birthday to celebrate during the trip. In addition, 2 of our couples had never cruised before. I'm guessing all of this helped. Of the other 3 couples, 1 had done this once before, 1 never had done it and 1 had done it 3 previous times. All told, fantastic evening, worth the $95/person and would do it again. Good luck

I've read so much about how great the chefs table is. We are boarding our Alaska cruise at 5:30 pm after our tour. Do we have a chance at booking the chefs table? What's the best way to book?

Thanks.

It really depends on how much demand there is for it. Probably 80% of the passengers do not know it exists and few see the announcement about it in the embarkation day Patter.

To add your name(s) to the list, as soon as you board either go to one of the open dining rooms and speak to the Matre d' or a headwaiter or go to your cabin phone and call the DINE line.

We've signed up twice, and got in both times.

On the Star two years ago, we signed up almost as soon as we got on board. We, and the two other couples we asked to go with, were at the first one. Someone on our roll call asked who wanted to go, and he took a list. Apparently everyone got to go eventually. There were 4 on that cruise I think (16 days).

On this cruise, we signed up mid afternoon of embarkation, and we're going to the second one tomorrow night. Our server, who is involved (when we went to the meeting this morning she was handing out the letters and processing the billing), told us tonight that they did two and 40 people signed up. This is a 14 day cruise, so I don't see why they couldn't have done 3 or 4 if they really had enough for that many.

According the the maitre 'd on a recent cruise, the number of Chef's Tables offered depends on the length of the cruise, the number and length of port days, as well as the Exec Chef's meal plans for the cruise.

Augies ..... make that call as quickly as you can after boarding to give you the best possible spot on the list of hopefuls as you can get. And then keep your fingers crossed!! It really is a fantastic experience!

(Oh, and be sure the lady(ladies) take closed toe shoes, as on some ships they are required because of the time spent in the galley.)

Different maitre d's have different systems for how they decide who gets in. Some may do it first-come, first served. Others may do a lottery if there are more people wanting it than there are spaces. On our Alaskan cruise in 2010, they did not have enough people to sign up to do a second Chef's Table at first and there was another ad for it in the Patter on the third day. By the time we did the first Chef's Table, the second one had filled up as well. Friends we had met on the ship tried to get in after they saw ours in progress and could not.

I called as soon as I got to my room on the Emerald and they told me about 20 people were already signed up, so I figured we missed out, but then we got the invitation delivered a day or two later and I felt like I won the lottery or something, I was so excited. It was our first time cruising, so maybe that was taken into account instead of first come first serve? There were 4 other couples I think, as it turned out 3 of the 5 couples were from central CT. (us included) kind of interesting. anyway, hope you get picked, definetly was a great experience. :D

Archived