Snorkeling From Shore

injunjoe

The wife and I are wondering if there is any good snorkeling right off of the shore on 7 Mile beach? If so, what particular spots? If not, is there any good shore snorkeling from other beaches nearby?

Thanks,

Injun Joe

You can snorkel within walking distance of the tender dock. As you are tendering in, look to the right of the dock for a shop with a dive flag. That's where you want to go. It's called Eden Rock Dive Center. They have lockers and a couple of picnic tables. There's a ladder to enter the water. There's no charge, except for the lockers ($5, I think) and equipment rental, if needed. Go to www.edenrockdive.com for more information. We snorkeled there a couple of years ago and plan to do it again in June. Afterwards, you'll have time to shop, or, if you want, take a taxi to the beach.

• 2 weeks later...

In October 03 we went to Cemetary Beach for off-shore snorkeling. It was great. There are no facilities ... we just took a taxi & had him pick us up a couple hours early.

We are going back to Cayman in October. We swam with the rays last time, so not interested in doing again. We will probably just try to hit the off-shore snorkel spots.

My favorite spot (never discussed much here) is Smith Cove, just a few miles south of the tender area and port. Its a cozy beach with great walk-in snorkeling with calm waters. Look it up on a Search, you may be pleasantly surprised.. Rick

Does anyone know how much it costs to rent equipment at Edenrock?

I already did the island tour years ago. We also did the stingray thing. (loved it and may do it again). Any other suggestions as to what we might try? It will be hubby, myself, and my son, 12, maybe a couple of friends going with us.

Thanks for any suggestions

We were in GC last week and had thought we were going to 7Mile but at the last minute decided to go to Eden Rock and I will tell you it was a wonderful day. The place rents equipment we had snorkels and masks. So we rented fins/vests it was $7.00 per pc. They do need a credit card for deposit. They have a bar/rest. picnic tables and lounge chairs on a small beach. It is mostly rocky with steps going into the water. The real show is when you go in the water it is like being in an aquarium.... the best fish we saw the whole trip... the coral is somewhat dead but the fish are worth it... I highly recc. this place and it is a short walk from the tender to the tight as you face shore you can't miss it....

7 mile is a great beach, but the reef is far off shore there. ou will see fish - but mostly sand.

from the tender dock, turn right and the shore is 'iron shore' and the reef is right there!

Eden Rock is good - but can be crowded since it is so close. I've seen 6 ship's tours dump their crowd in there at the same time. You could walk across the snorkle vests.

Walk a bit farther down the road. There are several more places.

I like to head down to Sunset House. A great shore scuba dive but A-OK for snorkeling too. I very confident you won't find a crowd....

We were in GC last week and had thought we were going to 7Mile but at the last minute decided to go to Eden Rock and I will tell you it was a wonderful day.

How was the croud the day you were there? How many ships were in port? I heard there are a few other good spots to the north, Cheeseburger Reef and a few wreck that are neat. Eden Rock sounds great, but it sounds like it might be over crowded. What info you have would be greatly appriecated.

• 2 weeks later...
I like to head down to Sunset House. A great shore scuba dive but A-OK for snorkeling too. I very confident you won't find a crowd....

Can you just set yourself up on the beach at the Sunset House Hotel for snorkeling?

Do you just walk directly down the beach to get there....literally, walking distance from Eden Rock??

Can you just set yourself up on the beach at the Sunset House Hotel for snorkeling?

Do you just walk directly down the beach to get there....literally, walking distance from Eden Rock??

Hi....we were In GC for a week in April and we stayed at the Sunset House..there is no beach there...they have cement steps that go down into a sea pool ..the sea pool opens into the ocean...the reef is right there....its an ok reef for snorkeling...its really a dive resort and many many divers were in and out of the water day and night....from our balcony we watched the cruise ships pull in and out each day...we are both strong swimmers so a couple of days we just jumped into the water at Sunset house..swam down to Eden Rock and had a wonderful snorkel.....saw all kinds of critters .. a huge green moray eel.... nurse sharks...tarpon and lots of other things.....we could have literally swum out to the cruise ships.. they were that close......Sunset House is within walking distance of Georgetown..we walked it twice..we also walked from SH to Smith Cove a couple of times.....we are going back to GC next February on the Grand Princess and plan to tender in...walk to Eden Rock and jump in..its that easy....we also enjoyed Cemetary Reef...there is a beach there but we had to drive to get to it...

MsJ,

About how long of a walk would you say it was from Sunset House to Georgetown? We're looking to do some shore diving and Sunset House keeps sounding better and better. Just trying to figure out if it would be more practical to drive or walk (we'll only have personal gear with us.)

Thanks!

MsJ,

About how long of a walk would you say it was from Sunset House to Georgetown? We're looking to do some shore diving and Sunset House keeps sounding better and better. Just trying to figure out if it would be more practical to drive or walk (we'll only have personal gear with us.)

Thanks!

http://sunsethouse.com/location_sunset.php

Based on the address, it is only a couple of blocks from Eden Rock Dive Center which itself is only a few blocks from the tender docks.

Sunset House 390 South Church Street, George Town

Eden Rock Diving Center 124 South Church Street George Town,

http://www.edenrockdive.com/index.html

Here is a pic looking towards Sunset House from the shore at Eden Rock Dive Center - I'm guessing Sunset House is where the boats are:

H52brEzi41QfRh3xC3XxCq665F1zd+j10300.jpg

Looking back toward tender docks. In between is Paradise Restaurant and Abanks Dive shack.

9A9NtwtLmjvHoVSTIfjCt1eWYNOFFbuX0300.jpg

Entrance at Paradise Restaurant/Abanks Dive shack:

DY7y3159-2mfYIxAPA42L7sNZfrW1xKI0300.jpg

TAFPY8petS6YGFVojJkrAu8vs7H-VZeY0300.jpg

jgXzOwHQBoA1z9+7xfRj3iNpLmLFPnn10300.jpg

Zydecocruiser,

Thanks! That was exactly the info I was looking for. I've been on both of their websites numerous times and have yet to find a reasonable map to tell distances between the tender docks and Sunset House.

I've been through your pictures several times. They really are beautiful!

Once again, thanks!

Archived