Riviera Christening Rescheduled

JimandStan

A new date for the Christening of the Riviera has been announced.

The ceremony will now be on Friday, May 11 in Barcelona.

No word yet on who the Godmother will be....

-but I've heard rumors ranging from Betty White to Sandra Bullock

Who would you pick?

Whoever can break the bottle of Champagne at the Christening...so all who travels on Oceania's Riviera will have a safe and wonderful journey.

Betty has my vote.

Thank you for the update JimandaStan...

Another vote for Betty White -- I think she won the popularity poll for Marina, too, so it she isn't picked this time, "O" may have to build another ship!

The scheduling of the Christening is yet another step towards lessening anxiety about further delays...

Just curious... What happens between the christening on 5/11 in Barcelona and the maiden voyage from Venice on 5/16? Okay, I know the obvious answer, the ship repositions from Barcelona to Venice. But beyond that. Are there guests on board? If so, who are they? TAs? I presume their are putting the ship through some tests and training the crew. But really, how do you train unless you have guests on board? Or are they cooking 10000 meals to train the kitchen staff, and throwing the food overboard? Does anybody here know what happens in the days pre-maiden voyage?

Just curious... What happens between the christening on 5/11 in Barcelona and the maiden voyage from Venice on 5/16? Okay, I know the obvious answer, the ship repositions from Barcelona to Venice. But beyond that. Are there guests on board? If so, who are they? TAs? I presume their are putting the ship through some tests and training the crew. But really, how do you train unless you have guests on board? Or are they cooking 10000 meals to train the kitchen staff, and throwing the food overboard? Does anybody here know what happens in the days pre-maiden voyage?

With the Marina the crew were onboard before the ship took on guests

They were cooking for the workers & the big brass who were living aboard while they put the finishing touches on the ship so I suspect they will do the same

As for the cruise to Venice I am guessing they will have select passengers,(by invitation only) friends & family as well as TA's

Just my guess, I am sure "those in the know" will comment ;)

With the Marina the crew were onboard before the ship took on guests

They were cooking for the workers & the big brass who were living aboard while they put the finishing touches on the ship so I suspect they will do the same

As for the cruise to Venice I am guessing they will have select passengers,(by invitation only) friends & family as well as TA's

Just my guess, I am sure "those in the know" will comment ;)

You are correct LHT

Jancruz1

Why wouldn't they do the christening during the first cruise with PAYING passengers? Those who will be sailing for free from Barcelona will be getting enough perks.

I suppose because there's too much chance of negative comments from paying guests? ;)

There's an article on SeaTrade Insider that says that the christening in Barcelona will take place during a christening cruise from Monte Carlo on May 6 to Venice by May 15. The christening cruise will most likely be a promotional cruise for industry professionals like travel agents and travel writers.

Too bad those of us who were booked on the May 6th cruise couldn't go along . . . here's another vote for Betty White.

Too bad those of us who were booked on the May 6th cruise couldn't go along . . . here's another vote for Betty White.

I vote for Ms, White for the simple reason that her compensation could be brilliantly conceived....

Something like on demand Owners Suites for her lifetime........

Betty White is represented by the William Morris Agency, Beverly Hills, CA

I was on the maiden voyage of the Seabourn Odyssey and the christening was on the first evening of the cruise. I never heard one paying passenger complain about a thing.

As for Betty White I agree completely. She is currently working with a very good friend of mine and there is not one person on the set who does not adore her.

SeatradeInsider reports a labor setttlement where the Riveria is being finally outfitted ... good news.

http://www.cruise-community.com/News/News-Headlines/Fincantieri-agrees-deal-on-Sestris-future-workforce-to-be-reduced.html

Thanks for posting... I liked this excerpt from the article: "...Sestri was unlikely to secure cruise ship orders for the forseeable future. Oceania Cruises' Riviera, nearing completion at the yard, will therefore be its last for some time... It would also work on ‘alternative’ marine projects, such as building small refuse ships or floating prisons..."

Hmmm, sounds like they might still be building cruise ships but just for another cruise line I know...:rolleyes:

Archived