How far is Hell and Tortuga Rum factory?

cruiseat50

We are booked on an excursion but we get back about 12:00 and wanted to know if we decided on a whim that we wanted to go to either/both of these could we do it? How far/long does it take to get to either/both? Would we just take a cab? How much would it cost?

TIA.:)

Hell is really easy to get to. We just jumped on a mini-bus for $2.50USD (each way) and it's only like 20min ride from the pier.

There are a few posts here and guides on the Internet on how to use the mini-buses but it's pretty straight forward.

From what I've read, there are places near the port that sell rum cake. I don't think you HAVE to go up near Hell to get it. I googled the bus system in George Town, and found that there is a bus to Hell. The area where you catch the buses is near the public library. I have some notes if you want them. I also went on Google Earth to see where the library was, as well as Heroes Square, and it looks to be a fairly easy walk from where the tenders drop off. I am going to George Town in 2 weeks and am planning to take the buses. Of course, there ARE taxis, also - just more expensive.

If your thinking the Rum Factory is a "factory" dont. Its a gift shop. They make & sell the tortuga rum cakes & other souvenirs. Btw I thought the cakes would be better or fresher but there the same as ones in gift shop on ship. Still good tho. What was really neat was the rum samples. They had a display of all sorts of rum flavors I never dreamed of. There in little glasses the size of thimbles. The banana mmmmm. But be aware if you want to sample when u go into shop head straight for the samples. You can browse afterwards. This area, as you can imagine, is where everyone in the store will congregate.

Oh one more thing. I heard theres a place by the library called Cayman Cupcakes by PJ. Sounds fantastic. Exotic tropical flavors. Wish I knew where it was in relation to the pier. If u go come back & give a review. My cruise isnt til May

If it's by the library, it's about a block or so inland from the port area. Easy walking distance.

• 4 months later...
Oh one more thing. I heard theres a place by the library called Cayman Cupcakes by PJ. Sounds fantastic. Exotic tropical flavors. Wish I knew where it was in relation to the pier. If u go come back & give a review. My cruise isnt til May

Cayman Cupcakes by PJ is in a building named the Duty Free Center located at the corner of Edward Street and Dr Roys Drive. If you are facing the library turn right and walk a block.

Archived