Barcelona Questions for Wheelchair/Scooter User

KathyHKidd

We are sailing out of Barcelona in April, and have never been there before. I'm looking for recommendations from other cruisers in terms of a hotel that is good, inexpensive, and convenient to the airport and the cruise port. Having never been there before, it would be nice to do some tourist type things on the afternoon before the cruise (we will just be there one afternoon and evening). This is complicated by the fact that I use a wheelchair, so access considerations are also important. Also, will language or currency conversion be an issue? Most tourist cities seem to accommodate English-speakers and US currency, but I wanted to be sure. Thanks!

Hi Kathy

I haven't been to Barcelona before so probably not alot of help for your question. We have a room booked for three nights at the Europark Hotel and from what I am reading it's central to alot of places.

Now, I have a post on here that over 50 people have read but no one knows the answer to apparently because there are no replies.

My mom is taking a mobility scooter over with us and the hotel indicated that she will need a transformer in order to plug it in to charge it. I assume this is the same as your wheel chair. Would you happen to know what kind of transformer we need to buy?? I know nothing about these things.

Any help is appreciated and you could check out the Europark and see what you think, it has excellent reviews on Trip Advisor!

We are also sailing out in April on the 12th on the Jade, which one are you on?

Janice

Hi, sweets! We're going to be on the Celebrity Solstice, so I'm afraid we're going to be passing like ships in the night!

What I am guessing about the transformer is that Europe does not use the same kind of electricity we do. Anything you plug in, from a shaver or a hairdryer to a scooter, needs some kind of adapter to act as a bridge between whatever you plug in and the European wall socket. The place where you purchased your scooter should be able to sell one to you, or at least tell you where to buy one.

I don't know how long your scooter takes between charges. If your scooter is fully charged before you leave home, you may not even need to charge it in Barcelona. I know I can go several days between charges with my Pride Victory. Of course, you may not want to take the chance.

Hope you have fun on your cruise. Thanks for responding to my post.

Kathy

HI,

I am not sure where you have sailed?

You cannot use USA currency in any of the European countries! Their currency is the euro. You can use your USA credit card to pay for things or you can withdraw euros from an ATM with your USA ATM card.

You need to inform all your banks that you are traveling or they will block your usage of the cards.

These web sites may help you:

http://www.accessiblebarcelona.com/

http://www.barcelonaturisme.com/English/_

I have stayed at the Onix Rambla Hotel which says it is accessible.

It is located just above Placa Catalunya , the city center and on a beautiful pedestrian boulevard(rambla) but NOT "Las Ramblas" which is tourist central.

Any hotel in that area is central and taxis from the airport will be about 30euro depending on the amt. of luggage you have in the trunk. It only takes about 30min. with no traffic. The port is another easy taxi ride.

None of the hotels in the city have free shuttles.

Thanks for your response. My husband wrote that letter, and I was well aware of the currency deal but he wasn't. I will send him your response, and now he will be too. I especially appreciate the links you sent. THAT was something I didn't have on hand!

Kathy

It has been a number of years since I was in Barcelona with my husband, a wheelchair user, so I do not remember the names of the hotels we used, both of which were within a couple of blocks of Catalunya Square. I would check the disabled board for suggestions.

However I can tell you that Barcelona was the most accessible city we visited in Europe, primarily because they hosted the Special Olympics.

If you stay near the Ramblas between Catalunya Sq and the Old Port, you should be able to get around fairly easily. In that area, most sidewalks have curb cuts and are wide enough for a wheelchair. Most museums and sites of interest are accessible. And the hop on-hop off buses have ramps.

Some exceptions (unless they have changed things.) You can visit the museum area in the Gaudi apartments, but not the roof where the sculptures are. You can also visit the apartments there, but the elevator doors were a little tight. And the Poble Espanol was not accessible.

Archived