Just off the Summit?

Mathguy42

We were on the February 4th sailing of the Summit. I thought the ship was fantastic. All of the bedding, carpet, draperies in our stateroom were new. Everything, for the most part, in the whole ship looked shiny and new to me. I thinkyou would have to be looking awfully close to find the flaws. I thought the food was great. I usually went with the Chef's suggestion and was never disappointed. I loved Bistro on Five and Cafe El Bachio. We found the service to be great. I would put some pictures on here if I could figure out how. The seating in all of the venues were new, the carpet throughout the ship looked new. I absolutely loved the Summit.

We were on the February 4th sailing of the Summit. I thought the ship was fantastic. All of the bedding, carpet, draperies in our stateroom were new. Everything, for the most part, in the whole ship looked shiny and new to me. I thinkyou would have to be looking awfully close to find the flaws. I thought the food was great. I usually went with the Chef's suggestion and was never disappointed. I loved Bistro on Five and Cafe El Bachio. We found the service to be great. I would put some pictures on here if I could figure out how. The seating in all of the venues were new, the carpet throughout the ship looked new. I absolutely loved the Summit.

That's wonderful to hear. I loved Cova Cafe and it's sounds like Cafe al Bacio is even better.

HI CINWAY,

Great to hear. And yes would love to see your photos... I won't be on the Summit for quite some time (January 2013) but would love to see what she looks like now as I've seen lots of photos from BEFORE the Dry-Dock.

Lol, nothing like a Before & After when it comes to a "make over"

As for posting photos...

I can help you with posting thumbnails... (the smaller photos)

Those you can do it when you type in a reply... below the data entry box... you'll find another set of info... look for MANAGE ATTACHMENTS... click on that.

Then you can UPLOAD pics from your computer onto CC (use the BROWSE Button to find the pic you want)

It really is pretty easy.

Lol, that one I've figured out... still haven't managed though to post the BIG BIG pics within replies like some others are able to. I sooooo need to figure that out next.

Hope this info is (somwhat) helpful,

Cheers!

HI JEALOUSBEE,

Welcome to Cruise Critic... and Aboard the CC CELEBRITY BOARD !!

Your best place for info on your upcoming cruise is to post directly with the ROLL CALL for your "specific" sailing date.

You can find the SUMMIT ROLL CALL BOARD here = http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=286

Roll Calls are great... a wonderful way to "connect" with fellow passengers BEFORE and During your Cruise... and a fun way to spend Sail-Away.

Roll Calls also share great info... and valuable TIPS, including ways to S$AVE Money (share taxis, private shore excursions etc)

Check it out.

And be sure to ask on the Roll Call about the Celebrity Connections "Meet & Mingle" event for your Sailing as well... you register directly with Celebrity and they throw a small party for CC members... typically you get to meet some officers, and have the chance to get the inside track on some "perks" for CC Members (like Ship Tours or a Bridge Sail-Away)

Enjoy!

Hope this is helpful,

Cheers!

Thank you soooo much Sloop-JohnB. I really appreciate your inputs. Have a great day!!

We hope to be boarding the summit in about 3 hours! Hope to be posting some pictures "blog style" like "Library Lady" does. We set up a photo bucket account and think we know what we are doing. Sandy, I lived for your postings about a year ago before out first Summit cruise. We have an aft balcony, although nothing could beat the corner FOV we somehow snagged last year! I hope to be lunching at bistro today with a nicely chilled Chardonnay (with my bev. Package, of course!) good-bye airport Best Western (a clean quiet room at the ready at 1 am was all we needed!) Hello Celebrity! Linda

We hope to be boarding the summit in about 3 hours! Hope to be posting some pictures "blog style" like "Library Lady" does. We set up a photo bucket account and think we know what we are doing. Sandy, I lived for your postings about a year ago before out first Summit cruise. We have an aft balcony, although nothing could beat the corner FOV we somehow snagged last year! I hope to be lunching at bistro today with a nicely chilled Chardonnay (with my bev. Package, of course!) good-bye airport Best Western (a clean quiet room at the ready at 1 am was all we needed!) Hello Celebrity! Linda

How great! Wishing you a safe and happy journey!!!!

I'm curious to know what room you were in? Did you take any pictures?

HI LJK76,

Now this is AWESOME news.

Looking forward to all you have to share and tell us...

And BTW there is always the TEST BOARD here on CC if you need to double-check how anything will post... it came in handy when I was doing the 2012 Celebrity Wine Lists.

Enjoy your cruise !!

:D

Cheers!

Good for you Linda! Have a wonderful trip and I will be looking forward to your posts. Would you please take some photos (and use your beverage package;) in Michaels.

Bon Voyage!

HI CINWAY,

Great to hear. And yes would love to see your photos... I won't be on the Summit for quite some time (January 2013) but would love to see what she looks like now as I've seen lots of photos from BEFORE the Dry-Dock.

Lol, nothing like a Before & After when it comes to a "make over"

As for posting photos...

I can help you with posting thumbnails... (the smaller photos)

Those you can do it when you type in a reply... below the data entry box... you'll find another set of info... look for MANAGE ATTACHMENTS... click on that.

Then you can UPLOAD pics from your computer onto CC (use the BROWSE Button to find the pic you want)

It really is pretty easy.

Lol, that one I've figured out... still haven't managed though to post the BIG BIG pics within replies like some others are able to. I sooooo need to figure that out next.

Hope this info is (somwhat) helpful,

Cheers!

Hey SLOOP,

Which Jan 2103 sailing are you on? (you should update your countdown clock!)

I agree that the main changes were adding the new specialty restaurants, which I would never use and didn't investigate. The carpet and draperies in my room were new and my new bedding was the most comfortable I've had in 13 cruises. I walked through the Solarium to get to the main pool area. Didn't notice defective signs. Carpeting seemed new and much of the furniture in the night clubs looked new. The only problem that irritated me was clogging of the toilets in public restrooms a couple of times and the accompanying odor, although temporary. Our room toilet did not clog, but on departure day the odor was strong in our hallway as we were leaving. We smelled cigarette smoke in the hallways and we think it might have come from the crew area. I liked that the smoking on the pool deck has been moved to a small corner of the port side and not the whole side. That corner and the corresponding one on the other side have new wicker furniture with thick cushions, very comfortable. I used the non-smoking corner to sit and read while watching out for empty lounge chairs. When I saw a man take everything off his chair and leave, I was there in less than 5 seconds, lol.

I agree with CinWay--I honestly didn't see signs of wear. This was my 4th cruise on Summit and she never looked better. The food, service and shows were really great, as I always expect from Celebrity.

1/02 Explorer E. Carib. 1/03 Explorer W. Carib. 8/03 Summit Alaska cruise/tour

2/04 Adventure S. Carib. 2/05 Galaxy PC 6/06 Jewel OS Brit. Isles/Nor. Fjords

1/07 Mercury Mex. Riv. 1/08 Mercury Aust/NZ 1/09 Galaxy S. Carib.

6/09 Summit Classical Med. 1/11 Summit S. Carib. 6/11 Constellation Scand/Russia

1/12 Summit S. Carib. 8/12 Millennium Alaska cruise/tour

Nice to see a testimonial from one our own On the X blog - Anne, aka cruiseacat. I certainly would put more stock in her comments than those of the "guest reporter.". We sailed with Anne on Summit, lovely lady!! can't wait to read a full report from you Anne!

Hi Sandi,

Thanks so much for the nice comments!! I am currently buried in a pile of laundry, but will be happy to answer any questions. I am afraid that the place I know you have a lot of interest in, Michael's Club, is the one venue I did not even walk into. So I cannot tell you anything about it's new look. Hopefully, you will find out for yourself soon. :)

Anne

Looking forward to seeing pics of the refurbishment, we are sailing March 31st from San Juan...would love to hear from anyone who is on the same cruise, concerns, and any advise on excursions!

Welcome to Cruise Critic. My husband and I will be sailing with you. I believe I've seen you on the Roll Call? If not, you can sign up there for the Connections meet and greet. We recommend Cosol tours in St. Lucia, the ferry to St. John's in St. Thomas, a trip to Devil's Gate via a tour guide/boat in Antigua, Bioluminescent Bay in San Juan, and swimming with the turtles in Barbados (we took a public bus and swam out to the turtles for free). Not sure about St. Maarten as we've only been there once, and all we did was shop :) This time, we're leaning towards touring both sides of the island and a beach stop. We're only weeks away!!

Sean and Karen

Hi Sandi,

Thanks so much for the nice comments!! I am currently buried in a pile of laundry, but will be happy to answer any questions. I am afraid that the place I know you have a lot of interest in, Michael's Club, is the one venue I did not even walk into. So I cannot tell you anything about it's new look. Hopefully, you will find out for yourself soon. :)

Anne

Hi Anne,

Nice to hear from you! It's Scott that's most interested in Michaels (this will be his birthday cruise) and I'm sure it will be fantastic. Don't think he's too interested in the furnishings, just the beer list:p

As you are such a frequent sailer, I would value your opinion of the Solsticization....I'm hoping Summit has retained its wonderful service and ambiance with the added attraction of some of my favorite Sclass features (such as Blu, Qsine and Bistro on Five). I don't particularly care if. Worn-out signs were replaced, just as the rust in the balconies didn't bother me either.

Embarkation

We were a bit concerned when we weren't even into the terminal at noon...had the dreaded Noro hit the Summit? False alarm, though we never found out about the source of the delay. We were near the front of the line, though, quickly through security and enjoying out first sip of champagne about 12:30.

Loved the look of the new Martini Bar on 4, finished our drinks, and went on to explore the changes.

683dde24.jpg

We'd been on the Summit exactly a year ago, and then on again to Bermuda in August, so we felt we really knew the "old" Summit. We LOVE the changes...everything we love about the Summit (size, layout, outstanding crew) with the best of the Solstice we had sailed in 2009 when she was brand new. OK, the Solstice bathrooms are superior, no doubt. But the upgraded and new decor and beds, combined with the better M class storage, still wins for us.

We lunched in Bistro on 5 and it was fabulous...Tuscan crepe for myself, a steak crepe for my husband, amazing desert crepes. We were the only ones there! Talk about amazing service. Everyone came to chat us up, the manager, the chef, and our two amazing waitresses. One heard we had to increase our party size in Qsine for Monday night and insisted on calling up herself to change our reservation. For $10, lunch was so very worth it. We plan on eating there again this week.

580b3d25.jpg

Next door was the new Cellar Masters, with a great wine by the glass menu, a great feature for wine lovers with the drink package.

d2588007.jpg

Little things we noted while exploring...new blue pool towels, although the old ones are still in circulation. New lounge chair coverings on the strap lounges on the pool deck, more water resistant I'd think. A few new areas of fun seating on the pool deck. But I bet a girl has to be sunning very early to snag one...and I am not a chair hog! Overall the pool area looked fresher. The T pool is still wonderful, the teak lounges have been revarnished yet again.

Revelations is quite smaller, but more attractively designed, with a crisp blue and mocha color scheme, no more strange hanging rags from above, some of you will know what I mean.

a538b7c7.jpg

Cafe Al Biaco compares favorably to Cova Cafe, has a bit more seating, and seems to be featuring entertainment every night, and still has those almond croissants of which I am very fond! Lovely fresh flower arrangements on every table.

19464a3c.jpg

We had a good experience, as expected, with Select dining. We had an after dinner drink in Revelations, and the bartender said he really enjoyed his three weeks during the refurb. All of the staff seems very proud and excited about the changes, and it only seems to have reenergized what was already an outstanding staff.

After the traditional morning cappuccino we eventually moved on to eggs Benedict in the buffet. We had the CC connections gathering at 10:30, enjoyed meeting some of our online friends, and then enjoyed some sunning.

A note about our aft balcony on deck nine, for those future cruisers dong a search on cabin 9160. Last year we were in 9156, a corner FOV. Very little noise from above. However, there is more scraping and such above this more central spot to the aft bar. No issue with smoke however. The noise might bother some, although my husband is napping now!

56598925.jpg

edfe16b2.jpg

Hope to post more updates during the week. We are snorkeling with the turtles tomorrow, and eating in Qsine that evening, then cheering on some CC friends in the Newlywed game later that night. Off for more sunshine and explorations!

Hi Anne,

Nice to hear from you! It's Scott that's most interested in Michaels (this will be his birthday cruise) and I'm sure it will be fantastic. Don't think he's too interested in the furnishings, just the beer list:p

As you are such a frequent sailer, I would value your opinion of the Solsticization....I'm hoping Summit has retained its wonderful service and ambiance with the added attraction of some of my favorite Sclass features (such as Blu, Qsine and Bistro on Five). I don't particularly care if. Worn-out signs were replaced, just as the rust in the balconies didn't bother me either.

Hi Sandi,

Please do not be concerned in the least. The Summit, with the best of the S class additions, is still the same warm ship, with the same great service and ambiance. I am just so impressed that they managed to pull this off. My greatest fear was that they would destroy the "feel" of the M class, and this did not happen IMO.

The only down side for me, was that they did not redo the showers. The tiles are in such need of replacement in some of the cabins. Re-caulking just was not enough. A very small gripe indeed.

Hope you and Scott have a great time.

Anne

Archived