Just off the Summit?

Mathguy42

We were off last Saturday and I wrote a review a few days ago. It still hasn't been published though. Rather than rehashing the whole thing though, I guess it would be easier to respond to specific questions...

However, in general, the Solsticization really only had an effect for those seeking specialty restaurants. Other areas of the ship retained old and worn our signs. Having said that, we love Summit and I'll be happy to respond to anything from embarkation to debarkation.

We were off last Saturday and I wrote a review a few days ago. It still hasn't been published though. Rather than rehashing the whole thing though, I guess it would be easier to respond to specific questions...

However, in general, the Solsticization really only had an effect for those seeking specialty restaurants. Other areas of the ship retained old and worn our signs. Having said that, we love Summit and I'll be happy to respond to anything from embarkation to debarkation.

Really? Wow my TA told me that Celebrity flew him and some other TA to tour the Summit during its Solsticization. He said it looked like a brand new ship. Hmmmm interesting!

Really? Wow my TA told me that Celebrity flew him and some other TA to tour the Summit during its Solsticization. He said it looked like a brand new ship. Hmmmm interesting!

Just my observations... we love the T-Pool. Yet, the signs there were old and worn out, one being almost unreadable. They certainly had not been replaced. Same was true in our cabin bathroom... old and worn out signs.

It just seemed the major emphasis was on adding the specialty restaurants and ignoring the simple cosmetic replacements which the average cruiser would note. We also noticed the painting was done poorly in some areas.

Just my observations... we love the T-Pool. Yet, the signs there were old and worn out, one being almost unreadable. They certainly had not been replaced. Same was true in our cabin bathroom... old and worn out signs.

It just seemed the major emphasis was on adding the specialty restaurants and ignoring the simple cosmetic replacements which the average cruiser would note. We also noticed the painting was done poorly in some areas.

Yea that is very odd those small things wouldnt be taken care of.

How was the food?

Did you eat in the specialty restaurants? If so how were they?

We are taking our kids again this May and were contemplating whether or not to splurge one evening for us to eat in Qusine.

I thought I read stateroom carpets/matresses/bedding and shower curtains were replaced. How were those items?

I do agree it seems like the refurbishment was emphasizing on AQ Class staterooms and speciality restaurants instead of general updating.

Based on photos of Infinity post refurb... it looked like all seats in the theater were replaced. Did you notice that on the Summit?

Yea that is very odd those small things wouldnt be taken care of.

How was the food?

Did you eat in the specialty restaurants? If so how were they?

We are taking our kids again this May and were contemplating whether or not to splurge one evening for us to eat in Qusine.

Let me say that Select Dining worked beautifully! We had been assigned a table for two right by the galley entrance. The Maitre D' agreed that this was a bad location and suggested Select Dining. We tried it and were exceeding pleased.

We arrived at various times and never had a wait. The first night we had a really nice waiter (Sarita) and requested him for the rest of the cruise. No problems. We would certainly do Select Dining again.

The food ranged from great (onion soup, escargots, petite filet mignon) to inedible (beef ragout). Kudos also to the Maitre D' who was the hardest working and most personable Maitre D' we have ever had.

We didn't eat in a specialty restaurant but were excited and happy to be invited to eat with the Safety Officer one night. It was a lot of fun and my sense is that he is a rising star on Celebrity.

Let me say that Select Dining worked beautifully! We had been assigned a table for two right by the galley entrance. The Maitre D' agreed that this was a bad location and suggested Select Dining. We tried it and were exceeding pleased.

We arrived at various times and never had a wait. The first night we had a really nice waiter (Sarita) and requested him for the rest of the cruise. No problems. We would certainly do Select Dining again.

The food ranged from great (onion soup, escargots, petite filet mignon) to inedible (beef ragout). Kudos also to the Maitre D' who was the hardest working and most personable Maitre D' we have ever had.

We didn't eat in a specialty restaurant but were excited and happy to be invited to eat with the Safety Officer one night. It was a lot of fun and my sense is that he is a rising star on Celebrity.

Awesome! Well glad to hear the food was delish and the Maitre'd was great. Thanks for the info. Looking forward to our sailing :)

I thought I read stateroom carpets/matresses/bedding and shower curtains were replaced. How were those items?

I do agree it seems like the refurbishment was emphasizing on AQ Class staterooms and speciality restaurants instead of general updating.

Based on photos of Infinity post refurb... it looked like all seats in the theater were replaced. Did you notice that on the Summit?

Gotta be honest... didn't notice the bedding and shower curtains. The beds and bedding were fine. They probably also replaced the carpeting since that is one item that does show the wear.

The seats in the theatre were comfortable. Were they new? I have no idea. We last sailed on Summit a year ago and my wife tells me I am not very observant:)

Anyone been in one of the new AQ cabins on deck 11? Would really like to hear what poeple think of the location and the rooms. Thanks

TO TOMATO53,

Haven't seen much todate... and we too are anxious to hear info and see pics as we have a sailing booked as well.

Infact, things have been really S-LLLL-O-W when it comes to getting info about the Summit's Solsticization both while she was in Dry-Dock and now that she is out sailing again.

Hopefully, a "keener" will be on her soon and post lots of great photos and info.

Until then...

Have you seen the photos that TRUBADUR posted in a recent topic ??

At least they show Deck 11 and the NEW Cabins at the aft of the ship overlooking the wake and their "set up"

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1570790

Hope this is helpful,

Cheers!

We're going on summit march 3 and have a suite and plan on taking plenty of videos and pics for everyone. It's like the summit got refurbished and no one with a camera went on it

TO CT127,

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you.

Your words say it all... it really is kind of eerie isn't it ???

First no Celebrity Blog (as promised)... THAT WAS A HUGE DISAPPPOINTMENT !!

Then not much in the way of pictures... so few from either the Bahamas in Dry Dock, or San Juan (where she sailed from) or even any of the Ports of Call.

And now hardly any Reviews, and even fewer photos.

The Summit is on her 3rd Sailing (soon to be 4th) and so little info, its like she's disappeared into the Bermuda Triangle...

Cheers!

TO TOMATO53,

Haven't seen much todate... and we too are anxious to hear info and see pics as we have a sailing booked as well.

Infact, things have been really S-LLLL-O-W when it comes to getting info about the Summit's Solsticization both while she was in Dry-Dock and now that she is out sailing again.

Hopefully, a "keener" will be on her soon and post lots of great photos and info.

Until then...

At least they show Deck 11 and the NEW Cabins at the aft of the ship overlooking the wake and their "set up"

Hope this is helpful,

Cheers!

What or who is a "keener"?

I Googled it. The poster is Canadian. The Google responses were that Keener is a Canadian slang term. Something about overly studious folks.

This popped up too:

keener comparative of keen (Adjective)

Adjective:

Having or showing eagerness or enthusiasm.

Interested in or attracted by (someone or something).

I think it got lost in (my) translation. :rolleyes:

I Googled it. The poster is Canadian. The Google responses were that Keener is a Canadian slang term. Something about overly studious folks.

This popped up too:

keener comparative of keen (Adjective)

Adjective:

Having or showing eagerness or enthusiasm.

Interested in or attracted by (someone or something).

I think it got lost in (my) translation. :rolleyes:

Lol, MR JULIUS got it right...

We eagerly await someone who has some (or more specifically an OVER ABUNDANCE) of enthusiasm about the Summit and will bring us up to date... take lots of photos etc.

Cheers!

Just got off the ship on the 11th. First time on Summit after Solstice last winter. Great work on interiors, in my opinion, and venues nicely mirrored Solstice (Martini, Crush, Bistro, Cellar, Theater, Micheal's, etc all looked like they had new carpeting, furniture, lighting). Felt all new and squeaky clean inside to me. Room with same earth-toned, soothing carpet, drapes, bedspreads as on Solstice. But, a little disappointed in lack of outside work completion. Painting needed in quite a few areas, with a few rust spots prominent on parts of balcony railing, around balcony doors, etc. Still needing some paint around areas like where new Celeb suite balconies added. Back section cordoned off as they were placing flooring and sanding(?) for most of the trip the deck above new Aqua Class section (one of those rotating buffers used to scrub floors). Assume not that great for people in the cabins below. Think there were at least some units occupied. Looked like a couple of guests, and not workers, going into a couple of the rooms when I walked by. Glanced in one when open and being cleaned(?), and looked identical to the Concierge room we were in. Didn't get a pic though (sorry). Food was fantastic in MDR on Select. Ask for Percy and Pinto! Every meal a treat. And I thought Blu from last sailing was going to be hard to beat. And you really should try QSine. An experience like no other. Journeyed to I don't know how many different lands with amazing foods presented in whimsical boxes and towers and the like. Waiters were as entertaining as the food presentation. All in all, a great cruise, even though some work still to be done. Noted some painters hanging under the overhang when we boarded and some painting while at ports & workers in various areas outside (like promenade) doing things (but not intrusive or distracting overall). By the looks of it, should be all wrapped up in next 2-3 weeks I would think. Would be nice to think that all outside areas that looked as though they were still a work in progress will be taken care of and quickly. Only heard one machine noise once inside near Guest Relations for a brief period as someone was working on the glass elevator. Oh yeah, one nice little touch/addition... in bathroom, they took away box hair dryer and put up a small picture that lights up from behind and serves as a night light for bathroom when main light is off (handheld dryer provided in closet). Tried to include some room pics of our room just now, but got error message about security token missing. Will try again later. Happy sailing to those headed out on her soon...

Lol, MR JULIUS got it right...

We eagerly await someone who has some (or more specifically an OVER ABUNDANCE) of enthusiasm about the Summit and will bring us up to date... take lots of photos etc.

Cheers!

Thank you; and, I suspect that you will reach the 5000 Club in record time. This will be quite an accomplishment for someone who, as of this date, has only cruised Celebrity once.

TO TRAVLINDOC,

Thank you soooo much for your Review / Update... much appreciated !!

Truly some of the first positive things we've seen...

You have had a similar experience to mine just you are 1 Year ahead of me... (I just got off the Solstice, and will be on the Summit next January)

So good to hear it from that same perspective... I was beginning to fear that I'd be sorely disappointed in the ship (Cabins - Furnishings etc)...

So your info is much appreciated.

Thanks again,

Cheers!

PS... Hopefully you can figure out how to post the photos, and we can learn even more (as they say a pic is worth a 1000 words)

Just got off the ship on the 11th. First time on Summit after Solstice last winter. Great work on interiors, in my opinion, and venues nicely mirrored Solstice (Martini, Crush, Bistro, Cellar, Theater, Micheal's, etc all looked like they had new carpeting, furniture, lighting). Felt all new and squeaky clean inside to me. Room with same earth-toned, soothing carpet, drapes, bedspreads as on Solstice. But, a little disappointed in lack of outside work completion. Painting needed in quite a few areas, with a few rust spots prominent on parts of balcony railing, around balcony doors, etc. Still needing some paint around areas like where new Celeb suite balconies added. Back section cordoned off as they were placing flooring and sanding(?) for most of the trip the deck above new Aqua Class section (one of those rotating buffers used to scrub floors). Assume not that great for people in the cabins below. Think there were at least some units occupied. Looked like a couple of guests, and not workers, going into a couple of the rooms when I walked by. Glanced in one when open and being cleaned(?), and looked identical to the Concierge room we were in. Didn't get a pic though (sorry). Food was fantastic in MDR on Select. Ask for Percy and Pinto! Every meal a treat. And I thought Blu from last sailing was going to be hard to beat. And you really should try QSine. An experience like no other. Journeyed to I don't know how many different lands with amazing foods presented in whimsical boxes and towers and the like. Waiters were as entertaining as the food presentation. All in all, a great cruise, even though some work still to be done. Noted some painters hanging under the overhang when we boarded and some painting while at ports & workers in various areas outside (like promenade) doing things (but not intrusive or distracting overall). By the looks of it, should be all wrapped up in next 2-3 weeks I would think. Would be nice to think that all outside areas that looked as though they were still a work in progress will be taken care of and quickly. Only heard one machine noise once inside near Guest Relations for a brief period as someone was working on the glass elevator. Oh yeah, one nice little touch/addition... in bathroom, they took away box hair dryer and put up a small picture that lights up from behind and serves as a night light for bathroom when main light is off (handheld dryer provided in closet). Tried to include some room pics of our room just now, but got error message about security token missing. Will try again later. Happy sailing to those headed out on her soon...

Thanks for filling us in! Hope you can get some of your photos posted. We loved Qsine on Eclipse and have it booked for DHs birthday dinner on Summit.

Did you visit Michaels Club? How was the entertainment on board?

You're welcome, Sloop. Will try my photos again tomorrow, and waiting on a CD from travlin companions who took a lot more photos than I did this trip. LL19, Michael's was really comfortable (like a cozy den at home). Stopped there for a beer once. Was one of the busy spots on Super Bowl Sunday. Only ended up seeing 3 of the theater shows, but all were great productions with same, great troupe of singers and dancers (5 main singers and about 10 dancers/background singers). Great voices & choreography. One musical about Sirens and Pirates that both old and young enjoyed. Other two productions were song and dance numbers through the ages... everything from Elvis and Jerry Lee to Britney and Lady G. What I remember was that they all kept going and going and going on the stage for the entire hour. Don't know how they had the stamina. Standing ovations for all 3 shows. Missed the comedian night and the impressionist singer night, but I heard from others that both shows were very good. And orchestra was as pitch perfect as the singers. Various instrumentalists at other spots. Great country guitar player/singer near Crush one night. Soothing violin and accordion near Bacio another. Latin group in Rendezvous almost every night. Never a dull moment...

TO TOMATO53,

Until then...

Hope this is helpful,

Cheers!

: )) Cheers, man!

Some more - SJU, 02.04.2012 (source: travelpod):

1.1329311195.aboard-celebrity-summit.jpg

1.1329311195.7-aboard-celebrity-summit.jpg

1.1329311195.16-aboard-celebrity-summit.jpg Library 4 a special lady : )

1.1329311195.12-aboard-celebrity-summit.jpg

1.1329311195.13-aboard-celebrity-summit.jpg

1.1329311195.14-aboard-celebrity-summit.jpg

Archived