Just off the Summit?

Mathguy42

The entertainment on Summit Feb.4-11 was wonderful. The G-rated comedian, Fred Klett, was one of the funniest ones I've seen. The other one I love is Jeannie Robertson, who doesn't do cruise ships. Their humor is totally clean, but side-splitting. Check them both out on YouTube.

The other act was Paul Tanner, who did impressions of other singers and was spot on with all of them. Fred and Paul did a half hour each for the opening night and a full hour on subsequent nights. The singers and dancers did 3 production shows and were fabulous, as usual. (To each, his or her own, lol) The aerialists did a mini-show within the production shows and were amazing. There was no show on Super Bowl Sunday.

After Fred's full show (Wednesday) we went up to Revelations for the Dancing with the Stripes. (as opposed to Dancing with the Stars) The Stripes are the officers who dance with passengers in a contest. The judges for the preliminary rounds were two officers and Fred Klett. Needless to say the comments after each round were hilarious. The audience chose the winners in the final round with our applause and it was a tie. Then some of the dancers came in and demonstrated dances to kick off the Sizzle Interactive Dance Party--very entertaining. I got a great action shot of the girl dancers being flipped upside down and it's not blurry!

The Acapella quartet, Those Guys, and the party band, Magnitude, were very good.

All in all a fun cruise!

RE: Michaels Club is now a sports bar. I miss the piano bar. Last Summer on Constellation, Richard Rubin was the pianist and did a very entertaining Name That Tune every night at 8, between dinner seatings--Loved it!

The entertainment on Summit Feb.4-11 was wonderful. The G-rated comedian, Fred Klett, was one of the funniest ones I've seen. The other one I love is Jeannie Robertson, who doesn't do cruise ships. Their humor is totally clean, but side-splitting. Check them both out on YouTube.

The other act was Paul Tanner, who did impressions of other singers and was spot on with all of them. Fred and Paul did a half hour each for the opening night and a full hour on subsequent nights. The singers and dancers did 3 production shows and were fabulous, as usual. (To each, his or her own, lol) The aerialists did a mini-show within the production shows and were amazing.

We were on the same cruise and I totally agree about Fred Klett. I find most cruise ship comedians to be of poor quality, depending on obscenities to evoke schoolboy laughter.

Fred was different and probably the best I have seen. Excellent!

Paul Tanner was o.k. if you like that kind of thing. For me, it seemed like I had seen this before and it was kind of cookie cutter.

I also agree about the singers, dancers and aerialists. Again, they were really good. After the show, I got to speak with the female aerialist. I had guessed they were Central or Eastern European, so was surprised to learn they were French. They were one of the highlights!

I like any singing act with familiar songs I can identify with.

If you liked Fred, check out Jeannie Robertson. I wish she did cruise ships. I might have to go on her website and suggest it, lol. I saw her in person twice last April. I have 3 of her CDs to play in my van. The only problem is they are so funny I find myself draped over the steering wheel laughing so hard I'm afraid of causing an accident. ;)

Having sung in choirs since 7th grade I am always glad to hear good harmony and Those Guys were very good. Last summer on Constellation on of the acapella quartet fell onboard and broke his leg. He had to go back to Stockholm, his home and one of our ports, for treatment. So the 2nd half of the cruise the rest became a trio, but still sounded good.

We sailed on Feb 11. The ship looks great in spite of some minor touches of old age, such worn varnish on wood railings. Yes, the painters were still at work but it did not pose any problem. The new beds are very comfortable.

Definitely try Qsine if you like fun semi-adventurous dining. I do not recall anything wrong with the signs but I probably did not look at them.

For some reason I need some Security Tokens in order to upload photos.

Well, some interesting comments, and obviuosly, everyone sees things differently. We are just off of the Silhouette, and booked our next cruise on Summit bc we wanted to return to the traditional Celebrity experience we enjoyed in the past on Connie and Century. So now I find out that Summit has been "Solstice-cized." Sigh.

One of the things we found off-putting this last cruise is that it seemed (to us, anyway, and to others with whom we've spoken) that the over-emphasis on the specialty restaurants has diminished the quality of the food and service in the main dining room -- which was always a Celebrity strength. I guess we will have to see if this is system wide....

But I must say that the entertainment on our recent Silhouette cruise was absolutely the best we have experienced in 15 years of cruising. Whether large venue or small, it was uniformly superb. Maybe we'll be lucky and the same entertainers we enjoyed on our recent cruise will have shifted over to Summit by May.....

Thank you for the update, we had some concerns with the refurbishment.

Would you be able to tell me when the first formal night occurs - we would like to attend during our trip but also want to book the Normandie ahead...

I have long relied on CC to guide my cruise planning but I think this is only my second posting. My DH and I just returned from a week on the Summit. We brought 2 friends who have never cruised before and selected this cruise because of the port intensity (less chance of seasickness for someone who doesn't know if they have sea legs) and the fact that we have traveled Summit twice before and LOVED it. This trip lived up to all expectations and resulted in 2 new HUGE cruise fans. They have already booked their next cruise on a Celebrity ship (next time it will be the Silhouette for them). I will post a full review but wanted to highlight a few things for those wondering about the impact of the recent drydock.

1. The ship looked terrific. They managed to add Solstice style while maintaining the grace and elegance of the Millie class ship. My DH and I are very forgiving so while there may have been rough edges to the painting and outdoor fixtures we did not view this as a significant issue in the aesthetics of the ship.
  2. Of note - we were in Cabin 8098 and despite the "Obstructed View" warning on the Celebrity website there was NO obstruction.
  3. We love the Normandy and ate there one night. Was fabulous. We don't have a great resource for good french food in our rural MA community so we love to indulge at the Normandy. We tried Bistro on 5 and loved it so much we went back a second time. We tried Q-sine and I fully anticipated a gimmicky place that would be good for a one time try but we were very surprised. Q-sine was terrific. We loved the ambiance, service, quirky styling and fantastic food...cannot wait to go back and try some different things.
  4. The Martini bar was terrific. Very fun and delicious. Special mention goes to Boontham (Boom Boom) for being attentive, a showman and a master mixologist.
  5. Service in all areas remains exceptional. Celebrity (and notably the Summit) knows how to keep the crew happy because they certainly exude that happiness in engaging the guests.
  6. Entertainment - Other than the comedian (who was OUTSTANDING) we were not thrilled with any of the entertainment. Singers and dancers in the production numbers are very talented but their talent was often wasted in campy (at best) productions. The music throughout the ship was louder than we remember and often did not fit the style and grace of the ship. Different tastes need to be accounted for but I find it unlikely that rap and r&b are most people want to hear in almost every venue during the day. Maybe DH and I are just getting crotchety as we age but we wished for the return of quiet piano music in Michael's, classical music in Bistro on Five and the Cellar Masters and dance music (not just salsa) in the Rendevous lounge... and how about leaving the beloved classics alone and not updating them with excessive vocal "styling". Somewhere Over the Rainbow should at least be recognizable.

Okay, so I wrote more than I intended and that last item about entertainment may lead you to believe that we were unhappy, and that really couldn't be further from the truth. It was a fabulous cruise and we cannot wait for the next one. Bon Voyage to you future Summit cruisers.

Hi there - I've tried again - no luck with the photos - something about security token missing. If anyone would like any copies of my photos of the Summit, you can send me your email and I'd be happy to share!!

Hi CinWay:

You must be exhausted from emailing photos :).

If you can email them to me, I will post them here on the boards to save you some time ;).

elena7cc@yahoo.com

Hi CinWay:

You must be exhausted from emailing photos :).

If you can email them to me, I will post them here on the boards to save you some time ;).

elena7cc@yahoo.com

I was wondering how many "me too's" it was going to take for someone to get the pics, then post them here for everyone. Thank you for your offer.

I look forward to seeing them...here :)

EDIT:

Notwithstanding the fact that you should never put your Email address on any board or website because the automated spambots cull websites looking for Email addresses. That's why you will see...whatever at something dot com used to replace the @ and the. Com. Spambots probably have that simplistic method figured out by now anyway.

I was wondering how many "me too's" it was going to take for someone to get the pics, then post them here for everyone. Thank you for your offer.

I look forward to seeing them...here :)

EDIT:

Notwithstanding the fact that you should never put your Email address on any board or website because the automated spambots cull websites looking for Email addresses. That's why you will see...whatever at something dot com used to replace the @ and the. Com. Spambots probably have that simplistic method figured out by now anyway.

Thanks for your caution.

I use the posted email address only for Cruise Critic so it gets very little traffic. I have never had any spam at that address so am not too worried for now. I think you are probably right that the spambots have likely figured out how to find elena7cc at yahoo dot com by now.... I'm either just lucky or they have also figured out that I just don't have enough traffic to make it worth their while to invade my space. ;).

Archived