Passport expires within 6 months

riddle

We are leaving on 2/26 for a western caribbean cruise. I was just told by a friend today that I may have problems with my passport because it expires on June 25, 2012.

I am a U.S. citizen. We are driving to Miami and cruising out of there. Has anyone had this problem and what did you do?

We are leaving on 2/26 for a western caribbean cruise. I was just told by a friend today that I may have problems with my passport because it expires on June 25, 2012.

I am a U.S. citizen. We are driving to Miami and cruising out of there. Has anyone had this problem and what did you do?

Your US passport is valid until the date of expiration. You can exit and enter the United States up to the day your passport expires.

However, many countries in the world require you to have at least six months validity remaining in your passport beyond your visit before they will allow you to enter. You should check with EACH country that you will visit for their exact entry requirements.

If just ONE place on your itinerary requires a passport that is valid for > 6 months, you will be denied boarding at the embarkation port.

The safest thing for you to do is to have your passport renewed before your cruise. The last thing you need is one person behind a desk at the pier telling you that you are out of luck and have to go home....and no amount of "but the people on Cruise Critic said..." is going to change their mind.

None of the countries you're visiting on your cruise even require you to have a passport as a day visit cruise passenger, so there will be no six month validity requirement for your cruise. You could even take the cruise with a birth certificate and drivers license and no passport at all. Your valid passport expiring in less than six months is just fine. That wouldn't necessarily be the case if you were going outside the Caribbean, for example to Europe, South America, Asia, etc.

Your passport is ok as you are not flying back from any of your ports as well as they don't require the 6 month status.

You would still be OK flying back, because a US citizen just has to have a valid passport to fly back to the US...it could be its last day prior to expiration and still be perfectly legal even for an airline flight.

Yep, you'll be fine. We just sailed out of Miami on 1/28 on the Epic and DH's passport expires in June. The only time anyone looked at his passport was when we entered the terminal. He did carry a certified copy of his BC just in case anyone had a problem with his passport on this cruise.

I sailed the west carrabean with 1 month left on my passport last February. I don't even remember them checking passports when I got off and then on the boat at the ports of call. However, I'd still check if you are going anywhere non-standard. It would create havoc to the cruise line industry if you had to have a visa and 6 months left on your passport to visit a port.

We are on the same cruise and had the same issue - husband's expired in July. He called NCL and was told that all passports must be valid for at least six months. He had to do a super fast / expensive rush job to have it renewed.

It's worth calling Norwegian to be sure.

We are on the same cruise and had the same issue - husband's expired in July. He called NCL and was told that all passports must be valid for at least six months. He had to do a super fast / expensive rush job to have it renewed.

I called NCL about this as mine expires a month after our return and was told you don't even need a passport for the Caribbean. A birth certificate and DL would be all you need.

I called NCL about this as mine expires a month after our return and was told you don't even need a passport for the Caribbean. A birth certificate and DL would be all you need.

Exactly right...and that's why they don't require a passport to have six months remaining validity...because they don't require a passport at all.

You got a bad answer. The customer service reps often can't figure out the right answer on simple matters much less immigration requirements. NCL has the correct information in its FAQs. (note the words "valid passport" as one of the documentation options):

http://www2.ncl.com/faq#n19263

What about Documentation, Visas and Passports?

All guests must provide key personal information in advance of sailing. Click here for detailed travel documentation information before you complete your Online Check-In form.

Caribbean, Bahamas, Bermuda, Alaska, Mexican Riviera, Or Canada & New England Cruises

For round-trip sailings (cruises that depart from and return to the same U.S. port), you may sail with either a valid passport, proof of citizenship and a valid government-issued photo I.D. (driver’s license with a photo), or any other WHTI compliant document.

Proof of Citizenship examples include:

State certified U.S. birth certificate

Original certificate of U.S. naturalization

Original certificate of U.S. citizenship

U.S. Consular report of your birth abroad.

Baptismal paper, hospital certificates of birth and Puerto Rico birth certificates issued prior to 7/1/10 are not acceptable.

A U.S. citizen under the age of 16 do not require a government-issued photo ID.

Archived