TSA lock on luggage a do or don't??

Silly3mom

Ok, we leave on Monday on the Fantasy out of Charleston, SC. I am nervouse about handing over luggage without it having some lock on it. I checked the policy and they recommend not to use a lock. But isn't that the purpose of these new TSA locks for luggage.. Any thoughts or experience please share...

Ok, we leave on Monday on the Fantasy out of Charleston, SC. I am nervouse about handing over luggage without it having some lock on it. I checked the policy and they recommend not to use a lock. But isn't that the purpose of these new TSA locks for luggage.. Any thoughts or experience please share...

buy a TSA lock... we had the locks cut off 2 of our suitcases 2 trips ago..

I had some TSA locks on my luggage and they cut them off rather than opening it with a key. They were "kind" enough to put the cut lock back in my luggage though...:confused: So, in my experience, it doesn't matter what kind of lock you have, TSA will just cut it off.

We were on the Dream in January and my husband had some water in his suitcase, since it was locked with the TSA locks Carnival sent us a note saying we had to go down to security to get the suitcase. I went down there and opened up the suitcase for them, they inspected the water and all was good. The rest of our luggage was locked and they delivered it with no problem.

We were on the Dream in January and my husband had some water in his suitcase, since it was locked with the TSA locks Carnival sent us a note saying we had to go down to security to get the suitcase. I went down there and opened up the suitcase for them, they inspected the water and all was good. The rest of our luggage was locked and they delivered it with no problem.

Any lock you had put on, would have had the same result.

So why are people bothering with TSA locks for a cruise. If its for flying then thats different.

You can lock it if you want...I never lock my bags cruising or flying ...never had anything missing.

Locks only keep out honest people. If someone wants to get in your bag they will. If locking it gives you piece of mind do so.

Same here. Never locked the luggage, and nothing is ever missing. This is over 44 cruises, and scores of domestic and international flights.

If they want to search your bags and you lock your bags, you get called to the naughty room and go through them in your presence.

If they want to search and you don't lock your bags, they will just search and take out naughty room items.

I prefer to lock. I use the TSA locks. I once had to have it cut off after TSA searched my bag. Apparently they were searching two bags at once and put the wrong locks bag on the bags (it was a larger blue lock than the blue lock I had). Luckily, I was on my return trip. I hope the person that got my lock was leaving for their vacation. That would be annoying.

I use colored zip ties and then carry a small nail clipper. They can get in if need be, but I know if they're been tampered with.

Lock your luggage if you want but don't fool with TSA locks. TSA has nothing to do with screening cruise luggage. If they need in your luggage and it is locked they will call you down to open it after it is on the ship.

I usually use coloured zip ties to secure my luggage. When I got home to Nova Scotia after my last cruise, my zip ties had been cut off of one suitcase, and I found a note in my luggage from the TSA (Hand written - on TSA Letterhead paper).

They had searched my luggage since the x-ray had shown something that looked like a pistol.:eek:

Turned out it was only my souvenir bottle of Tequila that was shaped like a pistol!:)

It was a nice note, and now its in the scrap book along with the photos and other stuff that DW collects...

Why are you nervous? What are you putting in there?

I have never locked my luggage, but I also never put anything in checked luggage that I consider valuable.

Never had anything missing, but have had several notes or mysterious tags in different colors on my luggage when I get it back that say things like TSA screened, or something like that. I fly weekly.

I do have this pretty clip that I bought at an airport that I clip through the lock rings just to make sure they stay together.

I am of the school that locked luggage invites pilfering and if your luggage has a nylon zipper, they can get in to have a feel around faster than you can get your lock on in the first place.

I always lock my luggage when checking bags. The main reason for doing so is so some "curious" baggage handlers don't get in. I know this has been a problem at Delta (or United... Can't remember).

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

They have so many ways to get in locked luggage

like this

Archived