Questions about the East Med May 11 on Solstice

happy cruzer

Hi,

Here are my first few :) questions about the med cruise on the Solstice May 11 that starts in Barcelona.

Which ports are tender ports?

Naples, Rome, La Spetzia, Ajaccio, Toulon, Dobrovnic, Venice?

Also we like to carry on wine. In Barcelona, are they strict on the limit of 2 bottles? Do they use the port that has a wine store after the security check? Are they strict on your other port visits? I know there is that they have every right to enforce the official policy so just checking what the actual enforcement has been.

What spots (indoor and outdoor) are good for viewing port entry like Venice?

Thanks in advance.

I knew I would have more questions.

Is the Spa Cafe open for dinner?

Does room service deliver the items from the MDR menu at lunch and dinner? Any particular time to order?

Is there a steamroom or sauna provided for all guests for no extra charge?

Thanks.

Hi,

Here are my first few :) questions about the med cruise on the Solstice May 11 that starts in Barcelona.

Which ports are tender ports?

Naples, Rome, La Spetzia, Ajaccio, Toulon, Dobrovnic, Venice?

Only La Spezia

Also we like to carry on wine. In Barcelona, are they strict on the limit of 2 bottles? They were not when we went, seems they are less strict on Med. cruises. Do they use the port that has a wine store after the security check?

There is a store after the port security check, but you go through a ship security check as you board.

Are they strict on your other port visits? I know there is that they have every right to enforce the official policy so just checking what the actual enforcement has been.

We've brought wine or other local liquors from every port we've been in, wanted to be honest & check it like you're supposed to, but there was a line, so we just stored it all in our room. Had the premium drink pkg. & we were buying in port for gifts/souveiners.

What spots (indoor and outdoor) are good for viewing port entry like Venice?

Sorry, haven't done Venice yet.

Thanks in advance.

Enjoy your trip!

We just got back from Venice and we viewed it from our balcony . Either side is good because what you miss on the way in you get the opposite side in the way out. They play opera music on the way in through the Grand Canal. It is awesome. To hear the music you need to go up on the top deck and can view it from there also.

I knew I would have more questions.

Is the Spa Cafe open for dinner?

Does room service deliver the items from the MDR menu at lunch and dinner? Any particular time to order?

Is there a steamroom or sauna provided for all guests for no extra charge?

Thanks.

Aqua spa cafe not open for dinner; recommend Bistro on 5.

You can order from the MDR menu for dinner, but it will all be brought at once, not served by course unless you are in a suite. I would order about 30 minutes before you want to eat. It will probably be delivered by your steward. I tipped $5-$10 for our dinner to be delivered.

There is a sauna in the shower area near the Solarium that is open to all.

Hi, questions about the med cruise on the Solstice May 11 that starts in Barcelona. Which ports are tender ports?

Naples, Rome, La Spetzia, Ajaccio, Toulon, Dobrovnic, Venice? Also we like to carry on wine. In Barcelona, are they strict on the limit of 2 bottles? Do they use the port that has a wine store after the security check? Are they strict on your other port visits? I know there is that they have every right to enforce the official policy so just checking what the actual enforcement has been. What spots (indoor and outdoor) are good for viewing port entry like Venice? Thanks in advance.

From our Solstice experience last June, we did many of these same ports. For Naples, Rome, near Florence/Tuscany, Venice, Dubrovnik, you will definitely be docked. Not sure on Toulon or Ajaccio. Below are some tips, ideas for Venice and Dubrovnik, etc. See more on the Solstice and the Med from my detailed live/blog with lots of pictures, etc.

Since Venice is one of your key stops, you might look at this earlier posting that I did on the Italy board that shows many options and visual potentials for this city that is so great for "walking around".

Venice: Loving It & Why??!!

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1278226

Loved Dubrovnik!!! See more details and lots of visual samples how we did our introductory "panoramaic" tour from high above this great, walled city. Don't miss the wall walk. See more at:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1439227

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 65,236 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

Don’t miss the Solstice sail-in for Venice. This was our view from the top of the ship as we approached the historic center of Venice. On a beautiful day, as we enjoyed, this is so spectacular!!!:

VeniceSailInWider.jpg

In Venice, here is a view the roof of St. Mark’s from the Campanile Tower. This 323’ high tower offer lots of great views in all directions. The tower is topped by a pyramidal spire with a golden weathervane in the form of the archangel Gabriel. The campanile reached its present form in 1514. The current tower was reconstructed in 1912 after the collapse of 1902. The tower was originally used as a watch tower for the dock. It is now one of Venice’s most famous symbols. The original Campanile inspired the designs of other towers worldwide.. Next is a tight shot on some of the spectacular art on the front of St. Marks and a unique framing of the Tower from an arch of the Doge’s Palace.:

VeniceStMarksRoomFromTower.jpg

VeniceStMarksTightArt.jpg

VeniceTowerArchFraming.jpg

We started in Dubrovnik with a local cab driver who gave us a “panoramic tour”, including crossing their unique bridge near the main cruise ship docking area. He called this bridge their “Golden Gate” like in San Francisco. It is nine years old. Then we drove up and up through narrow twisting roads to the high point overlooking Dubrovnik and near the cable car high station. From this point, we could also see part of Bosnia and and Montenegro. The “super star” view was down below with this angle of the harbor and walled city. Beautiful!!!:

2DubrOverallHighViewOne.jpg

This is a view of the historic Dubrovnik wall at an upward and outward point built on top of the rocks and where it overlooks the Adriatic Sea. Walking this wall is a wonderful and unique way to sample and see up close and personal what makes this city so special.:

DubrovWallWaterViews.jpg

Terry, I love your pictures! It brings our cruise on the Brilliance about 2 years ago right back, not that we'd ever forget it.

I don't think there is a bad spot to view sailing into Venice. We just stayed on the top sundeck and walked back and forth. The ship moves slowly so you won't miss a thing. It is probably the most memorable moment on any cruise we have taken. We were lucky enough be be docked 5 minutes walk to Piazza San Marco.

We bought some wine in Barcelona after check it but before boarding the ship. No problem.

Terry, I love your pictures! It brings our cruise on the Brilliance about 2 years ago right back, not that we'd ever forget it. I don't think there is a bad spot to view sailing into Venice. We just stayed on the top sundeck and walked back and forth. The ship moves slowly so you won't miss a thing. It is probably the most memorable moment on any cruise we have taken. We were lucky enough be be docked 5 minutes walk to Piazza San Marco. We bought some wine in Barcelona after check it but before boarding the ship. No problem.

Appreciate the nice comments from Jan. YES, being on top deck is great to maximize the view on both sides as you do the sail-in. Most of the best views are on the starboard side, but there are other good options on the port side, too.

We brought back some wine in both the Naples and Pisa/Florence ports. No problems. Went smoothly through the security check. Can't guarantee that will happen for everyone, all of the time. It did for us. Much probably depends the age of the passenger, area of the world, staff mood, etc. Italy is the world's largest wine producer and things would be much different in the Carib, with those much younger, etc.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 65,236 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

We were on the Equinox in 2009 in the Mediterranean. We bought wine in every port, sometime beer and I believe scotch in Istanbul or Athens for use in our cabin. Had no problem bringing on board in our carryons from shopping.

We do the same thing on Princess, HAL and Cunard which we also cruise on. Same thing - no problem.

If they asked to hold it til we got off, we obviously would comply. In 30 years have never been asked to do so.

We don't buy a lot, just what we can use in our cabin We like to have lunch on our balcony most days. So we enjoy wine or beer at that time.

Archived