Alaska, Port side of Starboard Side

Cygneagile

Hello

My sister and I are booked on the Diamond Princess south bound Alaska trip from Anchorage.

Can anyone tell us if we should book a cabin Port side or Starboard side. We want to enjoy coming into the cities. It looks like with the southbound itinerary, we would be better off with a Port side cabin.

Julie

Given that there are two sides to the ship half are going to argue that thier side is best. Having done the cruise on the Diamond both north and southbound, I really don't think it matters but will give a slight nod to the starboard side. Some will argue that the narration and views are better on the port side in Glacier Bay but if you sit on your balcony on that day you are only going to enjoy half of what is offered in the way of scenery. There really isn't much to see as you enter these towns or leave these towns except Vancouver in which case you are likely slightly better off on the starboard side.

If you are going southbound, you would want to be on the port (left ) side of the ship where you will have more views of land. If you look on the sale of cabins on southbound cruises, port seels out 1st. On the otherhand, if going north, the starboard selss out 1st.

IMHO if you are sitting or plan to sit on the balcony you will find murphy will be with you and no matter which side you pick the wildlife or other spur of the moment sight will be on the opposite side.

Yes going south bound technically Port is where land is. You like sunrises or sunsets...

My opinion is don't sweat the side, it isn't like Venice but again even on sailing in/out of venice the best view is top side!

Hello

My sister and I are booked on the Diamond Princess south bound Alaska trip from Anchorage.

Can anyone tell us if we should book a cabin Port side or Starboard side. We want to enjoy coming into the cities. It looks like with the southbound itinerary' date=' we would be better off with a Port side cabin.[/font']

Julie

Well doomed if you do and doomed if you don't

I have asked my TA to review with Princess the option of changing our cabin without any extra cost. Let us see what happens.

I was under the impression that since we are going south bound the port side would give us a better view. Now I am confused.

On the inside passage, BOTH sides have views, and what ever is on the other side, you miss.

The ONLY place where the side may be important is Glacier Bay. IF you ONLY want viewing from your cabin then you need port side, so the commentary lines up with what you are viewing. Do REALIZE the "best" views of your glacier areas, Hubbard, Glacier Bay, Tracy Arm, is forward for the most viewing. Along with the ability to move around the ship. Forget about those "crowded" deck comments. I have NEVER found this to be true. People come and go, you can always count on a significant amount of people being under prepared in their attire and lucky to stay out 30 minutes. I never get "crowded out" always have extended expansive viewing and move with my priority sights. Depends WHAT is going to be your priority?

You are saying our cruise in Glacier Bay will take my warmest clothing for the day in order to stay out longer and enjoy more of the view? I'm only 4' 11" and I've been more worried about being able to "see" over the other people. :D

If you avoid the very front of the ships and instead consider the wonderful, protected mid open wrap around side decks. You should have no problem getting rail space. Most ships do not have front viewing on this deck, so switch sides when the ship turns.

If you choose to take advantage of the entrance and early morning wildlife opportunities, then get up on the empty high forward facing deck with a good pair of binoculars.

We have a starboard balcony (verandah) mid-ship on 6th deck. My DH thinks we will see whatever we need to see from there. I'm not thinking so, but I'll try your suggestions.

Thanks,

Gloria

IF you want to take advantage of the "most" scenery, I suggest you move around the ship. Seeing less than 50% is definately not my priority. You will have to determine what yours is?

So portside is the best view, sunsets, sunrises, land, etc?

Going on princess sapphire southbound from whittier in september

I have it booked already on inside cabin but a recent surplus of money in the last couple weeks has me in position to phone in and put it all down on that balcony. Still deciding if it's worth it. First time ever to alaska, my dream destination in life :D

So portside is the best view, sunsets, sunrises, land, etc?

Going on princess sapphire southbound from whittier in september

I have it booked already on inside cabin but a recent surplus of money in the last couple weeks has me in position to phone in and put it all down on that balcony. Still deciding if it's worth it. First time ever to alaska, my dream destination in life :D

Just off the Sapphire had E731..an amazing large corner balcony..

Archived