Brick and mortar Travel agent vs online TA

DRich2

I have read a lot of posts on here where people highly reccomend using a B&M travel agent as opposed to an online TA.

My question is, does your B&M TA usually match or come very close to the lowest price available online at the same time? I do understand the value in having someone you know or have worked with as a TA, but at what price?

My experience (4 cruises) has been that my local TA's haven't been able to come within $300 per person of the lowest price I have found online.

All four of my experiences with online TA's (different one each time because I am always shopping for the best price) have been positive.

What is your experience?

I am fortunate to have a great TA with whom I've done business for a long time. She knows what I want and stays on top of things to make sure I'm taken care of. While it's a brick and mortar agency, it's a part of a national organization. Can't mention it, but it's affiliated with a well-known automobile club. Only one time did she tell me she didn't see how an online price I gave her was being offered. It was $300 pp less than what she had originally quoted me. But she asked that I give her a little time to work on it. Well, about 3 weeks later she came up with pricing that was just over $700 pp cheaper than the online price I'd seen! Plus, I just like the ability to go see someone in person if I feel the need or desire to. For me, an in-person TA is mandatory.

I

My experience (4 cruises) has been that my local TA's haven't been able to come within $300 per person of the lowest price I have found online.

My experience has been the same. I live in a town that only has one brick and motar TA, and her price usually matches the 'highest on-line' price, so it would cost me several hundred dollars a cruise to use them. I too would love to have a local TA but as you say, at what price?

-Robin

Looking forward to following this thread as I have only taken 4 cruises and although 2 were through freelance travel agents who I referenced a promotion through, the other 2 were "on-lines". I have been more than satisfied with the online agents.

Should be an interesting thread.

DCC

A B&M TA doesn't have to be local. Mine is nowhere near where I live, in fact is across the country, but she gives very personal service and is available whenever I need her. Never not been able to reach her immediately by phone or get an immediate return call or email (unless she is on a HAL ship and in that case her office provides the same excellent service).

I've used both B&M TAs and online discount TAs ... in general, since I do all my research and know what I like and don't like, a TA is really just the agent that books the cruise for me at a price that is lower than I could get from the Cruise Line myself. If I could book directly with HAL and get the same kinds of quotes that I get from TAs, I do it.

The advantage of B&M TAs is that they can sometimes find special deals, hotel and flight options, that I would never have thought of looking for. For instance, how does one CHEAPLY book air to London, 3 days in London, then Train to Paris, 3 days in Paris, then train to Amsterdam to board ship for cruise, then air back to the States? Note, the requirement is "cheaply." A TA can sometimes figure out how to do it in such a way that it doesn't cost an arm and a leg.

IF it's a simple cruise -- Caribbean, Mexico, Alaska, etc -- I generally just go with an online TA. If, however, it's a more complex series of travel arrangements, with several modes of transport and open-jaw features, I'll often talk to a B&M TA for at least part (if not all) of the arrangements. In the end, if they save me a bundle on air/train/transfer arrangements, it'll be worth it to book the cruise with 'em too.

As a frequent cruiser I have saved $1,000s of dollars using our B & M travel agent over the past 20 years. While they are a B & M agency in our area, most of my dealings are by phone or E-mail, but sometimes I drop in to have a face to fact meeting (very seldom though). Most of their business if via internet and phone.

Anyhow, while on occassion we maybe could save about 5% by shopping for the cheapest on-line option, overall I save alot more by using the B & M agency. Their prices are usually as good or better than on-line prices with the exception of last minute sales for new reservations only. Even those our TA can usually get for us as well but the only time it is of interest we already have our reservations.

In addition, sometimes it is perks we get rather than $$$. Like, for example, getting an upgrade from an inside to an outside cabin, without asking, for a 64 day cruise by a trade they arranged. (Other folks needed the shower as one could not get their legs over the tub side to use the shower. TA arranged for the trade.) On several occassions they have also contacted us with fantastic offers if we are willing to change to a different cruise - with a quick response needed as the offer is on a first come basis. As our travels are generally flexible we have had some fantastic deals that way. It is only because of our TA tracking us down quickly that we were able to take advantage of these opportunities.

So, overall I will stick with our TA as overally we do really well, although sometimes we may pay a few hundred dollars more (on a five thousand dollar plus cruise) than if we bargin shop.

I will never book a cruise online. I have heard many horror stories and have seen some on these boards. However, I don't use a brick and mortar TA either. There are several large cruise discounters where you can talk to someone to book your cruise. My agent is great, always takes time to get me the room I want (usually aft balcony) and gives me the exact service any brick and mortar TA would givei me. Of course, I do not need any help in selecting a cruise, but I have referred friends ,who were not as knowledgeable as I am, and she has taken good care of them.

I have booked the 15+ cruises I've been on either by online agency or directly thru CL. I always look for the cheapest and they get the booking. Don't need the B&M or OLA if the CL is the cheapest. Sometimes I enjoy booking directly as you can eliminate the middle man and handle issues direct. Happy Sailing!

I very much prefer having a Brick & Mortar in my community. I dealt with a Brick and Mortar three time zones away from me for a number of years and it was good.....BUT it often was an inconvenience/annoyance with the time zone difference. I often wanted to speak with her early in the morning and had to wait three hours for her office to open.

The TA I now have used for many years is 'down the street and round the corner', so to speak. While not a huge agency and not a part of a national chain, they have a website and do national advertising. They have always matched a lower price when I bring them (e-mail) the reference. So....though they are in my small community, it isn't impossible someone here has used them on-line and I wouldn't have a clue they had 'stumbled' upon my favorite TA. :)

I love my online TA. There is nothing a brick & mortar TA could do for me that my online TA doesn't do. In fact, I have more access online ... 7 days a week. Half the time I couldn't even get my local TA to call me back.

I do know that there are excellent local TA's out there. I know many of you are lucky enough to have found one that theyou continually use and are even willing to pay a bit more for the service you receive.

Unfortunately, such was not the case for me so I consistently use the same TA and am tremendously happy.

I love my online TA. There is nothing a brick & mortar TA could do for me that my online TA doesn't do. In fact, I have more access online ... 7 days a week. Half the time I couldn't even get my local TA to call me back.

I do know that there are excellent local TA's out there. I know many of you are lucky enough to have found one that theyou continually use and are even willing to pay a bit more for the service you receive.

Unfortunately, such was not the case for me so I consistently use the same TA and am tremendously happy.

I'm with you Heather! The speed and control you gain with an online agency makes all the difference. To be honest, many people who post on these boards know more about the cruise industry compared to many B&M TAs. Many people need the help of a local TA and I understand and respect that, but at this point, they just slow me down.

Options! Very cool.

:D Kel

I have wondered about using our TA, because the last four cruises we have booked, I have gotten the information and then turned it over to them and the price is the same as I found. Never any real extra benefit to using them except to say you can speak face to face with the TA. I would like to try booking with an on-line agency sometime and compare. Maybe soon.

We went thru B&M T/A on our 1st cruise, direct with cruise line on our 2nd, and now online T/A for upcoming cruise. The service we received from B&M T/A was marginal. The upgrade we received when going direct with the cruise line was phenominal.

There weren't that many online T/As when we did our first two cruises, except for maybe Travelocity and Expedia. Now there are lots of others. For our upcoming cruise we need 3 cabins, so we're doing what we can to save $$$, and believe me, we are saving some serious $$$ over not only the cruise line, but also over Travelocity and Expedia.

As someone else mentioned previously, travelers can send e-mails and get responses 7 days a week with an online agency. The agency we have been going through has been very helpful. We have also called their toll-free number. Our cruise documents arrived 6 weeks ahead of departure.

Of course, and I know this is obvious, but be sure to check out the online T/A to ensure they are sound and solvent. They should maintain appointments with the IATAN (International Airlines Travel Agents Network) and the ARC (Airlines Reporting Corporation), and be affiliated with the CLIA (Cruise Line International Association).

The jury will be out until we actually complete this cruise, but regarding our online T/A's customer service, so far so good. :)

We've tried using a local TA a couple of times and always ended up paying waaaay too much, and found that most times their knowledge was very limited. I love the website where you can enter the cruise you want and then receive bids. I can look at the quotes I get, research each of the agencies and pick the one I want based on price and comments from others re service. I've used that service the last couple of cruises and have been more than satisfied with the price and service.

Marie

We've tried using a local TA a couple of times and always ended up paying waaaay too much, and found that most times their knowledge was very limited. I love the website where you can enter the cruise you want and then receive bids. I can look at the quotes I get, research each of the agencies and pick the one I want based on price and comments from others re service. I've used that service the last couple of cruises and have been more than satisfied with the price and service.

Marie

I used that site for my upcoming Celebrity cruise and have been happy with the service of the TA we chose so far (but we're not on the boat yet!). Our regular TA (who we also mostly interact with thru email & website, but occasionally on the phone) only handles the Carnival corp. cruise lines.

I'm with you Heather! The speed and control you gain with an online agency makes all the difference. To be honest, many people who post on these boards know more about the cruise industry compared to many B&M TAs. Many people need the help of a local TA and I understand and respect that, but at this point, they just slow me down.

Options! Very cool.

:D Kel

I think for when everything goes smoothly and there are no problems, many of us don't need a TA at all. WE can do the bookings ourselves.

IMO, a TA shows their value when something does not go smoothly. Luckily for us, we have had very few glitches through the years dealing with Cruiselines but the few times there was a mix-up or a problem, the TA dealt with it and we did not have to.

Sure, we could probably deal with it. But I'd much rather have her do it and those are the times when it is Wonderful to be able to walk through the door and discuss it face to face with her.

To me, having a good in-person TA is sort of like having insurance. Of course, just as some policies are excellent and some are hardly worth the paper they're printed on, TAs run the same range of helpfulness. I feel fortunate to have a good one. If she ever leaves the business, I may join the ranks of those who purchase in cyberspace.

I did extensive investigation online only for our upcoming transatlantic 15 night cruise on the Westerdam. Cruise only prices for two in the category we picked ranged from $7707 to well over $14000 on the HAL website and anywhere in between. (savings really are more than a few hundred dollars per person on the higher priced cabins)

I do not need to relate what price I selected to book our cruise at.

Cheers General max

We have always used a B&M agent.

For our vacation last month, I started by getting quotes from two on-line sites, the cruise line itself and a local B&M agent. We priced three different possible trips, on two different lines.

The B&M agent quotes (for 12 tickets w/air) ranged between $3000 to $6000 less on every single quote. When the trip/line was selected and everything paid for, total charges came within $64 of the agent's original quote (less, actually).

With 12 in the party coming from diffent states, there was lots to arrange via telephone and e-mail with the agent. All documents, transfers, airline tickets and pre-boarding forms arrived at each of our homes well in advance of sailing. I love it when a plan works-out.

I have just now had a chance to read this thread and surprised that there are many that like the On-Line TA. I am one that does lots of reserach before booking a cruise then I call my B&M TA. She has always come really close within pennys of what I have found. Only one time was her price over a $1000 more. She recommended that I book it right away on line. She actually was interested in how everything went with this transaction with the price being unbelievebly low. Of course this is the one I book last July for our October 2005 curise. We pay final payment in July so we will see how this transaction ends up. I am not expecting any problems. But for the most part I would really prefer my local TA. She usually calls me at work the day before we leave to wish me Bon Voyage and the last 3 cruises has called me when I returned to find out how the cruise went. I have also recommend several people to her in recent times and gave them prices before they spoke to her and she has always matched or gave lower prices. She knew if I sent them I already did research for them.:)

We're in the group that doesn't need a whole lot of assistance with our cruises. We do our own research, our own travel, hotels, and use the TA simply to book the cruise. With that in mind, price becomes the major driving factor and our on-line TA comes through with significantly lower prices.

• 3 weeks later...

Okay, don't everyone laugh at once...but what exactly is a Brick & Mortar agency, and how do I find them?? We have a TA and I compare online with major travel Ex*** and Tr***, but I didn't realize there was a third option. :o

Okay, don't everyone laugh at once...but what exactly is a Brick & Mortar agency, and how do I find them?? We have a TA and I compare online with major travel Ex*** and Tr***, but I didn't realize there was a third option. :o

A "Brick and Mortar" TA is just that....A person you can walk into a building, sit across a desk in a chair, look in the eye and discuss your plans. The building the TA works in is usually made of...brick and mortar.

We have alwayes used a B&M TA for our "formal" vacations...(i.e., fly somewhere, stay in hotels or resorts, go on a ship etc). Weuse a division of the same agency that does the corporate travel for the company I work for. I deal with them quite a bit through work and they alway "do right" by me with personnal travel also. Unfortunatly we take far too few "formal" vacations. Most are camping / hiking or going to stay with family members. When It's just airline flights I typically book online myself.

Archived