Cruise Ship Dining Trends...

Xport

Following is a link to an interesting article in today's Miami Herald travel section relative to current trends in cruise ship dining... Celebrity is but one of many lines referenced...

http://www.miamiherald.com/2012/02/19/2645597/casual-style-and-food-are-taking.html

While I do not expect that the trend toward becoming increasingly casual will necessarily be uniformly viewed as good news here and it is not my intent to spur yet another debate on this overworked topic, it may help to understand why X has embraced some recent changes...

FYI--that's all--if interested...

Following is a link to an interesting article in today's Miami Herald travel section relative to current trends in cruise ship dining... Celebrity is but one of many lines referenced...

http://www.miamiherald.com/2012/02/19/2645597/casual-style-and-food-are-taking.html

While I do not expect that the trend toward becoming increasingly casual will necessarily be uniformly viewed as good news here and it is not my intent to spur yet another debate on this overworked topic, it may help to understand why X has embraced some recent changes...

Hi Mike:) you know what is going to happen now, right?;)

That as pointed out, with the competition on fares being what it is and having to fill 5000 passenger ships every week, the cruise lines have hidden the cost of a ocean liner experience in the slew of extra charge items that they offer at evey turn.

Some ships have too promoted elite cabins for way more money with special rooms and dining to make then feel... well a notch above others. Elite status names are constantly used to make passengers feel special.

Mariner, Captains Club, Platnum, all the fluff. ( I would be interested in class of " kingfish,of the mystic knights of the sea" title....

I noted that its easy to spend double the cruise fare in the extras that get added. It is Ironic that going on a mass market ship like Holland or celeb., staying in a suite, and paying for everyhting, will in many cases be more expensive than a true luxury line where the luxury is not confined to the cabin.... but prevades the entire ship.

On the other hand true lixury lines are offering casual attire with outstanding ambiance without any class distinction. Out of you cabin all are treated the exact same.. Fares are all inclusive from the time you fly from your home to your return, all expenses from liquor, tips, shore, dining,hotel...the whole shooting match.

All things considered, with crazy low fares, cost plus for everythong and faux elite sellng and huge masses of passengers, I have decided to pay a higher price to begin with get what I pay for..

Well I hope Celebrity keeps their MDR pretty much as is - I think the food, while not the best I have ever eaten, is pretty darn good. I am happy with a dress code of "country club casual" esp. with all the luggage restrictions on planes I don't want to have to pack alot of formal wear, just NICE clothes for a NICE meal - I guess I'd rather eat my pizza or mexican here at home (or on the land where the cruise ship has taken me!).

I used to be very much in favor of keeping the MDR formal. But after my recent cruise on Silhouette, I really don't think the MDR food deserves much more than casual attire. I really don't feel very upscale in a Tuxedo eating the food they gave us. We can get much better food at almost any local shopping center restaurant.

How do you all feel about the lawn club grill being referred to as a "backyard BBQ"?

Is that an accurate depiction for those of you who have been to it? It did not seem so from the descriptions I have heard.

While I'm sure others will disagree, we felt as if we were indeed at a "backyard BBQ". The atmosphere is open-air, with easy access to the lawn. Some of the kids in the room took breaks from dinner and went out to run around on the lawn. So, the reference to "backyard BBQ" seems appropriate to me. I do not see it as a pejorative term.

I hope the trend described in the article doesn't pervade the industry. If we want to eat at restaurants just like at home, we can STAY HOME! We go on cruises partly to escape home, be pampered, and eat things we don't eat at home. I can see that there is a market segment that likes that kind of atmosphere, but I hope there are niche lines that still offer the "away from home" atmosphere without costing TOO much.

I hope the trend described in the article doesn't pervade the industry. If we want to eat at restaurants just like at home, we can STAY HOME! We go on cruises partly to escape home, be pampered, and eat things we don't eat at home. I can see that there is a market segment that likes that kind of atmosphere, but I hope there are niche lines that still offer the "away from home" atmosphere without costing TOO much.

Very well said. Thank you.

As for the backyard BBQ, I sailed NCL in 2003 on one of its old klunkers and every time we sailed away from a port, there was a BBQ on the aft of the pool deck. It was called ..... ta da!.....obviously......the sailaway BBQ and was a fun thing to participate in in lieu of the main dining room on those evenings. So this lawn club that is touting a "backyard BBQ" really isn't anything new.

When the cruise lines lower their standards and start offering nothing but a cheap moving hotel with fast food for the flip flop crowd, I have taken my last cruise.

If I want to see flip flops, crocks, sneakers and the like, I can go to any restaurant state side. It seems that a lot of people keep lowering their standards and stop making something special of their lives. It is a sad example of the time.:eek:

When the cruise lines lower their standards and start offering nothing but a cheap moving hotel with fast food for the flip flop crowd, I have taken my last cruise.

If I want to see flip flops, crocks, sneakers and the like, I can go to any restaurant state side. It seems that a lot of people keep lowering their standards and stop making something special of their lives. It is a sad example of the time.:eek:

Nicely stated..

Archived