Disgusting experience!!!!!

smallperson

As a previous poster stated, the original poster's extremely unfortunate experience is another learning experience for me. We have always placed emphasis on GETTING to the port city on time and arrive the day before. However, this has sensitized me to being more aware of travel conditions, events, etc. WITHIN the port city that might impact our ability to get to the port on time. In the future when we arrive in the port city, I will be sure to double check for any such issues and plan our departure from the hotel accordingly.

I am so sorry this happened to the poster and as others have stated, I hope they were able to get to the next port and are now enjoying their cruise.

I guess I can't even say that you should have gotten a room for the night before the cruise...if there were any to be had....

but..other than never even considering a cruise during Mardi Gras...since you did..was the price cheap because they knew that most folks would not want to cruise from NOLA at that time?

everyone that knows me makes fun of all the advance planning and research I do regarding destinations...but traveling by the seat of one's pants is just a big no no...

In light of this thread, anyone going out of NYC to Bermuda on 7/29/12 be aware that there is a home game that day Yankees vs Red Sox. There WILL be traffic on the west side and in around the stadium before game time of 4:05. I have found that traffic starts about two hours before game. Just a heads up. I'll put this on our Roll Call too.

While I feel sorry for the OP's situation, I looked at their history of posting. Out of the 4 posts made, 2 were about negative things. This isn't a forum to just gripe and complain. If they are indeed platinum with NCL, they should have been well aware of this site before now, joining roll calls and gleaning more information. I just found out about the marathon/run on 3/4/12 in NOLA. While that is a week before we sail, I think I'll jump onto a few NOLA sites to check for special events on our departure day. Why? Well, we're just the type that like to be prepared. Hopefully the OP will find a way to fly to their first stop tomorrow.

I guess I can't even say that you should have gotten a room for the night before the cruise...if there were any to be had....

but..other than never even considering a cruise during Mardi Gras...since you did..was the price cheap because they knew that most folks would not want to cruise from NOLA at that time?

everyone that knows me makes fun of all the advance planning and research I do regarding destinations...but traveling by the seat of one's pants is just a big no no...

... And all of your planning probably will prevent a nightmare like the OP experienced yesterday. Good lesson to be learned by new travelers... :)

I just checked our sailing date We are sailing out of Port Everglades March 31 There is a marathon schedulrd at the port that day Anyone know about this

Deb

Being that NCL does not sail from Port Everglades, it is unlikely that anyone here will be keeping up with things like this.

You will probably find more information either through the Port Everglades board, the board for the cruise line you are sailing, or through the roll call for your sailing.

I hope that you find the info that you need.

Hi,

Nice to see posters putting up info for travel problems that will happen in their area...something positive out of a negative.

My question is ...where is a response from the op in regards to 100 plus posts with everything from "gee too bad" to You shoulda known better".

It looks like "toss the bomb and run".

I hope they are trying to hook up with the boat at the first port because thats the only solution to the mess. They'll be out the airfare but not out of a cruise. Adapt and improvise.

Just my two cents...

geo

OP - did you purchase insurance. It sounds like you booked through a travel agency, so I assume it was offered. Concentrate on getting to the next port, so you can salvage some of your vacation. I do not believe NCL is any way at fault, but I still feel for the OP. I think this is a cruiser's worst fear.

I am not posting this as a fan of NCL, but rather as a rational person. I cannot see how the OP could even think for 1 minute that they have a case against the cruise line due to their not getting to the ship on time!! That would be the same as saying "I printed out directions from Mapquest that said travel time was 35 minutes and due to traffic it took 4 hours" and I missed something important so I tried to sue Mapquest!! How stupid!!

In defense of the OP (JUST A LITTLE BIT), I live in Southern California. While I have heard of Mardi Gras (I thought it was 1 day) and closer to Easter.

We did a trip to Harrah's in NO in February last year. I WAS ASTOUNDED when we arrived and all the beads were hanging from the trees, parades being announced. Folks walking around in costumes, etc.

I finally had to ask at the hotel if this weekend was Mardi Gras? I was told celebrations for Mardi Gras actually continue the whole month of February.

And it has never dawned on me to check local events in the port city I'm going to. Unlike the OP, I usually hire a local car service, and would rely on them to notify me of huge events, or difficulty getting to the pier.

I've never missed a ship, and I usually always fly in at least 1 day prior to the cruise. I can only imagine the frustration and anger the OP is feeling at having missed the ship.

Not sure exactly what responsibility lies where, NCL could have notified folks of Mardi Gras, a TA certainly should have notified OP that they were cruising during Mardi Gras, local police should have been able to give an alternate route, and OP could have researched before booking a cruise during Mardi Gras. Lots of should have, would have, could have enough to go around. I think as another poster stated, stuff happens.

Hope the OP is able to get to the next port to enjoy some part of the cruise, but with the anger, maybe not a good idea either!:eek:

OP - did you purchase insurance. It sounds like you booked through a travel agency, so I assume it was offered. Concentrate on getting to the next port, so you can salvage some of your vacation. I do not believe NCL is any way at fault, but I still feel for the OP. I think this is a cruiser's worst fear.

Not sure if it would help in this case. Normally only coverage for delays from commercial transportation. You have an accident in your car driving to the airport you are out of luck. Same would apply to traffic delays I would guess.

I am not a complete idiot. Insert smiley face. I know Mardi Gras lasts a few weeks. I just thought it started on Fat Tuesday. I have learned something new. That being said, I am sure I would have done my due diligence.

Mardis Gras ain't a one day event. For the weekend of the 11th and the 18th, there hasn't been an available room for about a year. They don't let you book more than a year out.

We saw more than one person who was expecting to walk up and book a room on the 11th. No luck. When leaving on the 19th, we were blocked by parade staging. It was ALMOST gridlocked. I-10 eastbound was at a standstill for 6 miles headed to downtown.

I'm having a hard time believing that OP from Mississippi had no clue about NOLA and Mardis Gras. We departed on the 12th. We had maps, parade routes, a backup plan,got to NOLA on the 10th and got to the terminal at 9AM. Next year, we will already be parked at the terminal and will walk from the Quarter if necessary. That's next year on the weekend before Fat Tuesday.

I wonder if they are cruisers with passports or just birth cert. cruisers. That would make a big difference if they could catch the ship at the next port if it wasn't in the U.S. Virgin Islands.

They would be out of luck, out of pocket, and out of sorts because of this. ;)

The first two things I learned here on CC was 1-Always arrive a day early to account for any situations that may arise and 2-check for roll Calls, and if there isnt one, create one.

Sorry you missed the boat, but this is by far not NCl's fault. Im not a cheerleader by far, in fact I only cheerlead for my kids. To the OP, suck it up, lesson learned, now move on.

Joyride37

I noticed that the OP has not come back to comment on their thread. That's too bad. This post is a handy reminder to all that travel. It also applies to those that are trying to catch a 9am flight after a cruise.

I took a look at travel costs to their first port stop. While I agree that that is the only real option other than going home, unless insurance was paying for it, I would either try to enjoy the week in NO or just go home. :(

This is a tough lesson. I'd be mad at myself too and anyone that was around. Hope they hadn't booked the DOS, OS, or Garden Villa.

OP can sue in small claims court, if their contract looks like mine.

Any and all disputes, claims, or controversies whatsoever, other than for personal injury, illness or death of a Guest, whether brought in personam or in rem or based on contract, tort, statutory, constitutional or other legal rights, including but not limited to alleged violation of civil rights, discrimination, consumer or privacy laws, or for any losses, damages or expenses, relating to or in any way arising out of or connected with this Contract or Guest's cruise, no matter how described, pleaded or styled, between the Guest and Carrier, with the sole exception of claims brought and litigated in small claims court, shall be referred to and resolved exclusively by binding arbitration pursuant to the United Nations Convention on the Recognition and Enforcement of Foreign Arbitral Awards (New York 1958), 21 U.S.T. 2517, 330 U.N.T.S. 3, 1970 U.S.T. LEXIS 115, 9 U.S.C. §§ 202-208 ("the Convention") and the Federal Arbitration Act, 9 U.S.C. §§ 1, et seq., ("FAA") solely in Miami-Dade County, Florida, U.S.A. to the exclusion of any other forum.

I noticed that the OP has not come back to comment on their thread. That's too bad. This post is a handy reminder to all that travel. It also applies to those that are trying to catch a 9am flight after a cruise.

I took a look at travel costs to their first port stop. While I agree that that is the only real option other than going home, unless insurance was paying for it, I would either try to enjoy the week in NO or just go home. :(

This is a tough lesson. I'd be mad at myself too and anyone that was around. Hope they hadn't booked the DOS, OS, or Garden Villa.

No DOS or Garden Villa on the Spirit so not a concern ;-).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - Jim

Sorry to hear about this crazy experience. The blame is with the city of New Orleans. I am sure this has happened before during other years. But it appears the problem was not large enough for them to care to take actions to keep traffic flowing to the port. As dysfunctional as Miami is, they protect port traffic because they know the port = money. They dont want angry Miami travelers to miss their vacation.

Shame on New Orleans for being lazy in protecting their port.

Thinking the same thing. City of NO should take measures to keep vital roads and passages open and detours planned out. OP missed a cruise. God forbid if someone had a medical emergency.

Archived