Disgusting experience!!!!!

smallperson

Well Larry, the OP stated they had no idea it was Mardi Gras (PS, they live in Mississippi!) Hello neighbors!

Actually in all fairness the OP did not say "they had no idea it was Mardi Gras" What they said was "Every road was blocked because of freaking mardi gras". That really could mean that they were not anticipating running into that much traffic due to Mardi Gras.

Actually in all fairness the OP did not say "they had no idea it was Mardi Gras" What they said was "Every road was blocked because of freaking mardi gras". That really could mean that they were not anticipating running into that much traffic due to Mardi Gras.

We say they could have emailed every one of us on this cruise some new directions, given what happens on mardi gras (we didn't know about it because we don't live in n.o.)

So they knew it was Mardi Gras but claim they didn't know there would be out of the ordinary traffic associated with it.

Even dumber. :rolleyes:

So they knew it was Mardi Gras but claim they didn't know there would be out of the ordinary traffic associated with it.

Even dumber. :rolleyes:

LOL :D I didn't say that I thought it was smart, I just corrected the fact that they didn't necessarily say they didn't know it was mardi gras ;)

I suggested it in post 4. You're right though, I doubt they ever returned to the thread to see.

Ya know, I read thru posts like these where people start a thread that is really crazy and then they never come back:mad:

Where is the dislike button?

They haven't come back to post but they've been reading.

They haven't come back to post but they've been reading.

Ehh...you don't know that. Perhaps they caught up with the cruise, perhaps they turned around and went home, perhaps they're partying it up in New Orleans.

This thread has over 300 responses and over 16,000 views. They're probably scared to come back. The welcoming committee is rather large.

Ehh...you don't know that. Perhaps they caught up with the cruise, perhaps they turned around and went home, perhaps they're partying it up in New Orleans.

This thread has over 300 responses and over 16,000 views. They're probably scared to come back. The welcoming committee is rather large.

Oh they have been back. ;)

smallperson user_offline.gif

Cool Cruiser

• Last Activity: Today 12:13 PM

If I were the OP and had posted this, then cooled down and thought about what I had written, I would have either tried to have it withdrawn, commented with a cooler head after the fact ... or lerked with one eye open and kept my mouth shut;) That smallperson has seen this and is not commenting says a lot - smallperson, despite all of our comments, we still hate that you missed your cruise:(

1. Really sad that OP missed their cruise.

2. Unlike most everyone else on this thread, I'm not a lawyer so I'm going to withhold opinion as to whether you would win or lose in court. I will say that you should weigh the potential gains against the costs and decide for yourself whether it is worth the effort. Start by reading the contract.

3. This is another one of those "little" things that NCL could have communicated about in the blizzard of "countdown to your cruise" emails. They have staff in NOLA, they know the local situation and at virtually no additional cost could have included that info. While it would have potentially improved the lives of just one party, weighed against the virtually zero additional cost, it just would have been another sign that they are really on top of making sure that every party embarks and has the chance to continue their NCL experience.

I too am sorry that the Original poster missed the ship. That is a tragedy. Its not disgusting.

Even though I am a lawyer, I have no idea how the lawsuit will come out. When I graduated from law school I wasn't given a crystal ball. In general however, unless NCL owed some duty to the passenger to get them there, there would be no responsibility on NCL's part. But there are cases that go different ways-and differently than I think. One example is when someone rented a motor home and the driver when the home was moving left the drivers seat to go to the back and it crashed, it was held that failure to warn about this was a breach of duty..(I told you I don't agree).

The rule generally is that you only have to warn about hidden dangers. Is the Mardi Gras I hidden danger? Not in New Orleans...

Adults are responsible for their own action. NCL is not your parent or guardian.

While reasonable people can disagree, most of us would think that its you obligation to find out how to get there and if there are unusual circumstances in the area.

In any case when someone comes back from the cruise I am interested in really how many people missed it...and if I were NCL, I might offer some OBC credit for a future cruise...

Even if the OP knew nothing about Mardi Gras......she still was in traffic for 5 hours. She did plan in advance....5 hours in advance. So who cares if she was re-miss in not knowing it was mardi gras. To be trying to get to the port for 5 hours and still miss the ship is a problem that NCL could have helped with.

NCL doing business in NOLA for several years now KNOWS that passengers are going to have major, major problems getting to the ship. Even in Mardi Gras, it would be reasonable to think 5 hours should get you across town!!

So instead of NCL simply emailing her directions to get to the ship, they could have sent a special email to their customers dealing with Mardi Gras this week. They could say....."Hey, plan on 6 hours of traffic getting across town". NCL could have offered free bus transportation from several locations in NOLA for their passengers dealing with the traffic this week.

NCL could have gone out of their way a tiny bit to help their customers they KNEW were going to have a hell of a time getting across town.

Even if the OP knew nothing about Mardi Gras......she still was in traffic for 5 hours. She did plan in advance....5 hours in advance. So who cares if she was re-miss in not knowing it was mardi gras. To be trying to get to the port for 5 hours and still miss the ship is a problem that NCL could have helped with.

NCL doing business in NOLA for several years now KNOWS that passengers are going to have major, major problems getting to the ship. Even in Mardi Gras, it would be reasonable to think 5 hours should get you across town!!

So instead of NCL simply emailing her directions to get to the ship, they could have sent a special email to their customers dealing with Mardi Gras this week. They could say....."Hey, plan on 6 hours of traffic getting across town". NCL could have offered free bus transportation from several locations in NOLA for their passengers dealing with the traffic this week.

NCL could have gone out of their way a tiny bit to help their customers they KNEW were going to have a hell of a time getting across town.

And yet somehow the ship managed to sail almost full. Odd.

NCL could have, but they didn't. I for one do not fault them for that choice.

And yet somehow the ship managed to sail almost full. Odd.

I just wonder with every port city having many events throughout the year, where the thought of the responsibility on the cruise lines stop and when it is up to the passenger to get to their cruise.

I gave an example back about post #169, where no one asks for or expects this from the airlines but am astonished at the amount of posters who think somehow this is NCL responsibility.

Then what happens when for a normal "mardi gras" the traffic could be 3 hours, so NCL "suggests" giving yourself at least 3 hours to maneuver traffic and like last weekend parades are moved from Sat. to Sunday. Are they still suppose to be responsible for knowing that.

3. This is another one of those "little" things that NCL could have communicated about in the blizzard of "countdown to your cruise" emails. They have staff in NOLA, they know the local situation and at virtually no additional cost could have included that info. While it would have potentially improved the lives of just one party, weighed against the virtually zero additional cost, it just would have been another sign that they are really on top of making sure that every party embarks and has the chance to continue their NCL experience.

Well here's the thing; that 'staff' is just contract hires who put on the NCL tie on one day and the carnival tie the next. They work for the XYZ port personnel Company and not NCL/CCL/ and the other lines that sail from the port.

Suitecruiser- lol My thoughts exactly.

I can imagine the pits of frustration in the stomach when traffic wasn't moving and the time for the cruise was getting closer and closer. That car must have been absolutely filled with tension. My family would have at some point turned on each other screaming in frustration, lol. It would have to be one or the others one's fault. Actually my husbands argument invariably would have been " you spend so much time on that "cruise website" why didn't you know this was going to happen." hee

Had to have been horrible. how come we haven't heard from anyone else who went through the same thing? Haven't read the ENTIRE thread so if others have chimned in, sorry.

Conquest also sailed that day from NOLA, no reports on the Carnival boards of anyone missing the ship due to traffic.

Dave

Dave, just noticed the Fredick in your signature. I was on the USS Boulder LST-1190 in the mid-70's as ship's company. Haven't been sea sick since;).

Archived