I know it's wrong...

alexspepa

...but in six days i get to enjoy one of my favorite cruise activities:

getting a drink and watching as all the last minute excursioners try to "beat the clock". I've had many a fun time cheering them on as they run down the pier before the boat sails. my favorite was a drunk in a rickshaw.

I"ve only seen this once on my first cruise, a mother and son who slowly walked to the ship in Jamaica while the entire ship called to them, they were in no hurry. I have watched some videos on you tube but will pay more attention on my upcoming cruise.

I remember one poster who debated relentlessly that it was cruel to laugh at others' misfortunes.

I enjoy it, too. And I've been a pier-runner before (Our entire excursion was late! They would have held the ship)... and was laughing the entire time. The heckling from the passengers on the ship was too funny!

Why is it wrong? :confused:

I got flamed pretty harshly for saying that one of my favorite things about a balcony was watching the pier runners. Most people agreed, but a couple thought it was cruel to make fun of the people.

Personally, I think it is entertaining - especially the folks with the giant balloon hats slowly stumbling their way in.

That is the best part of having a balcony, cheering everyone one as they are running.

Several years ago at one port we were at, the ship was waiting for 1 couple and they were taking their sweet time walking down the peir. It was a long peir so when they were halfway down it, with everyone yelling, the cruise staff decided to start pulling up the walkway.... well that got them running!!!

It was fun to watch.

Last year my daughter was one of those. DW and I were back on board and on a whim I texted her to be sure she was on board. Nope, her and her best friend were still in Hogs Breath saloon in Key West. They had to haul butt to make it back as the whistle blew.

I must admit I am looking forward to this. I will be going on my third cruise, first balcony. I know usually Triumph and Ecstasy are in port on the same day, and it seems like the last two cruises they switched sides of the dock. Do they do that on purpose so port and starboard balconies get a view of departing the dock? (just asking so that I know if for a fact I get to watch this occur from our balcony)

...but in six days i get to enjoy one of my favorite cruise activities:

getting a drink and watching as all the last minute excursioners try to "beat the clock". I've had many a fun time cheering them on as they run down the pier before the boat sails. my favorite was a drunk in a rickshaw.

My favorite part as well.

You walk? You get booed and rightfully so. Its like they dont care. (providing they are evidently healthy) Run your arse off you get cheered.

I think they should have to go through a water balloon gauntlet to get back on board.

Our last cruise, we were held up for a few pps. They boat waited as they were employees. The captain came over the speaker and mentioned why we were waiting. They kept watch of the pier and noticed them, I guess they were watching closely from the bridge. The next annoucement came again from the captain saying they were on there way running down the pier and ask all to give the employees a round of cheers! It was funny.

My favorite part as well.

You walk? You get booed and rightfully so. Its like they dont care. (providing they are evidently healthy) Run your arse off you get cheered.

I think they should have to go through a water balloon gauntlet to get back on board.

Love that idea!

Archived