Anytime Entertainment

Astro Flyer

In a recent post on a thread about CD David Cole, he said that he was being extended onboard the Sapphire until the end of this month to implement Anytime Entertainment. Because I am unaware what changes that means, I asked him about it but with his busy schedule he has not been able to reply.

Could anyone enlighten me about what type of changes to expect with Anytime Entertainment?

I started a post in mid-January about the entertainment changes on the Emerald. Those changes were a result of the implementation of Anytime Entertainment. We were told they were a result of passenger complaints about overcrowding in the Princess Theater and periods of time each evening where there was nothing going on. Based on those issues, I'm not certain of AE's success.

On the Emerald, all Princess Theater shows were shortened to 30 minutes. Except for certain evenings (embarkation evening, Captains Welcome Aboard party, Ultimate Deck Party evening), they were offered 3 times nightly, at 7:15pm, 8:30pm and 10:15pm.

The parties, trivia and game shows that used to take place in Club Fusion were all moved to the Explorers Lounge.

Club Fusion was used exclusively for dancing, to live music or DJ'd music.

Those are the facts. What follows are my opinions. ;)

By adding an early show in the theater, it did nothing to alleviate crowding at the 8:30pm shows. It is a stretch for really early diners to get there by 7:15pm. The 7:15pm show basically attracted people who either ate really early and really fast, or late diners. The result is that the 10:15pm shows are less than 75% full, but the 8:30pm shows are still packed. Also, someone from the cruise staff has to be at each entrance to the theater (2 on Deck 6 and 2 on Deck 7) to prevent people from entering the theater during the last half of the 7:15pm show.

30 minutes of a comedian are fine. 30 minutes of a production show is a stretch...a little longer would be better. 30 minutes for a hypnotist is ridiculous. 30 minutes for Beatle Maniacs is a travesty.

Explorers is not large enough for the events that are taking place there. They were much better held in Club Fusion where there was more seating and the monitors could be used to improve stage visibility.

Club Fusion is now empty. There are 20 people in there listening to a live band with no one dancing.

If you want to dance on the Emerald, there are now two venues- The Wheelhouse and Explorers, in which to dance, although sometimes Club Fusion has a DJ and not live music.

There is no longer a second show in Explorers each night. It's all game shows, trivia, karaoke and theme parties. There are long stretches of time in all lounges without entertainment.

We don't like it. :(

I missed that previous discussion & began to read that lengthy thread before checking back here.

PescadoAmarillo...thank you very much for taking the time to summarize the AE system & your thoughts about it! :)

With the Sapphire implementing it at the end of the month, hopefully it's just another 'shakedown cruise' for the AE procedure which based on your input still needs to be adjusted before being considered fleetwide.

It is hard to believe the production shows could be made shorter without affecting the show. I can understand trying to solve the problem of too few seats in the Princess Theater which can only seat about a third of the passengers. We generally have late traditional dining & rarely had any problems getting a seat. However our last cruise was very port intensive so we had early sitting & discovered the odds of getting a seat after enjoying dinner were slim & none. :rolleyes:

Hopefully after adjusting the AE procedure it will be an improvement to the Princess entertainment experience.

Just in passing interest has anyone questioned the dancers to get a feeling of their views on the subject?

I know that the singers on the Emerald are still adjusting to the new schedule. While theoretically they are on stage the same amount of time (3 x 30 instead of 2 x 45), it makes their day longer, they have to start getting ready earlier and then don't have as much time to rest in between shows. By the late show, they are getting pretty wiped out and then they are trying to play to an audience that is only about 50% full. Anyone who has ever done theater knows that when you have a small audience it is hard to keep the energy up on stage - the audience somehow, psychologically, becomes kind of "afraid" to respond. But you, know, it's "show biz", and most of them consider themselves lucky to be able to do what they love for a living, so they will adapt and give great performances.

Just in passing interest has anyone questioned the dancers to get a feeling of their views on the subject?

Actually, Shelley, through her step-daughter, gave you more firsthand information, but we got to know a few of the dancers pretty well and they said that they were still adjusting, that setting up for the second show so soon after the first was hard (costumes everywhere), and that they, too, were exhausted by the end of the evening.

If you like karaoke, game shows, theme parties and trivia, or dancing, you'll probably like the changes. We take great pleasure in being entertained by really talented people, and it's hard to get that through the audience participation entertainment.

Also, and I don't know if this was coincidental or not, the Palonia String Quartet left at the start of AE, and they were not replaced. We really missed having a classical music alternative in the Piazza and especially missed the one show they performed each cruise in the Explorers Lounge.

One thing I always liked about Princess were the variety of evening entertainment options. I hope that these changes don't ruin that!:(

From what I've read on other posts on the subject, "Anytime Entertainment" is a codeword for reduced entertainment (at least anything I'm interested in).

From what I've read on other posts on the subject, "Anytime Entertainment" is a codeword for reduced entertainment (at least anything I'm interested in).

Sure is reduced entertainment.

Prevuiously there was a 45 minute show in the Princess Theater and a 45 minute entertainer in Exoplorer's Lounge, meaning 90 minutes of entertainment for passengers who wanted to see two different shows.

Now there is just one 30 minute show each evening for passengers, a 67% cutback.

To correct solution for a crowded theater is not to cut 2/3rds of the entertainment out.

Also, since we don't really dance, and dislike participation shows, both Club Fusion AND Explorers now hold little appeal.

If you like karaoke, game shows, theme parties and trivia, or dancing, you'll probably like the changes. We take great pleasure in being entertained by really talented people, and it's hard to get that through the audience participation entertainment.

We feel the same about what we enjoy on a cruise...a nice meal & show is what makes us happy! :)

Unfortunately on our last cruise with early traditional dining we didn't rush through dinner fast enough to get a seat for the early show & being a port intensive cruise didn't care to stay up for the late production shows & thus didn't get to see any of them. :(

Even if they had a 3rd show the next day, that didn't work well with early dinner because it was at 7:15. :eek:

Sure is reduced entertainment.

Prevuiously there was a 45 minute show in the Princess Theater and a 45 minute entertainer in Exoplorer's Lounge, meaning 90 minutes of entertainment for passengers who wanted to see two different shows.

Now there is just one 30 minute show each evening for passengers, a 67% cutback.

To correct solution for a crowded theater is not to cut 2/3rds of the entertainment out.

If Princess was really interested in providing the same amount of entertainment minutes they could have arranged for guest entertainers to perform on subsequent evenings, even though they might also be 30 minute shows. :mad:

This sounds like a really bad idea to me. I can't picture anybody really being happy with the results. A few more people may get a seat at the shows, but analyzing it, probably not that many. And everybody would see tiny little short mini shows.

I guess there were a lot of whiners that complained about not being able to get a seat at shows. Now we're all going to be stuck with a crappier arrangement. All you have to do is read the Patter or listen to the Wake show. Plan to be at the theater or lounge a minimum of 20 minutes prior to the show or 30 if you want a close seat. What's so hard about that? Do these people have some other pressing business? You get a nice opportunity to chat with your party or even strangers, then see a decent-length show, and it fills your evening pretty well. Now, I bet there will be a lot of waiting, standing up outside the theater. Then the herding in and out to accommodate the shows being so close together.

The 5:30 traditional seating was actually a very good idea. It let us eat and have plenty of time for the 8:15 show. And on top of that, we felt genuinely hungry enough to warrant that late night snack that you always find yourself wanting on a cruise.

Now, I bet there will be a lot of waiting, standing up outside the theater. Then the herding in and out to accommodate the shows being so close together.

Yes, there have been posts about the long lines waiting for the first show to end and seating for the second show to start.

Where previously people went to the theater early to get a "good" seat, now they go there early to stand in a line.

As I mentioned on the earlier thread, I love Princess but have felt that entertainment has been it's weak spot in recent times. Like others, I think this is also a cost-cutting exercise and very disappointing, when some other cruiselines, including Carnival brands, are upping their entertainment.

Princess, please bring back the second cabaret entertainment to Explorers to give us two ''shows'' each night. Also, lengthen the production shows to perhaps 45 minutes. The idea of three shows is good but the middle show will always be crowded whatever. Why not bring forward the first show to say 7pm. This would mean anytime diners could watch this performance and eat around 8. It would also give second sitting traditional diners the chance of a show and cocktail before eating. still two shows for the early eaters. A longer gap between shows may also help the cast.

We know that Princess monitor these boards. I do hope they will listen to their loyal ''cheerleaders'', who all seem distinctly unimpressed and think again. In essence, we all appreciate the problem but don't like the solution.

PS losing the string quartet would also be a backwards step. For me this is a Princess ''signature'' and contributes greatly to that special onboard atmosphere.

Having Late Traditional Dining, I was very happy to see that I had a choice as to whether to see the shows in the Princess Theatre either early or late, and as I have the attention span of a flea, the 30 minute shows suited me too:D

I also liked the fact that the early and late shows didn't have queues forming, and no seat savers. Also that I didn't have to "waste time" getting to a show early in the hope of getting a seat.

It also meant, for me, that I had more choices of entertainment at other times of the evening.

I liked the new arrangement :)

Having Late Traditional Dining, I was very happy to see that I had a choice as to whether to see the shows in the Princess Theatre either early or late, and as I have the attention span of a flea, the 30 minute shows suited me too:D

I also liked the fact that the early and late shows didn't have queues forming, and no seat savers. Also that I didn't have to "waste time" getting to a show early in the hope of getting a seat.

It also meant, for me, that I had more choices of entertainment at other times of the evening.

I liked the new arrangement :)

Well it looks like you'll be quite happy standing outside the door waiting for it to open instead of sitting down reading or having a drink. :rolleyes:

When we were on the Emerald in January, we did not like the new arrangements. On previous cruises we haven't bothered with the production shows (not really our cup of tea), but enjoyed seeing the comedians in the Explorer's Lounge. On the Emerald, they only had those trivia games, princess pop star, etc in the Explorer's Lounge (my apologies to those who do enjoy those but it is a total waste of the space). We managed to see only one comedian in the theatre and had to run to get to the Captain's Circle party in time to hear the Captain's speech. When we complained to a member of the cruise director's staff that we had to rush to go to the early show of the comedian, run to Club Fusion and then to dinner (late traditional), we were told that we should switch to Anytime dining to match the anytime entertainment. Why should we change? :mad: We like meeting people with the assigned dining and why should we have to wait for a table and get less than the excellent service we're used to in the MDR with our assigned staff?

I really hope that anytime entertainment doesn't reach the Grand before November (or they realize that it doesn't work and drop it by then).

Well it looks like you'll be quite happy standing outside the door waiting for it to open instead of sitting down reading or having a drink. :rolleyes:

I'm sorry, HappyCruiser, I am completely missing the point of your reply to my post? I didn't have to wait for a door to open and could take my drink into the theatre.

When we were on the Emerald in January, we did not like the new arrangements. On previous cruises we haven't bothered with the production shows (not really our cup of tea), but enjoyed seeing the comedians in the Explorer's Lounge. On the Emerald, they only had those trivia games, princess pop star, etc in the Explorer's Lounge (my apologies to those who do enjoy those but it is a total waste of the space). We managed to see only one comedian in the theatre and had to run to get to the Captain's Circle party in time to hear the Captain's speech. When we complained to a member of the cruise director's staff that we had to rush to go to the early show of the comedian, run to Club Fusion and then to dinner (late traditional), we were told that we should switch to Anytime dining to match the anytime entertainment. Why should we change? :mad: We like meeting people with the assigned dining and why should we have to wait for a table and get less than the excellent service we're used to in the MDR with our assigned staff?

I really hope that anytime entertainment doesn't reach the Grand before November (or they realize that it doesn't work and drop it by then).

My experience, FawnRiver, was quite the opposite! Plenty of time to get ready for dinner around 6, go get a Happy Hour cocktail and easily get a seat in the Theatre for the early show. Finish and wander down to the MDR ready for my meal at 8.15 after which I could then go off to Club Fusion either for music, or the Late shows in there. Or, vice versa, listen to music early on, eat dinner, then off to the theatre for the show!

My experience, FawnRiver, was quite the opposite! Plenty of time to get ready for dinner around 6, go get a Happy Hour cocktail and easily get a seat in the Theatre for the early show. Finish and wander down to the MDR ready for my meal at 8.15 after which I could then go off to Club Fusion either for music, or the Late shows in there. Or, vice versa, listen to music early on, eat dinner, then off to the theatre for the show!

Thank you. You've just confirmed my initial thought about the theater show times. They did nothing to alleviate the 8:30 show crowding, and simply split the audience that previously attended the late shows, which were not nearly as much an issue in the first place.

I think the real issue is that all those people in 6pm traditional dining, who typically had the biggest issue getting seats in the Princess Theater still have that same issue. It's the very early or late diners who now have two show times to choose from. But that wasn't a big issue for them in the first place.

We were on the Sapphire last week.

We noticed that a lot of the game shows and stuff have moved to Explorers until about 10pm, after which the rock band had a few sets.

They did have recorded ballroom music in Fusion sometimes. My husband and I went in to it on the last night - we were the only people there aside from three waiters.

Archived